Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

5781 - 5791 of 5791 Posts

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
8,422 Posts
The rebuilt harmonic balancer appears as though it isn't level, so there's a wobble causing a lovely belt screech. Not squeal, it is such a loud screech that ear protection is required.

Not thrilled.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
The rebuilt harmonic balancer appears as though it isn't level, so there's a wobble causing a lovely belt screech. Not squeal, it is such a loud screech that ear protection is required.

Not thrilled.
Ouch! So sorry to read this!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
W201, W212, W221, & W222 Moderator
8,422 Posts
Well, I was right.

You can see some oscillation on the side that bolts up to the crank when I chuck it up from the front. You can see from the side it rotates fairly true when chucked up on that face.

Now, there wasn't much to bite on, so I dialed down the lathe to 350RPM so the whole thing didn't feel like flying at me or across the shop. You can DEFINITELY see it bob and weave when I chuck it up by the crank side:

I'm more angry now.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I didn't do it, but finally got my Sportline springs installed, I don't like messing with springs so had a local shop do it.
#1 pads all around with 2.6 Sportline Springs and EVO 1 wheels.

View attachment 2605668
Looks good I got a few sets of sportline springs if you know anyone looking for some. Dont like messing with springs either but I've done it handful of times by now takes a couple hours. Little easier on my car because it has sportline springs from factory easier to remove than a non sportline spring.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
W201 Moderator
2,219 Posts
Looking good! You will need to space out the front of the fender. I have almost the same set-up thanks to SEC560 and PN187. #2 pads but the sportline sring is slightly cut (just a bit) and my rims are not as wide. Barely rubs on one side under extreme conditions. Just have to find the time to put PN187's spacers in.

- Cheers!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looking good! You will need to space out the front of the fender. I have almost the same set-up thanks to SEC560 and PN187. #2 pads but the sportline sring is slightly cut (just a bit) and my rims are not as wide. Barely rubs on one side under extreme conditions. Just have to find the time to put PN187's spacers in.

- Cheers!
I'm not sure how but its not rubbing currently. It rubbed on stock springs but same bumps and it doesn't now.

·
W201 Moderator
2,219 Posts
I thought mine did not rub either but the paint on a tiny corner of the fender keeps disappearing after months of driving. So no sounds, just paint. I'm not sure what condition does it. Probably extreme right turn while going over a bump?

Are you using 205/50's?

BTW, this is also a strong function of struts. But if yours is not rubbing, don't sweat it, keep as is.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yeah 205/50s. Honestly I work from home and have another car so I really don't put many miles on it so doesn't matter to me. I'll eventually space the fenders just to be sure.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Car looks good, maranello. Love the color, huge fan of burgundy. I think we cut dolucasi's front springs about half a coil. Evened it out a bit because the front was a little high compared to the back. Personally I think a 201 looks best with a tiny bit of forward rake.

-----

Just got 27.94 mpg in my 201 last fill up, all freeway other than a few short around town trips. Previous best was about 26 mpg when the car was auto and that was completely all freeway driving to San Diego and back. Average over all is up about 2 mpg since swapping 5spd.

5781 - 5791 of 5791 Posts