Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1061 - 1080 of 1091 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,828 Posts
The spacers fit very well and are hub-centric. Yet I always had serious vibrations at highway speeds which completely disappeared when I just installed wheels that fit the W123.

·
Registered
1998 C280, 1984 300D, 1985 380 SL, 2009 E350
326 Posts
Just purchased a 1998 C280! 80 miles from my home. Smelled like dead rats inside but car drove impeccably! Clay bar, symbol wax, deep cleaning of leather seats, throwing out old cabin filter (looked and smelled like it was never changed)... after 4 hours of this work the car looked and smelled new! Also installed K&N air filter for extra HP! Just kidding,. don't believe it makes a big difference but I like the quality and don't live in a dusty area.
- Prior to this C280, I had an '84 300D and '85 380SL apart from new benzes as DDs which I don't find have any of the charm of these 20++ yr old MBs

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,828 Posts
I discovered the sweet sweet smell of yet another set of diesel return hoses gone bad…

·
Registered
'95 C220 "Elegance"
10 Posts
TL;DR I wrecked my clockspring :(

So there I was, trying to remove my steering wheel to redo the stitching on it (which at this point was very obviously coming apart) when all of a sudden, poof! Like a party streamer, I pulled on the clockspring and the wires spilled out on me. It was a mess. Any of you seen the TV show "LOST"? In the Pilot, Jack the spinal surgeon tells Kate how one time he cut the spinal cord of a young girl and spinal tissue came flying out like angel hair. They don't ever show a clip of this happening, but that is kind of what I imagine it was like.

I spent the next ten minutes tediously rewinding and gently reassembling. When I put the steering wheel back on (which still wasn't restitched yet obv), I tightened everything down, and went for a test drive. I turn the steering wheel to the left, and I hear a snap from the dash. "Oh no," I think "that was the clockspring wires." Next thing I know I'm on EBAY ordering a cheap clockspring from China, with an ETA of about two weeks.

So, long-story-short, if you are not an idiot, feel free to remove the steering wheel. However, if you find your curiosity often gets the best of you, I say to you: don't remove your stering wheel.

BTW I never plugged in the airbag. I had simply made a decision to be lazy and install it after the test drive. That may have saved me ordering a new airbag at the best, and possibly life at the worst.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
sigh Replaced the return hoses again…

Also purchased a Graf waterpump to replace my car’s leaky unit. Once I have installed the new pump, I’ll attempt to repair the old one; if that doesn’t work, oh well.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Today I had my parking brake break on me. So I'll have to check the spring by the parking brake pedal.

·
Registered
1996 C250 TD Elegance Auto
2 Posts
Today I repaired a snapped ground wire for the right side indicators to get those working, and did a little diagnosing on the central locking and decided it should be fine with just new batteries in the fob :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well, today the leaky water pump became a whole lot leakier. So I know what I'll be doing this weekend. And it doesn't involve my OM606 project...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Who'd have thunk that a $1 spring could take two days to replace? I didn't even get to the water pump! But at least the parking brake is working again.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Replacing the water pump is much harder than I imagined.

Yesterday I managed to remove the water pump without removing the entire water pump housing. But it required me to remove the whole tensioner mechanism and tape up the tensioner pivot hole. The good news is that the MB water pump gaster fits like a glove on the Graf pump, and the perceived quality of the Graf is very high. However, I couldn't help but notice with some concern that the Graf pump's blades are shorter than the MB unit, which carries a 603 part number.

Crankset Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive lighting

I'm not going to be able to complete the installation today. But I've closed up the engine well enough to not get dust inside until next weekend, unless by some miracle I can get it done during the week after hours. This is a job that requires starting and finishing without interruptions.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well, gosh, darn it...

It seems the replacement water pump is also a slightly bigger water pump. It has a 72mm impeller, while my old pump has a 69mm impeller. This results in the new water pump not fitting inside the water pump housing on my OM605. Since a new water pump housing is cheaper than a new water pump, it looks like my OM605 is receiving an unintended upgrade, as is my OM606.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have decided to install the OM606's water pump into the OM605, while I'm waiting for the housings to arrive from Germany. Apparently, the weather has been playing havoc on the shipping of everything. Sadly, this will only be a temporary fix as the OM606's pump has the nylon impeller. Sure, it's new and looks fine. But I'm not waiting for it to fail. I'll drive this way for only as long as I need.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Well, I gave her a ride...

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Car

All I know now is that the power steering somehow broke clean off. I'll investigate on Saturday.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
So, somehow the lugs on the power steering unit broke clean off.

Gas Metal Font Telephone Rust

Fortunately, the engine side is fine. The bracket didn't break.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

The power steering is relatively easily obtainable and relatively inexpensive to buy 2nd hand. That engine bracket would be much, MUCH harder to replace...

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I had ordered two 2nd hand PS pumps, and they arrived today. Both are in near-perfect condition, but the bolts on my W202 are in bad shape. I'll try to get new bolts tomorrow, but most likely only during next week.

So, I'll prioritise fixing the W123's water hoses instead.

And then this happened...

The day began with such promise.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I replaced the power steering pump today. I bled it without the engine running, then with the engine running. I also managed to identify an annoying noise on the engine as the not-quite-two-years-old tensioner damper. I think I managed to fix it by adding two washers and compressing the bolt better. I didn't torque any of the bolts higher than what the manual says, though - 25 Nm for all of them.

Tomorrow I'll be taking her for my groceries shopping. But I'm sure she's fine now.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
So, my wiper gave out on Thursday.

At some point I had to pull over on the highway, get out in the rain and start pushing and pulling the wiper to get it moving. Then I noticed that the elliptical mechanism started making randomly skew elliptical archs, before finally just failing entirely. Fortunately, the wiper kept swinging left to right, albeit in a simple circular arch.

I order and received a 2nd hand replacement, which I will open up and inspect, clean and lubricate properly before installing. But then I'll be opening up, cleaning and inspecting my car's mechanism to determine what needs to be replaced.

1061 - 1080 of 1091 Posts