Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

6781 - 6800 of 6941 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Dont miss the headlights switch...
Frank, good point. In this project car, whoever did the prior work, the bulb and the wire leading to that switch is simply not there. I will need to drop the lower bolster panel and find where it went (when I get a little more time).

Regards,
D

·
Registered
946 Posts
How do you access the "Headlight Switch" bulb..?

I've recently developed intermittent lighting at this switch.

--
Just to access the bulb, pull the headlight switch lever toward you (as you switching on the fog light), just a bit harder, it comes off. You will see a very large nut, loosen it and entire cover comes off, giving you access to the bulb (in the corner)

Regards,
D

EDIT : Video...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Which of these is for the light behind the gas gauge? I can't quite make out the socket on your pic.

Instrument Panel Light Bulb; Clear Push-In Bulb; 12V/2W
P/N: 0015445594 (main illumination bulbs, black sockets in the pic above)

Instrument Panel Light; 12V/1.2W Instrument/Dashboard Bulb; With Socket Bulb Soldered In
P/N: 2721MF (all the rest of the bulbs cluster bulbs blue sockets in the pic above)

Thanks for the great post!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Which of these is for the light behind the gas gauge? I can't quite make out the socket on your pic.

Instrument Panel Light Bulb; Clear Push-In Bulb; 12V/2W
P/N: 0015445594 (main illumination bulbs, black sockets in the pic above)

Instrument Panel Light; 12V/1.2W Instrument/Dashboard Bulb; With Socket Bulb Soldered In
P/N: 2721MF (all the rest of the bulbs cluster bulbs blue sockets in the pic above)

Thanks for the great post!
Cheers,

Someone else's pic, which one?

The blue fitting is 12V/1.2W Instrument/Dashboard Bulb; With Socket Bulb Soldered In
P/N: 2721MF

Larger black fitting (4 in the row with green squiggly lines) Clear Push-In Bulb; 12V/2W
P/N: 0015445594

Regards,
D

P.S. #26 and #32 in the diagram here if anyone needs MB part number https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/fg/129066/536/54/585/

·
Registered
309 Posts
Opinions on brake fluid flush?

Replacing the hoses, should I do a fluid flush first with old hoses on? Then install new hoses and bleed or will it not make a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Today I drove 80 miles to a Pick & Pull in Fairfield to look at a 1996 SL500. I wanted to learn a few things - such as how many bulbs and what type are behind the instrument cluster. Well, I pulled it out but couldn't remove it because the steering wheel was too close.

Wanted some plastic parts by the wiper on the firewall - those were gone.

I have mentioned this mysterious spring clip that literally fell out when I removed the upper padding of the console storage compartment - There was no evidence of it in the junked SL.

The thing seems to latch and unlatch fine now (my mechanic friend plugged the leak I referenced earlier). I am wondering if somebody in the 22 years just dropped this in?

I will reassemble the padding without this clip if I can't find an answer - but as I say IT WAS ALSO MISSING FROM THE JUNKED SL500.

I'm wondering if the story of the rattling door for years in a car (urban myth?) and once disassembled they found a Coke bottle - if this doesn't belong in there. :)

One other thing I observed - this car looked like hell. My car, at now 191,000 miles will turn 200,000 sometime this year and it will just be a number. Amazing that there could be such a disparity in 2 cars of the same year, make and model. One other observation: A car is on a downward spiral when people use incorrect fasteners just to make something fit. Meaning they don't really care. To remove the pad on the junked car, was 3 8mm bolts and the original T20 screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Enter the "Winter Mode"... Temperatures drooping so is the moisture, liberally applied the leather treatment to keep it soft, will let it sit for a day, then buff it out

Wheels with all season tires

Regards,
D

·
Registered
946 Posts
I want to re-do all the seat skins to somewhat "Mille Miglia" edition, black seats with red inserts and door car inserts. I think this R170 steering wheel will match nicely, got a great deal on it, was little dirty, but cleaned up and buffed out really well:

Mounted this morning

Feels much more comfortable that the original, but not sure yet if I like it as much as the later models or R129/R170, will see...

Regards,
D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just got back my 1999 R129. Had the seats redone ( cover and padding ) and also the headliner. Big change.

The seats were looking tired and the headliner was starting to show it age. Now it all feels like new again. :grin

-

-

·
Registered
125 Posts
this mysterious spring clip
That looks strangely familiar to me - I replaced the black plastic push-button that allows the console cover to slide back and forth and I wonder if it somehow goes around that? Sorry I don't have anything better than that to add to the conversation.

Edit: is it the spring circled in red below? That keeps tension on the latch bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Mityvac 7201: After seeing someone using it on M119, I asked for it, "Santa" brought one.

One of the best "tools" in the garage! Changed oil in SL320 and C280, didn't even change my clothing, just rubber gloves. This thing is excellent! 8.8 liter capacity is perfect!!! And with filter being on the top - no easier way to change oil!!! Why haven't I gotten this thing sooner? Definitely recommend for MB!!!

Regards,
D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just got back my 1999 R129. Had the seats redone ( cover and padding ) and also the headliner. Big change.

The seats were looking tired and the headliner was starting to show it age. Now it all feels like new again. :grin
Pics? Who did the work? I’m in SoCal also and will need to replace my seat covers before too long.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So I decided to stop by a local pick-a-part, it appears that their online "public" inventory is not always right, this one was listed as "1991 500 series". I certainly didn't think it would be SL500, but it was... I don't know how long has it been there, someone picked this thing quite a bit before me

IMG956425 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

IMG956422 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Still managed few pieces for personal inventory

20190209_141526~2 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Now that I have a complete set of spare fogs, going to try the Cerium Oxide on them to see how much can the glass be polished back to "life". Anyone tried?

Under the hood, someone definitely went through! However, it does have aluminum oiler tubes, I may make another trip tomorrow just for them. Didn't have all the tools with me today...

Regards,
D

·
Registered
69 Posts
So I decided to stop by a local pick-a-part, it appears that their online "public" inventory is not always right, this one was listed as "1991 500 series". I certainly didn't think it would be SL500, but it was... I don't know how long has it been there, someone picked this thing quite a bit before me

IMG956425 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

IMG956422 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Still managed few pieces for personal inventory

20190209_141526~2 by Duh_Vinci, on Flickr

Now that I have a complete set of spare fogs, going to try the Cerium Oxide on them to see how much can the glass be polished back to "life". Anyone tried?

Under the hood, someone definitely went through! However, it does have aluminum oiler tubes, I may make another trip tomorrow just for them. Didn't have all the tools with me today...

Regards,
D
Just curious how much that lot was ?

·
Registered
946 Posts
6781 - 6800 of 6941 Posts