Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11661 - 11680 of 11803 Posts

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
815 Posts
I've read t bear shit is good luck, if you dance on it barefoot and get it all squishy between your toes.
that might depend on where the bear is at the time you are dancing.

If they would look like your wheels SNR, the trip might be worth it. How long can it take to get to Houston.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,751 Posts
@slownrusty trust me, you wouldn't everything that has happened. I have not listed much of it because I already have too many people here who don't like me. Why feed the fire? ;)

The bear shitting in my yard thing is real. He was caught on security cams here two nights in a row and he took a big fat dump in my back yard. It's actually damn funny that it was caught on cam. The bear was also spooked by a neighborhood cat. So he's a big fat shy bear that sh*ts in the yard.

@Stewpot A loooong time and thousands of more miles.

·
Registered
1984 380SE 184k miles Lapis Blue / Palomino MB Tex
80 Posts
@slownrusty trust me, you wouldn't everything that has happened. I have not listed much of it because I already have too many people here who don't like me. Why feed the fire? ;)

The bear shitting in my yard thing is real. He was caught on security cams here two nights in a row and he took a big fat dump in my back yard. It's actually damn funny that it was caught on cam. The bear was also spooked by a neighborhood cat. So he's a big fat shy bear that sh*ts in the yard.

@Stewpot A loooong time and thousands of more miles.
does not sh*t in the woods....

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,669 Posts
Back to Benz….

Re: the aforementioned broken alternator belt, I bought a ‘ball end’ Allen set from Harbor Freight and cut the 10mm to size. All this to free the AC belt don’t you know.

Anyways, it did finally come off, all went back together…. and the alternator is now charging properly and the R12 A/C charged in 2019 is blowing 53.6F out the face vents.

I am happy

Tomorrow, I’ll take a good friend to lunch out in central MA at a place I know. 88F, Sunny, two lane country roads.

What’s not to like I ask??

I just took this out front a couple of mins ago..

M
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,254 Posts
Back to Benz….

Re: the aforementioned broken alternator belt, I bought a ‘ball end’ Allen set from Harbor Freight and cut the 10mm to size. All this to free the AC belt don’t you know.

Anyways, it did finally come off, all went back together…. and the alternator is now charging properly and the R12 A/C charged in 2019 is blowing 53.6F out the face vents.

I am happy

Tomorrow, I’ll take a good friend to lunch out in central MA at a place I know. 88F, Sunny, two lane country roads.

What’s not to like I ask??

I just took this out front a couple of mins ago..

M
View attachment 2704092
I have been trying to figure out this whole 10mm A/C thing. Why are you taking off the A/C pulley to change the alternator belt?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,656 Posts
I changed my glovebox door again on the SE.
I only changed it before because the one on it then had its side guides that kept catching it in the open position.
But the one I put on wasn't a great match. I'm sure nobody else would notice, but I've absolutely hated it and it catches my eyes so badly when I'm in the car.
So I put the catchy one on again but smoothed off the end of the side guide that had an on way of getting caught on the switch for the glovebox light, on the backside frame of the dashboard. Bit of smoothing and all worked fine.
Swapped the wood, and the lock of course so my key would still work. The most fiddly bloody spring in the world! So annoying.

Looks better though, I cleaned the dash after with Pretsine Clean from Leatherique, followed by Aerospace 303.

We do it for love?

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
815 Posts
About a year ago I had a chance to buy a gorgeous steering wheel with burlwood inserts, but realized that while it would look lovely and no one but me would notice the difference, I would do so every time I looked at it next to my zembrano wood. Don't know if its love or being persnickety.

Reactions: ProgMuscle

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,656 Posts
About a year ago I had a chance to buy a gorgeous steering wheel with burlwood inserts, but realized that while it would look lovely and no one but me would notice the difference, I would do so every time I looked at it next to my zembrano wood. Don't know if its love or being persnickety.
Let's have a look Stew?

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
815 Posts
I can't remember anymore who had it up for sale. So, I'm sticking with basic black.

Reactions: ianrandom

·
5,669 Posts
I have been trying to figure out this whole 10mm A/C thing. Why are you taking off the A/C pulley to change the alternator belt?
That’s easier to answer than to do.

On my 560, the alternator drive belt is inside of / behind the A/C belt. Part of the ‘Inconvience Package’ to be sure!

I was thinking of you and your Nevada/Utah belt trials as I was doing it in the shade of being inside the warehouse. Yours was far more trying I am sure.

M

·
5,669 Posts
Yesterday, it was a glorious 88F sunny day so I took my 560 out for the road test/lunch drive, roughly 110 miles in all.

It was mostly rural, hilly, curves, dappled sunlight, and a very good lunch. Engine temp ran between 85C & about 100C depending on terrain at speeds between 40 & 55 mph.

The temp control set at 20-ish, the AC fan went down to very low speed within 5 or so miles and stayed that way for the next 40+ miles to the lunch stop, then again all the way back. Very comfortable I must say.

Needless to say, in the words of Wallace & Gromit: “A Grand Day Out” wouldn’t you say?

M

Oh also I want to add how pleased I was to discover the driver’s door card remained cool throughout on such a warm day. That cooling/heated air ducted into the doors is a great subtle value, isn’t it though?
Mine’s a summertimes driver but I can just imagine how nice that feature is in cold weather conditions.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,254 Posts
That’s easier to answer than to do.

On my 560, the alternator drive belt is inside of / behind the A/C belt. Part of the ‘Inconvience Package’ to be sure!

I was thinking of you and your Nevada/Utah belt trials as I was doing it in the shade of being inside the warehouse. Yours was far more trying I am sure.

M
M, my alt belt is behind the ac belt, too. Are you removing the ac pulley? I just rotate the ac pulley bracket out of the way for clearance.

·
5,669 Posts
I had a bad time with it as the previous ppl in there had chewed up the Allen hex and I wanted to change the retaining bolt as I’d gotten one a few years ago and my instructions were not followed, leaving a scarred fastener there. Nows the time I thought.

Sorry, if I was unclear Mike.

As an aside, every fastener tightened by this tech was as if a 400 Lb Gorilla had his meaty mitt in it. It took a two foot pipe over a long 10mm combination wrench to loosen that fastener! I’m surprised my cut down 10mm ball end Allen wrench didn’t snap off in the process.
Trigger Revolver Automotive exterior Metal Gun accessory

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,254 Posts
Okay, okay. You don't HAVE to remove the ac tensioner pulley to replace your alt belt. You were just replacing the damaged pulley retaining fastener while you were in there. Got it.

And yes, some mechanics do the super tight thing. I don't get it. Don't they think about their own future and that THEY might be the ones to work on their own work?? Sheesh. There is an elegance to a properly torqued fastener.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,751 Posts
My wheels bolts saga continues. FedEx LOST my bolts. They just disappeared. Poof.

So another set was ordered yesterday afternoon for morning delivery today. Overnight, morning delivery.

The box did not show up. Uh oh. So FedEx was called. They can't find them.

I am not making this up. My car has been on jack stands since last Friday. The parts guy at the shop is ready for a nervous breakdown since the manager was yelling at him to finish my car and get it out of there.

ANOTHER set of bolts has been ordered from a different supplier, but, alas... will they ever show up?

Earlier today I confirmed an order for a set of bolts that will be sent to me via Priority Mail. They are coming from a normal person (someone I know) who will personally mail the package today (they cannot possibly make the FedEx cutoff). So a set is going to get to me, but likely not until Friday afternoon (my mail is always delivered after 5pm) and that means unless the local shop somehow gets a set of bolts by Friday morning my car is on jack stands until next week.

In case anyone asks, not a single Benz dealer here in NC has these bolts. Benz in Cary said they had them, but when I asked them to go and verify that they were actually in stock they discovered they did not have them at all! Imagine if I had driven 2.5 hours (5 hours+ round trip) for nothing.

How many times can a bear shit on my life? Or on my car?

I know at this point some here will no longer believe this stuff, but it's all true.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,254 Posts
Hahahahaha....transition to weeping then to uncontrolled bawling. You can't make this stuff up.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
815 Posts
the only thing that can explain this, he's around here somewhere.

but, eventually conquered.

11661 - 11680 of 11803 Posts