Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11841 - 11860 of 11945 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,378 Posts
Now for something comPLETELY different . . . . . just got done overhauling / resealing an SLS pump I got the other day, an anonymous benefactor sent me a good rebuildable unit and the seal I ordered came in this morning, already had a supply of correct O-rings. When I pull the pump that's on the car I'll check it out and re-overhaul it and have (hopefully) a spare pump

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
847 Posts
There was an old thread about taking apart the rear electric blind roller spring and put it back in tension, I can't find that thread does anyone can help finding it ? my blind is so loose and wont retract

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,819 Posts

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I drove my car back home today…. Maybe 125 leafy two laner miles at 5 to 7 mph over

Dang that car puts me straight into my happy place!

M View attachment 2714622
Is that "Petrol Green" right there ? I like that color you have

Waiting for a correct set of metric crowfoots, got by with the standard set until now, and I don't want to bugger up the SLS pump fitting. A 17mm flare wrench WILL fit onto but no room to turn the durned nut. I can wait a few days more til I drive her again

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,686 Posts
I received the hubs back with the outer bearing races removed. I will install the new wheel-bearings this weekend. I have also extracted the sound system wiring from the W210 harness. Maybe I’ll get to that as well, but my W202’s return hoses need replacing (again…)

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,686 Posts
I replaced the front wheel bearings today, then took her for a drive on the highway.
What a joy!

And what rage over having spent all that money to rid the car of her annoying vibrations, when this was all I had to do.

There is no droning, no shaking, no squealing or sqeaking. Until today I would never have thought that a dragging wheel bearing could cause such vibrations.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
I went out and finished up the install of my "new" SLS pump, tightened the belts that I took loose and out of the way, filled the reservoir (in the back of my mind I kept thinking the horror of starting the car with an empty tank :eek: :eek: :eek:), went to spin over the engine and CLICK, nothing :(, it figures, I haven't run her since July (?). Ok, pulled the negative cable from the battery and am trickle charging. In the meantime I'm in the middle of pulling the remainder of the Becker system out including the factory CD changer, I read recently that Becker no longer supports or has parts for these changers. Since I'm doing all this and having to run new speaker cable I'll pull the factory cables out.

Throwing this out just to test the waters, I don't know what the thing is worth but is there any interest for a Becker 1432 that needs worked on, it did work sorta, sometimes all the speakers worked and sometimes one wouldn't, if the weather turned cool / cold it wouldn't work but would give a loud pop if you left it powered on. Head unit, boot unit (tuner), both amplifiers from behind the seats and the CD changer with whatever cables I get out (intact of course)

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,848 Posts
I replaced the front wheel bearings today, then took her for a drive on the highway.
What a joy! And what rage over having spent all that money to rid the car of her annoying vibrations, when this was all I had to do.
I completely understand. I went through a similar hell. Mine lasted nearly THREE YEARS! But once it's fixed, oh baby. :)

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
I can report that I drove my 350 SDL from NC to upstate NY. About 680 miles so far. I'll return home tomorrow. The entire drive in a single day.
Really good for the car. How's it drive? I'm intrigued about the torque and general experience of this diesel motor.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Since replacing the front wheel bearings, I have noticed that my car still vibrates the same, but less so, on the daily drive to work. Yesterday I took the W123 to work and, sure enough, there’s the same vibration at the same speed as the W126 this morning.

But the W123 handles the vibration much better.

I’m thinking of replacing the rear shocks, but I’m wondering if stiffer shocks wouldn’t offer better damping at highway speeds. Then again, my W123 doesn’t have stiffer shocks either.

In case you’re wondering, the W126 still doesn’t suddenly vibrate again when I drive her on other stretches of road, so far only this one. Yes, she used to vibrate like that all on her own before.

Reactions: ianrandom

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
Since replacing the front wheel bearings, I have noticed that my car still vibrates the same, but less so, on the daily drive to work. Yesterday I took the W123 to work and, sure enough, there’s the same vibration at the same speed as the W126 this morning.

But the W123 handles the vibration much better.

I’m thinking of replacing the rear shocks, but I’m wondering if stiffer shocks wouldn’t offer better damping at highway speeds. Then again, my W123 doesn’t have stiffer shocks either.

In case you’re wondering, theW126 still doesn’t suddenly vibrate again when I drive her on other stretches of road, so far only this one. Yes, she used to vibrate like that all on her own before.
There's a piece of motorway that does that to my cars too.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Really good for the car. How's it drive? I'm intrigued about the torque and general experience of this diesel motor.
Six days and 1500 miles later I can report the SDL performed wonderfully. Off-the-line power is rather laughably puny, but once it gets going there is plenty of power and torque to move with traffic, get aggressive and pass the lunatics who occupy Jersey roads. The SDL possesses a butter smooth ride and my back is eternally grateful for the lounge-chair comfortable seats. Anyone with a bad back can appreciate how important it is to have support in the right places.

I had a LOT of creaking coming from the rear left which I believe is the door rubbing against the sills. The common remedy for that is soft felt taped to the bottom of the door to prevent them rubbing and I'll get to that next week.

On the highway I get just over 24 mpg and that's not too bad for an older car the size of a tank.

Do I prefer driving my 500 SEC? You bet I do! But who wouldn't? I went from a 1.5 year old Camry to this 30 year old SDL and have zero regrets. It was the right move.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
911 Posts
sounds like a great trip.

I had a LOT of creaking coming from the rear left which I believe is the door rubbing against the sills.
You are probably right, but might it also be the door card?

fixing the creaking is the beginning of a lot of ongoing minor maintenance. Just for background, here are the things I did during the pandemic to keep from going stir crazy.

In no particular order or degree of difficulty:
1.Rear deck and under trunk rust cleaned and painted. It was not as bad as I had expected from seeing some others.
2. Remove and Replace (R/R) trunk seal. Much easier after I threw out the garbage URO seal I tried and got an MB.
3.R/R Rear Lens seals.
4. R/R Hood pad.
5. R/R cracked right front amber turn signal lens. This was also URO. Fit perfect, nice color.
6. Clean anodized aluminum trim with AR-2. Shines it up pretty nicely and lasts for about six months. Almost as good is just putting some clear coat paint on a rag. Much easier and cheaper than any other alternative i.e buffing or replacing.
7. Added second stoplights in back so that both red lenses come on, one on each side of back up lights.
8. Painted five rims to renew aluminum color.
9. Installed Kilmat sound deadening pads in one door, under front and rear rugs and trunk. three doors to go. Ongoing.
10. Replaced driver side door latch. Nobody told me that, when the police use a jimmy to open a locked car, it often breaks the latch.
11. Grreased door hinges, with Oregon chainsaw (blue) grease. Really easy maintence that is often overlooked.
12. Greased window slider mechanism (Lucas red) in one door; will do others as sound deadener installed.
13. Replaced all fuses and cleaned contacts (used Kent's Mercedes Source kit).
14, Cleaned rust and painted battery tray.
15. Changed power steering fluid. Brake fluid at next servicing.
16. Changed motor mounts.
17. Pool Noodled rear seat. Driver's seat is next.

There are a couple of other ongoing projects. Stay tuned.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,455 Posts
not too bad for an older car the size of a tank.
About 10 years ago, when mine had 2 or 3 working glow plugs, I had to drive it one cold morning. There was a crew of carpenters working on the outside of my house that day. When I fired it up, and it farted and smoked like crazy, the crew foreman yelled out "That thing sounds like a German tank!"

"It is a German tank", I yelled back...

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
18,056 Posts
Six days and 1500 miles later I can report the SDL performed wonderfully. Off-the-line power is rather laughably puny, but once it gets going there is plenty of power and torque to move with traffic, get aggressive and pass the lunatics who occupy Jersey roads. The SDL possesses a butter smooth ride and my back is eternally grateful for the lounge-chair comfortable seats. Anyone with a bad back can appreciate how important it is to have support in the right places.

I had a LOT of creaking coming from the rear left which I believe is the door rubbing against the sills. The common remedy for that is soft felt taped to the bottom of the door to prevent them rubbing and I'll get to that next week.

On the highway I get just over 24 mpg and that's not too bad for an older car the size of a tank.

Do I prefer driving my 500 SEC? You bet I do! But who wouldn't? I went from a 1.5 year old Camry to this 30 year old SDL and have zero regrets. It was the right move.
I'm surprised at off the line puny. But it moves well on the highway?

Have to agree about the seats. The ones in my SE in particular, are just amazing. You can literally just jump out of the car after a long journey. So spacious but supportive.

The creaking can absolutely ruin the car! Hate it, but an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm surprised at off the line puny. But it moves well on the highway?

Have to agree about the seats. The ones in my SE in particular, are just amazing. You can literally just jump out of the car after a long journey. So spacious but supportive.

The creaking can absolutely ruin the car! Hate it, but an easy fix.
It absolutely moves on the highway. I had no problems at all with that, which is surprising when you consider how large the car it. It's clearly designed to be at it best on the highway. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

·
1987 & 1991 C126
5,819 Posts
The only driveability issues I’ve had with my C126s have been intermittent hard start cold, misfiring at idle, and stumbling at times on acceleration.

In 2004 this was some corroded/loose spark plug suppressors found when I replaced the plugs & wires. Easy Peasy!

In 2017, my newly acquired 500SEC started having intermittent idle misfires and I found loose corroded plug suppressors. I changed out the plugs and for reason or other just swapped the plug wire ends one car to another. Both cars ran fine!

Until yesterday 2021, my 560 started the intermittent idling misfire and stumbled on acceleration at times

De ja vu all over again!

Yep I found some corroded and loosely attatched plug ends… again.

Today I learned to screw the connector onto the plug as I was pushing it home… sounds nuts yes, but in two cases, for whatever reason, the connector clicked down onto the plugs another quarter inch!

The car starts and once again starts & runs smoothly! Yay!

A simple fix.

It’s in the drive for it’s outside damp cold start tomorrow morning. I bet its

M
Eye Automotive tire Finger Wood Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

On both, that’s dielectric grease from the last time & I might have been more careful really.
Won’t happen again.

11841 - 11860 of 11945 Posts