Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11641 - 11660 of 11681 Posts

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,630 Posts
I ordered new front shocks, and they were collected yesterday. Bilsteins and Sachs are in short supply, so I settled on Gabriels - Donkey ran with Gabriels and never gave me trouble. When I opened the box, I noticed that Gabriel only supplies one nyloc nut. The EPC distinctly shows two nuts per shock, as does the FSM. Fortunately, these are M10 fine thread, so I can use old propshaft nuts.

I’ll install the front shocks with brand new covers and buffers on Saturday, if all goes according to plan.

Reactions: luckymike

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
790 Posts
I was checking and adjusting modulator pressure on my car at a garage with door open. When I got it done a BMW coupe drove to the garage door and out stepped a guy asking if I know a good mechanic who could adjust KE -jetronic. I told I did mine myself he asked if I would take a look at his as he has a newly rebuilt engine with a newly rebuilt AFM housing and FD. So I parked my car and jumped into his. So he had a 560 SEC project car couple of blocks away at the industrial area where I DIY mine. Duty cycle was showing lambda screw was too much in so I backed it out until voltage there was fluctuating around 7 V and adjusted AFM potentiometer to 0.85 V at idle. He told when he puts it on D or R it stalls. And so it did. When disconnecting the idle control valve cable it would idle 1200 or so and with the cable connected voltage at the connector was around 4 V when it was idling and resistance was around 4 Ohm so that was ok to me. I told him to put it on drive and disconnected the ICV cable as he did that. It almost stalled but soon I was able to connect the cable without stalling the engine. After that it seemed to be ok. Told them that plugs should be gapped to 1 mm and resistorless plugs should be used as it still had some random misfires. There still is vacuum leaks as I did not see where economy gauge is and they told there is something disconnected under the dash. Also asked what kind of oil is he using. Just to clean the engine after rebuild he had some 5W-30 299.51 oil in it. Told him to use 40 299.1 or 10W-40 299.3. As he was driving me back to mine he asked what he owes and I said 20 € would be fair. Gave them my number as he told he has a good guy welding his panels from a well known body shop on his own time. I have some panel work left and would like to know how well his get done and if it looks like I could be pleased with the quality what it would cost to do mine. Long story.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,817 Posts
A year after removing the water pump from my SEC - I have spent the week installing the new one along with replacing the front crankshaft seal. The radiator comparison is a fair representation of the state of the cooling system :oops:
A727CA2A-8A28-4432-9E24-DF5823BF3455.jpeg
5C3C61AE-703F-45E9-A2BB-A6BF07EB0FD5.jpeg
8210273C-F56C-4ED5-AD3E-165A9A86514E.jpeg
A58D2C07-0212-4B99-80C2-2BC2458A4E3A.jpeg

I still have to finish the front suspension before being able to drive it and enjoy once again.

·
Registered
85 500SEL
192 Posts
Sat for days thinking about the enrichment circuit, just why couldn’t I get it even close to right. The best I was able to do was get it to between 59 to 58% and the car smelled like gas at the exhaust. So out comes the brake clean and started to spray the injectors, and pretty much every think on the top of the motor. The results confused me because I had just replaced the injectors and all the idle air components and seals, but mostly everything leaked. 5 out of 8 injectors, just about anywhere around the mixture control housing. I thought it might have been the mixture housing but wasn’t ready for the whole thing to leak.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,195 Posts
Sat for days thinking about the enrichment circuit, just why couldn’t I get it even close to right. The best I was able to do was get it to between 59 to 58% and the car smelled like gas at the exhaust. So out comes the brake clean and started to spray the injectors, and pretty much every think on the top of the motor. The results confused me because I had just replaced the injectors and all the idle air components and seals, but mostly everything leaked. 5 out of 8 injectors, just about anywhere around the mixture control housing. I thought it might have been the mixture housing but wasn’t ready for the whole thing to leak.
Bummer. So what is the plan?

·
1991 500SEC Euro, 1987 560SEC Federal
5,547 Posts
Cleaned up my 560SEC, had the annual state motor vehicle inspection done and headed out for a glorious summer day cruise windows down and AC blowing cool.
It was a perfect summer day here, sunny, dry, and 75-ish.

What a car!
Its just amazing how this car can bring me right back to my 'happy place'..... I had forgotten, not having driven it for a couple months really.

Settling in for a couple of hours of two lane bliss, I had just rounded a curve and noticed the was ABS light on.. Hmmm.
The Battery light was on as well so..... I reluctantly turned for home and the shady part of the front drive.

It turns out the alternator belt, shredded & broken was dangling from a transmission cooling line.....

The local parts house supplied me a US substitute, albeit a little too long though...
I did not have the proper 10mm tool for the Allen bolt on the A/C idler......
The 3/8 drive Allen would foul the various pulleys.. so another day..

Its now resting back in the warehouse on the battery tender..

I'll revisit the car probably tomorrow with proper tools in hand, knowing what I'll need.

M

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
746 Posts
exact same thing happened to me. good to know the battery has enough juice to get home. still a nice drive.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,172 Posts
exact same thing happened to me. good to know the battery has enough juice to get home. still a nice drive.
They seem to have get you home ability in this area. Same happened to me once.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,630 Posts
I installed the front shocks yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. Today I attempted to adjust the bonnet latches again. Everything was going so well, up to with the grille having half of its screws fastened. Yet, somehow, once the grille had been fully secured with all its screws, the latches were miraculously stiff again...

I pulled the car onto the ramps to see what propshaft she has, so that I wouldn't have to take both the propshafts I had bought to the propshaft centre (if I had known about the pending political unrest, I'd have pulled her onto the ramps before even bothering buying both prop shafts...). But I could not replicate the looseness they showed me before - the transmission radial play is hardly detectable, and the slack in the propshaft doesn't seem much different to Smokey's. I am starting to doubt whether my car's vibrations are even propshaft related at all. But I have been wrong before.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
17,172 Posts
Pulled the leather off my spare rear bench seat. The upright section. Was super easy.
I'm saving the leather for future repairs.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,702 Posts
Looks like replaced. And it looks sweet.

I hope to eventually pull all the wood from mine for a restoration. I'd pull the dash, have the wood sent out, have a new audio system put in, etc. etc so that my dash is only pulled once.

Right now my SEC sits at a local shop, without the stock 15 inch wheels that just arrived, because I was sent the wrong bolts. Long story. Hopefully turning a page tomorrow morning.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,195 Posts
Looks like replaced. And it looks sweet.

I hope to eventually pull all the wood from mine for a restoration. I'd pull the dash, have the wood sent out, have a new audio system put in, etc. etc so that my dash is only pulled once.

Right now my SEC sits at a local shop, without the stock 15 inch wheels that just arrived, because I was sent the wrong bolts. Long story. Hopefully turning a page tomorrow morning.
Oh my gosh. You could write a book on this saga. I can't believe it every time something else happens.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,702 Posts
Oh my gosh. You could write a book on this saga. I can't believe it every time something else happens.
Some people like to blame me, which gets frustrating. There are things out of my control and shit just keeps happening.

But it does appear as though Loki (or Satan himself) has put a curse on forward progress. So many ridiculous things have happened that I have seriously thought about giving up and selling. It's demoralizing because the damn car is as sorted as can be, but I cannot get the bloody wheels situated.

Receiving warped AMG Pentas was the biggest kick in the nuts. They were supposed to be restored and perfect. 100% straight. And yet... It was a giant horror and I don't blame the guy who sent them to me because he had sent them out to be restored and they were sent back to him, "restored and absolutely perfect in every way." Except it turns out that they were not. :(

Now he has to go and check all of the wheels he recently received from that shop. It's quite loony. The gentleman sold those Pentas to me because he had been following my wheels/vibration saga and wanted to offer a solution to the troubles.

Anyways... A bear took a shit in my back yard last week. That was funny. 💩 :LOL:

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,195 Posts
Is there a Benzworld award for best attitude?

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
2,237 Posts
Yes I replaced the wood, thing is, it looks so sexy, it makes the other pieces look old and wrinkly.

@1783pictures - You should have just brought your car to Houston and in a weekend I could have built some custom wheels for your and we could look over your punch list. Do you trust the devil you know or don't know?

I've read that bear shit is good luck, if you dance on it barefoot and get it all squishy between your toes.

11641 - 11660 of 11681 Posts