Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11681 - 11700 of 11813 Posts

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,751 Posts
More great news. FedEx has lost TWO sets of bolts. Both through the same Maryland distribution center. Those two sets ordered by the shop here in my town.

This local shop ordered yet another set of bolts from a different supplier in a different part of the country to be sent by a different shipper and those bolts were misrouted and are now due tomorrow. We shall see.

Meanwhile, the bolts being sent to me (as in me personally) have been.... you guessed it... misrouted by USPS and delayed until next Monday Evening!

I shit you not. 💀

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,662 Posts
I collected my car from the propshaft shop today. When I asked them if the propshaft was straight, they looked at me quizzically, like I am asking a sarcastic question. So this weekend I’ll check the propshaft alignment myself.

That said, while I haven’t driven her at highway speeds yet, initial impressions are favourable.

Reactions: ianrandom

·
Registered
• ‘83 W126 300SD • ‘00 W220 S500
3 Posts

Dropped mine off at our shop, so I can reseal the rear windshield and prep the interior for new insulation and sound deadening for the winter. The old diesel has been my daily, but it’s no fun when you’re commuting in your gutted out project car. I finally finished installing the upper oil pan on my ‘00 W220 S500 and this will be the new daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts

Dropped mine off at our shop, so I can reseal the rear windshield and prep the interior for new insulation and sound deadening for the winter. The old diesel has been my daily, but it’s no fun when you’re commuting in your gutted out project car. I finally finished installing the upper oil pan on my ‘00 W220 S500 and this will be the new daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum! Would be great if you could fill out your profile when you get time.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,662 Posts
So, I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that I can immediately detect an improvement in the ride of the car with the repaired propshaft.

The bad news is that the propshaft wasn't the problem; the vibrations persist.

I checked the propshaft for straightness this weekend, and it is all good. However, I also noticed that the front giubo was installed the wrong way around - apparently they don't know that "Diese zeite zum lenkelwelle" means "this side towards propshaft". They offer a 3-month warrantee, so I'll be going back to have them fix that tiny little oversight.

·
Registered
1984 380SE 184k miles Lapis Blue / Palomino MB Tex
80 Posts
greetings earthlings,
I had the "key turns in door handle lock with no resistance" syndrome this past week. Took door panel off, removed exterior driver's door handle off, to find the roll pin missing, thus allowing the spring to not catch, and give "stop" in the middle of the key's left to right travel.
Here is a picture from a 17 Oct 2007 BenzWorld post, Door Lock Repair, with an added arrow pointing to the roll pin hole...
Thanks,
RV
Hand tool Tool Bumper Grey Motor vehicle

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,681 Posts
The other day I drove my 500SEC here to the house and opened up the hood to the vertical position, just to poke around some I guess.

I was some distance from it and I noticed a bright gold colored reflection near the right hood hinge. Definitely unusual!

Walking overI could see the negative Battery cable connection had almost completely come off my quick disconnect device mounted to the battery terminal post. I just brushed it with my finger and off it came with a little electrical snap sound…

I don’t believeit would have stayed connected another couple miles on these bumpy country roads here.

If it had disconnected while driving……. I shudder to think about the consequences: alternator and probably all those control units etc.

I removed the battery disconnect till another day after I rough up it’s post a bit. The cable end bolt was still tightened

I’m a lucky man

MBL

Auto part Cable Power tool Wire Machine

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
@MBL87560SEC Oh you've got one of those. Too tight under my bonnet for one of those. On my Citroen I changed this quick disconnect out as it can get a bit of a bad contact after a while. I got a proper nice clunky switch and have it inside the car under the dashboard shelf. Such luxury!
But avoids the problem of trying to lift the bonnet when it's been snowing!
I just wish I could fit the same on my MB. Bit more complicated, but not impossible I guess.

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,681 Posts
@MBL87560SEC Oh you've got one of those. Too tight under my bonnet for one of those. On my Citroen I changed this quick disconnect out as it can get a bit of a bad contact after a while. I got a proper nice clunky switch and have it inside the car under the dashboard shelf. Such luxury!
But avoids the problem of trying to lift the bonnet when it's been snowing!
I just wish I could fit the same on my MB. Bit more complicated, but not impossible I guess.
Hey Ian,

You aren’t kidding it’s a tight spot!!
Far as I can see, this one works only on the negative battery post due to space constraints.
No way on the positive side at all.

I installed it during the great Mousecapades in the fuse box last summer as I wanted a ‘parachute’ in case of an unexpected short circuit in there. I used dielectric grease on the post, contacts, and connectors as a hedge against future corrosion.

I used a short 13mm box end wrench to install and obviously not enough torque could be applied.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Hey Ian,

You aren’t kidding it’s a tight spot!!
Far as I can see, this one works only on the negative battery post due to space constraints.
No way on the positive side at all.

I installed it during the great Mousecapades in the fuse box last summer as I wanted a ‘parachute’ in case of an unexpected short circuit in there. I used dielectric grease on the post, contacts, and connectors as a hedge against future corrosion.

I used a short 13mm box end wrench to install and obviously not enough torque could be applied.
Good thinking.

I'm still rodent paranoid after your mouse horror experience.

·
Registered
85 500SEL
200 Posts
Some of the rubber fuel injection parts are here and the rest arriving today or tomorrow. Although I had replaced them a couple of years ago, the parts that came in from Mercedes were a lot softer than the ones I got from online suppliers. I mean a lot softer. The ones originally were hard as rocks and the ones I had gotten a couple of years ago were softer they were no where near as soft as the ones from Mercedes. The prices at Mercedes wasn’t bad either, very comparable to online prices at surplus sellers. I guess the ones I had gotten a couple of years ago were old stock. I did notice a few cracks in the right and left idle air distribution manifolds and the tube between the PCV fixture and right and left idle air manifolds had oil on the bottom like it was leaking from the Y-joint. You can see on the manifold where the oil was accumulating. I found a rather large crack in the bottom of the rubber mixt housing but it didn’t appear to be al the way through. I have a little cleaning to do in the injector holes and I’m trying to think if I need to use some kind sealer on the rubber parts to ensure they don’t leak.

The oil I was speaking about I’m pretty sure is from the PCV system most probably oil leaking past the valve guide seals. I have a set of new seals that I might try a little later, but that might turn into a valve job.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,751 Posts
So, I have good news and I have bad news.

The good news is that I can immediately detect an improvement in the ride of the car with the repaired propshaft.

The bad news is that the propshaft wasn't the problem; the vibrations persist.

I checked the propshaft for straightness this weekend, and it is all good. However, I also noticed that the front giubo was installed the wrong way around - apparently they don't know that "Diese zeite zum lenkelwelle" means "this side towards propshaft". They offer a 3-month warrantee, so I'll be going back to have them fix that tiny little oversight.
All I can say is, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
1984 500SEC Widebody
19 Posts
Wow! Need more pics of that baby.
some pics in my intro

Reactions: luckymike

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Service, followed by exterior wash. Interior cleaning will happen tomorrow, because the Communist government decreed that work is overrated (but don't think taxes are unnecessary...)

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,662 Posts
Urgent family mission meant using one of these just as it was designed for, looping at speed to a different part of the country, and back again in a day.
I took the SE just because it was its turn, but also its so creamy smooth and cushy comfortable.

What an absolute triumph of a car, blatting through the pelting rain at 110 for 3 hours and getting out fresh as a daisy. Night drive back, not too much traffic and what a tactile car experience of joy it was to use the cars potential properly. And home in time for to be able to chill before work in the nothing. Just so goddam smooth!

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,165 Posts
Finishing up a wonderful SEC for a fellow BenzWorld member. Going to install the performance rear sway bar tomorrow. Since I had it up in the air here are a few pics. Besides the obvious refurbishing we installed an updated sound system with the latest Blaupunkt receiver along with one of our custom Alcantara suede headliners. A fun and epic build for a BW member/enthusiast and my shop. More to come. For those interested we have 3 more late model SEC's that are well sorted and I can make it the way you want it. Mike

11681 - 11700 of 11813 Posts