Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11941 - 11960 of 11962 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
1,135 Posts
Both, along the bottom edge of each door card, which is flush with the bottom of the door, on the seam between the door card and the bottom of the door, (with half on the door card and half on the bottom of the door, about 1/2" on either side, which also helped to tight seal bottom of door card). From your question, I wonder if SEC doors are different from SEL doors. Have never looked closely.
Sounds like it worked as intended--I'm glad you're pleased with the result.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,394 Posts
I got my gizmo in today, won't install til Friday, tomorrow afternoon I'll be about worthless after the Feast and my son's house

Tool Hand tool Composite material Metal Auto part

Wood Tool Metal Auto part Pipe

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,692 Posts
Oh, how I love the project car cha-cha: one step forward, two steps back, and three steps sideways...

Today I kinda sorta got the radiator plumbing done for the first run, then I realised I haven't made a plan to connect power to the glow plugs yet. But I would still have to drain the oil from the leaky engine.

So, while the engine was suspended high off the ground, I discovered to my joy and delight that the sump drain plug is stuck, and its head is so round that not even a vice grip can get a hold on it! Now I'm off to look for a bolt extraction tool that I hopefully don't have to import.

Reactions: luckymike

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,833 Posts
Nothing at all, darn it!

It snowed just a little here and a fair amount more to the north & west.
The state & surrounding towns in those directions treated the roadways with salt & sand…. Lots of it!

Sooooo that’s it till spring of 2022!
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

The highway boys must have loved the overtime!

M

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Friends adopted after years of trying. Of course, she became pregnant soon after. I congratulated them on doing it the old fashioned way. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Yeah, the "old fashioned way" is way more fun

Happy belated Bird Eating Day to you too

Nothing at all, darn it!

It snowed just a little here and a fair amount more to the north & west.
The state & surrounding towns in those directions treated the roadways with salt & sand…. Lots of it!

Sooooo that’s it till spring of 2022!
View attachment 2725466
The highway boys must have loved the overtime!

M
That looks like one of our heavy frosts here

Oh and I ain't done nothing either, a new meds reaction has me down with some issues on just one arm and hand, blisters that burn, pain from shoulder down to finger tips (no, the ticker is in good shape, BP is normal) even my skin hurts, visit the Doc in the AM

·
Registered
1983 300SD
949 Posts
Over the holiday, I installed new (to me) fog lights in my 300SD, along with amber turn signals. The original fogs were horribly cracked, so I found some on eBay pretty reasonably. I have Euro lights to install, but the headlights that came with the car (aftermarket LEDs), while looking a bit out of place on an 80s car, LIGHT UP THE ROAD. They have a nice cutoff, and don't seem to blind oncoming drivers (no flashes from others, an I drove at my car with the wife's Subaru without issue). Also took the blower motor out of the SDL in preparation for changing it out, as it has started squeeking at startup and on low speed.

Attachments

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,692 Posts
I went to the dealership to see for myself what they had to show me. They showed me that the hubs are square and concentric, and the disc brakes, while not original MB, are in perfect condition too. But the transmission mount (1242400618, because that's what MB gave me saying that 1232402518 is NLA) is too soft for the powerful engine (although the W124 with the same M103 uses 1242400618; interestingly, the W126 300SDL with OM603 also uses 1242400618, according to the EPC) resulting in the tranny hitting the tunnel. Also, the diff rubber is shot.

I decided to let them fix it, since they're giving me a 25% discount.

On my way back to work I picked up a set of bolt extractors. Here's hoping...

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,833 Posts
Those extractors/‘easy outs’ look terrific!

I bought a similar set a number of years ago and only one was broken over time, that by a friend massaging a VW Beetle at the time….

M

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
They better work; I can’t find or afford another oil pan…

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I honestly think it would be better to just drill a hole through the seized bolt, then tap it with M10 thread and use that as the new drain hole. But I'm going to try to remove it first, using heat, thread penetrant etc.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,485 Posts
Those screw type extractors are an oxymoron. The tighter they go in the more they tend to expand the thing you're trying to extract. This style is a little better.

Or this one, which doesn't go in as deep

Or, use an oil extractor and never open the drain again...

·
Registered
9,394 Posts
Oh and I ain't done nothing either, a new meds reaction has me down with some issues on just one arm and hand, blisters that burn, pain from shoulder down to finger tips (no, the ticker is in good shape, BP is normal) even my skin hurts, visit the Doc in the AM
I'm BAAACK :cool: Turns out it was a form of shingles (thanks a LOT Chicken Pox from my childhood) Getting better with some MORE (different) meds and got the gizmo installed yesterday, it's hard enough getting under there by myself so no pics, sorry, but I DID mark with painters tape where the notch is cut into the sway bar. SO much easier placing the link bar. Now she's ready for a trip to get the tyres rebalanced, noticed a vibration at higher speeds the other week. Good tread on all 4, newer flex discs still in good shape. Now to start gathering brake parts for the last thing not done yet, still good as far as pads but I know the shoes are shot

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,371 Posts
Well, it wasn't today but it was over the last nine days. We drove our SEL to Texas and back. Three days each way. About 3,600 miles. What a blast. We included some out of the way two-lane roads with nice high speeds. I'm preaching to the choir when I praise this car for highway competence and comfort. Absolutely LOVE IT.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
Well, we are not going as far at Texas tomorrow, just two hours south to Delray Beach to meet with five of my wife's cousins. They will have great fun catching up, while I sit quietly aside and marvel at how well they all look. No way I could keep up with the conversation.

Meanwhile, as you may recall, my driver side turn signal was stolen by some dastardly cad. Replacement arrived, a URO amber lens for $20. Fits perfectly, unlike URO's rubber junk. I also bought a bulb holder and pigtail for$3 from Jackson Electric, (somehow it popped up on google) instead of the $30-40 product that would fit. It is slightly smaller than that needed. Good old duct tape keeps it in place, and if it continues to work so well I will probably loctite it in. So far so good. (I put a new bulb in, so it should not need replacing any time soon).

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
917 Posts
just two hours south to Delray Beach
One hour twenty minutes. Yesterday went pretty much as described above, except that I can again confirm what everybody says. The more you drive these cars, the more they love it. Down to Delray at 75 when traffic allowed, coming back 80-85, just cruising along, traffic about the same. Stone cold sober. no highway patrol in sight. Exhilarating.

11941 - 11960 of 11962 Posts