Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1001 - 1006 of 1006 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,112 Posts
Friday I was in town for groceries and a blood test. On my way home, I noticed a stream of liquid following my car. Fortunately I was still in the parking area of the nearest mall.

Wouldn't you know it? The bloody fuel line from the tank to the engine came off. Again. And the same bloody fuel line refused to get back onto the steel line.

So I patched it up as good as I could and went to make two more stops (which would have been one if the parts store had both sizes of fuel hose I wanted...) before heading home to fix up my W123.

Today, after reassembling the W123's transmission, I tackled the fuel line. This time I used proper fuel hose, instead of the clear PVC hose I used last time because I couldn't find fuel hose of that size (sound familiar?) This hose seems to really fit much better than the clear hose, so here's hoping that's the end of that.

·
Registered
1998 w202
9 Posts
Well, wasn't today, but yesterday I washed my car and finally took some more time to clean the grime and brake gunk that caked all over my wheelies! I feel so accomplished right now. :D I also wanted to polish, but my friend lost my damn clay bars, so i lost motivation. I wanted to claybar and rewash before i polished and waxed.

I also put in some of that fuel injector cleaner before i filled up on gas. Perhaps a placebo effect on the butt dyno, but my 202 seems like it has just a teensy little more kick from any gear.

Last night i ALSO took a photoshoot of my car with a few other friends (chutoyy on mymbonline). Tell me what you think: i'm still kind of new to taking shots. Photos taken with Canon SD1000 7.1MP

And I know, i want to get out of stock wheels, as well as get dumped on some H&R's, but it's too much of a long term liability where i won't be able to get up my driveway without scraping my exhaust and bumpers. :(

beautiful car!

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,112 Posts
Wow, it's been a while...

For a few weeks I have had my car start with difficulty first thing in the morning. She would sound like firing up, then just die. Thanks to the electric fuel pump, I would then hear bubbles in the fuel tank. She would always eventually start, but only after considerable cranking - it's like a fuel filter service everyday!

So I ordered new fuel hoses from MB and Viton o-rings. I got the fuel lines two days later. I waited for three weeks for the o-rings...

Saturday I finally got the o-rings, and I started replacing the fuel hoses. Since I had to remove the intake manifold anyways to get to the fuel system, I had ordered M6 threaded inserts to fix the stripped holes. With the intake ports duly taped and cover, I installed the threaded inserts.

I then replaced the o-rings on the new fuel hoses with the Viton o-rings I purchased (who puts non-fuel resistant o-rings on fuel hoses anyways? WTF, Mercedes?) and started replacing the hoses. I had wanted to strip the shut-off valve and replace its o-rings as well, but wouldn't you know, one of the screws' head is stripped. I was hoping that the SOV would be fine...

Well, an initial test showed fuel leaking from - you guessed it - the SOV, the one thing that I could not fix.

Still, I needed my car and decided to drive here as is. She couldn't get worse than what she was.

Turns out the weekend was a mixed bag: Today she started like a diesel should, on the first turn of the key:)(y). But it turns out that the intake manifold screws are not M6, like the inserts I bought; they're M7 (who uses M7? WTF, Mercedes?):((n) Good thing I only attempted to fix the threads that were already not working, leaving the working threads alone for now.

·
Registered
2000 W202 Mercedes-Benz C250 Turbodiesel
1,439 Posts
Yup, those are M7. Don't bother with M7 inserts - they're about 10 times the price of M8 ones. Rather go with M8 - the holes in the intake manifold are large enough to accommodate M8 scews.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
the holes in the intake manifold are large enough to accommodate M8 screws.
I didn't even bother to check. I'll do that later this week, perhaps even later today. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
Turns out the weekend was a mixed bag...
No. It turned out to have been a complete waste of time. She only started first time yesterday because fewer hours have passed between me arriving home on Sunday night and leaving for work on Monday morning than the number of hours that passed between me arriving home from work yesterday afternoon and leaving for work this morning...

1001 - 1006 of 1006 Posts