Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11781 - 11800 of 11812 Posts

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
1,033 Posts
That.

I am experiencing is droning sound on the car since I've bought her. And from previous experience with my W123 I reckoned it was worth tightening the wheel bearings to see if I can compensate for the wear of 420 000km. The left wheel bearing was adjusted without a hitch, but the right wheel bearing is not worth bothering (not that I didn't adjust it anyways) because it has what can be best described as "a bump in the road" every revolution. This is symptomatic of a bearing that has experienced brinelling. It is also the sole source of the droning.

But one never replaces one wheel bearing; at the very least replace the bearings on both wheels of the same axle. I can replace the front bearings myself, but I may have to let MB do the rears for me.
Check out Gerry's writeup on the 500E forum, C126 section. He has a step-by-step pictorial, basically a more complicated version of the front bearings (removing more parts to get to them).

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
605 Posts
Typo. Should be TLAs, plural of TLA (Three Letter Acronym). Sorry...
God this reminds me of the line from the first Transformers movie, " Try to keep up with the acronyms!"

Just to keep on thread, I cleaned and did a bit of waxing on the 81 SD plus it has an appointment at the alignment shop on Wednesday, it's had a slight pull to the right since the last alignment and I really want it gone.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Touched in a little top coat scratch on the SEC.
Popped in the replacement rear view mirror. (Used a little copper grease on the spring loaded bit cos it's hard!)
Bumpers off now, to do the same as the SE although no rotten chrome to remove.
Catching it in time on this car I hope! The rust coating I'd previously used on the inside of the chromes, had peeled a bit but not too bad. Loads of Dynax wax on them now, and the exposed vulnerable areas of the car while the bumpers are off. Used a syringe to get the inside fronts of the wings.
Smeared a bit of Leatherique on the leather since its 26c here at the moment.

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
841 Posts
Rear Lorinser spoiler in with bumper and the badge, SEC chrome with corners, W140 glass roof capsule in with W140 seal took the whole sunroof apart degrease it, new slider jaws and grease, rear glass with new seal in, I called 4 glass companies they asked $400 to install the glass I decided to do it my self I was surprised how easy that job is, it took less than 30 minutes and the glass slides in for $10 only using 1/4 inch nylon rope from home depot for $6 and glycerin from walmart for $4, with a little help from a friend he applied pressure from outside while i pulled the rope from inside and boom its in, still have a lot of work to do.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood Tints and shades Motor vehicle
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Tire

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Rear Lorinser spoiler in with bumper and the badge, SEC chrome with corners, W140 glass roof capsule in with W140 seal took the whole sunroof apart degrease it, new slider jaws and grease, rear glass with new seal in, I called 4 glass companies they asked $400 to install the glass I decided to do it my self I was surprised how easy that job is, it took less than 30 minutes and the glass slides in for $10 only using 1/4 inch nylon rope from home depot for $6 and glycerin from walmart for $4, with a little help from a friend he applied pressure from outside while i pulled the rope from inside and boom its in, still have a lot of work to do.

View attachment 2712337 View attachment 2712338 View attachment 2712339 View attachment 2712340 View attachment 2712341 View attachment 2712342
Just gorgeous.

Tell us more about the rear glass fitting. I get the rubber bit, that's the normal old school way by the sounds of it. But how does the bright trim attach?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just gorgeous.

Tell us more about the rear glass fitting. I get the rubber bit, that's the normal old school way by the sounds of it. But how does the bright trim attach?
the chrome trim like a hook, you push it in inside the rubber slot, soapy water is the trick for pushing it in place, the rubber still available from the dealership for $80, and the sealing compound for $18, I put glycerine on the lip and on the body flang corner and pushed 1/4 inch nylon rope inside the rubber lip and add more glycerine on top of the rope, aligned the glass as mush as possible, the chrome should sit flushed with the roof to prevent wind noise, my helper started applying pressure from outside while me from inside pulling the rope, the trick is let your helper follow you when you pull, start from the center bottomn and make your way up, so easy I was so aftaid from doing it but take your time it will slide in so easily.

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
842 Posts
Rubber is supposed to be installed on the glass first, then the alu trim on the rubber and the whole assembly gets installed on the car.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Rubber is supposed to be installed on the glass first, then the alu trim on the rubber and the whole assembly gets installed on the car.
yes, there is no way to install it while glass in, install the rubber seal around the glass then chrome, then use mb glass compound around the body flang ,close the paint hole in the flang using mb sealing cord. put the nylon cord in the lip, tuck it in with lubricant and then install

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,662 Posts
Today I treated my car to a new radio.
Electronic instrument Font Musical instrument accessory Musical instrument Rectangle

Because the W126's wiring is too old for this radio, I've decided to find and modify a late W202 or W210 audio wiring harness, including the manual antenna button (which will fit nicely in the FAD button's space in the console). But I did connect the radio to my W202, which already has the ISO 10487 connections. I am impressed by the simplicity, the sound quality, and the fact that I still can install an amp for more sound should I choose to do so.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
They are so my cup of tea. Yum.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
815 Posts
gorgeous. but would Mother love them?:)

·
Registered
841 Posts
the wheels were painted 4 times, the paint was so thick that i stripped them using stripper and razor blade then I gave up and took them to a plating company, bought them from a guy who took those wheels off and put W140 wheels in his w126, he said he didnt like them as they are not original lol

They are so my cup of tea. Yum.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,057 Posts
After years of hiatus, I am back on the forum. It will take me a while to get caught up.

11781 - 11800 of 11812 Posts