Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6074 Posts

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
Last weekend's project-W124 400E springs installed on the teal 2.6 since the rears were sagging. Came off a friend's 2.6, switched him over to w124 Eibachs a couple yrs ago.
1 coil cut in the rear, 2 coils in front. Car rides around stock height (1 in fender gap front/rear) Not going lower on this car since it's my daily driver.
Also did new strut mounts/dust boots and bump stops.
No pics yet, but I'll get some this weekend.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
275 Posts
Do you guys ever worry about putting too much money into a car that isn't worth it? Trans started slipping this weekend and I'm looking at $2500-$3k for a good replacement. This would put me close to having $10k into the car and I'd definitely never see the return. I don't plan on ever selling it, but still hurts to write the check.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,895 Posts
These cars are high maintenance cars. My very high stack of maintenance records if I ever added them up for the last 30 years would probably be the same or higher than the original $29,995 spent on the car. Probably be half that if I had done all the work as DIY. Still not too bad. At least the car is no longer loosing value every day compared to a new car.

At this point your highest maintenance cost that is not a DIY is the transmission. If you can handle a manual transmission, the cost would be half and would last the next 300K miles.
Mine is at ~200K miles now, no issues. They are also a lot more fun to drive and that would increase the value of your car by the amount you put in to swap it. It is also a DIY job.

I think most who have done this swap are happy with the results.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
28 Posts
Do you guys ever worry about putting too much money into a car that isn't worth it? Trans started slipping this weekend and I'm looking at $2500-$3k for a good replacement. This would put me close to having $10k into the car and I'd definitely never see the return. I don't plan on ever selling it, but still hurts to write the check.
If you love it that much and you don't intend to sell, I think it's fine to spend that much in repair. If you're like me and you only like older cars, it's better than spending 5,6k in another shitbox with more repairs to do afterwards.
It's a 30 year old car after all, they are reliable but age shows no mercy, you get that fixed and you shouldn't have any more trans issues, at least not in the near future.

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
1,354 Posts
Not much choice if you don't intend to sell it unless your plan is it to keep it as a garage decoration. Consider DIY if cost is an issue or manual swap which could be done for $3k or thereabouts.

Think of it this way, $10k is about how much a new C-Class depreciates in its first 6mos of ownership.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
275 Posts
All fair points, I used to throw quite a bit of money into cars for my own pleasure and never questioned it. Going through the process of buying a house currently and I think thats changing my old point of view, although I can't really argue against it.

I thought about the manual swap, but I honestly like the auto and would like to do it properly and have it driving "like new". I have an S2000 in the garage and I'd be disappointed with anything but that level of shifter so I don't think I'd enjoy the manual. Spoke with my mechanic yesterday and he said he could probably get me a rebuild done locally for about $2k, but he knows how particular I am and suggested I go with the Sun Valley fully rebuilt and tested trans over a local rebuild.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
Definitely agree w/ what everyone has said so far. Just like Dolucasi, my stack of maintenance records is pretty close to $30K now since new. It's only in the last 10 yrs costs went down, since I learned DIY. The way I see it, big jobs like the transmission are very rare. You figure the original one lasted 31 yrs, so the next one will last at least that if taken care of.

$3K is about the going rate for a transmission r&r around here as well. I have gone the DIY route and did an auto trans swap in my buddy's 2.6, but it was a lot of labor. Total cost though was around $500, because we bought a trashed car w/ a rebuilt transmission already in it.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
275 Posts
Sun Valley will ship me one of their very well fully rebuilt and tested units for $1950. Local mechanic thinks around $1000 to replace, assuming he's going to need to drop it a couple times to adjust the modulator. He told me it usually takes him longer to adjust them than just drop it in.

I mean the car would be essentially fully rebuilt by that point which does make me excited, just really hard to write a $3k check for a $5-6k car on a good day.

·
W201 Moderator
89 190E2.6- 5-speed Manual, 95 E320 Sportsline-sold, 2001 E320 4matic Wagon-sold
2,895 Posts
Sun Valley will ship me one of their very well fully rebuilt and tested units for $1950. Local mechanic thinks around $1000 to replace, assuming he's going to need to drop it a couple times to adjust the modulator. He told me it usually takes him longer to adjust them than just drop it in.

I mean the car would be essentially fully rebuilt by that point which does make me excited, just really hard to write a $3k check for a $5-6k car on a good day.
Yes it is a hard pill to swallow looking at from that angle but another new european car maintenance is just as expensive, probably more so. I would look at the dollars, as opposed to percentage of the car's worth. At this point it is just maintaining a car.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
28 Posts
Assh*le didn't wanted to come off, but guess who won.. :rolleyes:
Next in the "To do List" is dropping the rear subframe and start replacing pretty much everything from the transmission arms to the wheel bearings, and also the fuel filter. Hopefully I can start attacking on the esthetic part of the car afterwards.
IMG_20200429_180948.jpg

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
Ahh the tie rod end gave you trouble? Did mine last yr and used one of those popper tools and an impact wrench to knock it off. Didn't stand a chance!

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
28 Posts
Ahh the tie rod end gave you trouble? Did mine last yr and used one of those popper tools and an impact wrench to knock it off. Didn't stand a chance!
Removing them from the steering knuckle was already frustrating, until I found an inexpensive tool to remove them and it worked just fine.
But the last tie rod that I had to replace succeeded in piling up the dirt in the thread which is screwed to sway bar, and this one was nasty to remove.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maranelloboy05, I also think you made the right decision. I faced a similar dilemma a couple of years ago. I had to replace my airbag control module. It was $2,500. Like you, I plan to keep my W201 forever. Mine's a pristine low mileage one so I felt that justified my decision to spend that kind of money on it. In the last year or so I've been watching values for such W201s start to rise in value thanks to the significant rise in value of the Evo IIs. Now I don't feel quite so badly about spending that amount of money and you shouldn't either. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
89 190E 2.6 x2
1,492 Posts
Installed one of these cheap $15 keyless entry systems in my teal 2.6. Only took me about 20 minutes to get everything wired up. All you have to do is tap into 3 wires at the vacuum pump and it's done. My door locks had stopped working and I was getting tired of unlocking it from the trunk.

·
Registered
Mercedes 190E w201
28 Posts
Maranelloboy05, your 190E is also a 512 almandinrot ( garnet red ) isn't it? Do you know the trim color code by any chance?

I have a touch-up to do on the bumper ...
Thanks

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
275 Posts
Maranelloboy05, your 190E is also a 512 almandinrot ( garnet red ) isn't it? Do you know the trim color code by any chance?

I have a touch-up to do on the bumper ...
Thanks
Navarrarot, (521) always remember it because it’s kinda the opposite of 512. Keep in mind it’s got a satin clear coat finish, not a gloss or matte.

·
Registered
1989 190e 2.6
275 Posts
Found a split axle boot, bad balljoint and trashed diff mounts in the rear end of my S2000 so the 190 hasn't seen much attention lately. Originally ordered the wrong length bolts but got the new ones today and 15mm rear spacers are now installed. Looks miles better, oddly found that the rear track width is 20mm less than the front on our cars so went a little more than that and I think the rear sits perfectly now. Still planning to drop the front to #1 pads and then I might actually be happy with how it sits.

This week I'm doing a full transmission drain, new filter and removing the shift kit to see if I can make the trans last the summer at least.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,395 Posts
Today Was Tow-Day

The 8 valve’s right rear metal brake line popped spilling brake fluid and rendering the brakes non-operational. The motor ran correctly, however. I don’t have a lift to repair and replace metal brake lines.
So here goes the delivery to Dorgler. I rented a trailer, drove the car onto the trailer braking with what was left of the brake pedal, drove along a Brooklyn/Queens roadway (Atlantic Avenue), and dropped off the car. I returned the trailer.

Job done.

6021 - 6040 of 6074 Posts