Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
11621 - 11640 of 11681 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
820 Posts
Can't wait to see everything in one color (smoked silver), I am painting everything body color, headlights wipers, side molding, grill, mirrors, bumpers. body kit (2 bumpers + side skirt + wheels) from euro Lorinser parts car that I bought just for the parts. the front lip was cracked in 3 different sections, the rear bumpers was hit from the left and right side that you can see through them.

Man oh man... Gonna be sweet.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
5,195 Posts
Gorgeous. Seeing the body in primer lets you appreciate all the shapes and lines. Love it.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL
119 Posts
Gorgeous. Seeing the body in primer lets you appreciate all the shapes and lines. Love it.
Nice bumping into you over the weekend Mike. I spotted your SEC on our way out and it looked fantastic!

To stay on topic I purchased a flag from Amazon to show my car at Radwood this past Saturday.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,195 Posts
Nice bumping into you over the weekend Mike. I spotted your SEC on our way out and it looked fantastic!

To stay on topic I purchased a flag from Amazon to show my car at Radwood this past Saturday.
Yes, it was great to run into a fellow BW member. Glad you saw my car and thanks for the compliment!

And thanks for posting a pic of your car. I'm still remembering how great it looked sitting there at Radwood. Ride height is perfect and the chrome wheels really fit the black. Cool flag!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Everyone!

Well, I had my girl in the shop.

Had the rearview mirror replaced. I couldn't get the old one off. The service provider found a crack under the old one (not on the mirror, but on the car itself) and that may have been the reason it was so difficult to remove the spreading of the car itself, but the new mirror is in place.

The passenger head light has a broken wire which is causing the headlight to go on and off, so it needs to be replaced.

A/C problem is being caused by five hose connections that need to be replaced.

Wipers will be replaced. I COULD NOT GET THEM OFF MYSELF.

The ashtray lightbulb was burned out and the lighter will be checked in the back driver's side.

Someone put the jack under the spare tire and it was pushed upward, so that will be taken care of as well.

Will have the some of the suspension repaired and some of the front done as well and some hoses will be replaced due to old cracked leaking hoses.

The under hood pad will be replaced since it's shedding. It's all in one piece and no holes, but may as well since it's in the shop :-(.

Rotors and pads look great, tires look great, will have fluids flushed and replaced.

Mechanic was thrilled to see her and said she was in very great condition for her age. I haven't done much to her and she needed care and now is the time.

She's helped me and her sister jumped her this past February when we had minus degree weather. Antifreeze was FROZEN AND FROZEN OVER THE TOP OF EVERYTHING! AND IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD FOR MINUS 32! WT?

So, that's what I did with my girl today. I went to the shop to discuss what needed to be done and I agreed to everything and paid half. She still needed her odometer to be hooked up and her Becker radio to work. Those were not added. And her old Motorola gigantic brick "cell" phone, which may still work. Just the outside black covering is coming undone. But, the phone is minor as is the radio to me. But, the odometer is needed to work. The radio antennae still goes up and down. It's some connection which I had repaired at the Benz dealer once and it lasted a short while and it stopped working again. I think the cassette player still works, it's the radio connection.

The mechanic said he may have a working Becker radio that he could throw in for free. He's a retired Benz mechanic. I got REALLY LUCKY HERE.

I GUESS THERE IS A GOD AFTER ALL. I looked and looked and looked and looked and looked for years and years and years and got burned at almost every corner. Hence the long delay with repairs, plus no luck with the Benz dealer.

SmoothRider

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
746 Posts
welcome back. I like your atitude. All of this sounds manageable. Not surprising about the dealer...all the young mechanics know how to do is read the computers. Let us know how it goes and photos always welcome

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
521 Posts
@SF W126 - What kind of flag did you buy and from where.

I too have a flagpole on my W126. Same position as yours. And flag height is same as yours. But flapping in the wind and hitting the fenders constantly destroys the flag. I do nto want to raise the height so it clears the fender. That is too tall in my opinion.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL
119 Posts
Yes, it was great to run into a fellow BW member. Glad you saw my car and thanks for the compliment!

And thanks for posting a pic of your car. I'm still remembering how great it looked sitting there at Radwood. Ride height is perfect and the chrome wheels really fit the black. Cool flag!
Your car was hard to miss! I think it was nearly the last car in the lot as we left.

Hopefully we can gather another meet going before I put the car back into storage :)

@SF W126 - What kind of flag did you buy and from where.

I too have a flagpole on my W126. Same position as yours. And flag height is same as yours. But flapping in the wind and hitting the fenders constantly destroys the flag. I do nto want to raise the height so it clears the fender. That is too tall in my opinion.
All the reviews from Amazon were pretty terrible including this one. The flapping and vibration is so strong you can hear and feel it in the cabin. I don't drive with it on unless it's within the city.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,702 Posts
Soooo much going on, but suffice to say...

1. 500 SEC's A.C. system was rebuilt (compressor, dryer, keeping r12) so now I can drive when it's hot as hell and not melt. That being said, black on black = I don't want to drive once outside temps hit 90+. It's too humid here.

2. Mint "perfect" Gen I AMG Penta wheels arrived. Supposed to be perfect. One is warped (unfixable). One is slightly warped. :cry: My nightmare continues. I just can't get a set of 16 inch wheels that are not F'd up, so...

3. Ordered a set of restored, beautiful (but boring) 15 inch stock w126 wheels, which should arrive the 23rd. I also ordered a set of Michelins. Yes, I am giving up on 16's since I'm just cursed with them (too bad I have near new tires at this size - shit :( ).

Hopefully a set of stupid, boring, snoozing stock 15's will make my life vibration free and I can just move on to the fun stuff like a new sound system, paint correction and a custom exhaust.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
746 Posts
1. Woo hoo, hope mine comes out as good.
2. bummer. I would say somebody has put a spell on your wheels and until you find a stronger spell-doer....
3. hey, I have15 inch stock "15 holer" wheels which are pretty elegant. you might find a smooth ride more than makes up for it.
4. and on to the next projects....isn't a 126 fun.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
943 Posts
Looking good, were they able to mask off the body-color b-pillar section on the doors? And, did any of the side window or front windshield trim come out?

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,702 Posts
1. Woo hoo, hope mine comes out as good.
2. bummer. I would say somebody has put a spell on your wheels and until you find a stronger spell-doer....
3. hey, I have15 inch stock "15 holer" wheels which are pretty elegant. you might find a smooth ride more than makes up for it.
4. and on to the next projects....isn't a 126 fun.
1. Stu, get that ac finished!! It's Summer, for Pete's sake ;)
2. 100%. It's insane.
3. If the ride is as good as what I had in Florida on those borrowed wheels I will be happy. And that set of wheels had ten year old tires so I should only find superior results.
4. I love a nice V8 280 SE. Pierre's 1972 is fantastic, with ice cold r12 air con. Hoovie bought one a few months ago that is low miles with a stunning interior. Maybe I should make him an offer??? :unsure: :LOL:

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
820 Posts
Yes I took everything apart. all the chrome pieces are outside the car

Looking good, were they able to mask off the body-color b-pillar section on the doors? And, did any of the side window or front windshield trim come out?

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,630 Posts
Hopefully a set of stupid, boring, snoozing stock 15's will make my life vibration free and I can just move on to the fun stuff like a new sound system, paint correction and a custom exhaust.
That’s what I thought. Guess what?

I mean, good luck, I’m sure it will be perfect.

So, there is this terrible clunking noise coming from the front right. And today it got a whole worse. When I got home, I proceeded to investigate, and I found this:

It gets better!

So, after a year and not even 3000km, I have to replace both front shocks because the threads on this one is worn, the nut is missing along with the bumper and retainer, and the other shock is held by a single nut without a locking nut as per design, and its threads are also hardly pristine.

What do I pay people for?

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor
'17 GLS450, '14 GLK250 "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car, 350SDL (Sold)
4,023 Posts
Well, the other day I delivered mine to a fellow in Maine who has always wanted a Diesel. He has pledged to do the body work I was dragging my feet on, and take good care of it. When I dropped it off, he met me in a really nice looking 560SEL, so I suspect it will be well cared for. Meanwhile, I am also getting rid of my Volvo XC90 as it needs exhaust work costing more than the book value of the car. To replace them, I just picked up a really nice but option challenged GLK250 with the BlueTEC engine and am loving seeing the trip computer report mileage in the mid to high 30's (mpg). Just passed a station here today listing Diesel fuel for 5¢ less than regular unleaded.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,195 Posts
That’s what I thought. Guess what?

I mean, good luck, I’m sure it will be perfect.

So, there is this terrible clunking noise coming from the front right. And today it got a whole worse. When I got home, I proceeded to investigate, and I found this:

It gets better!

View attachment 2702370

So, after a year and not even 3000km, I have to replace both front shocks because the threads on this one is worn, the nut is missing along with the bumper and retainer, and the other shock is held by a single nut without a locking nut as per design, and its threads are also hardly pristine.

What do I pay people for?
What?! How did that happen?

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,630 Posts
It appears they didn’t install the second locking nut on either shock. Maybe the car didn’t have locking nuts, but these “experts” should have lnown they require locking nuts. It also seems they tried to force the wrong size nut on the left shock. These shocks have strange threads - neither a standard nor a fine thread M10 works. I tried the nuts from Donkey’s shock, but that doesn’t fit either.

·
Outstanding Contributor
5,195 Posts
It appears they didn’t install the second locking nut on either shock. Maybe the car didn’t have locking nuts, but these “experts” should have lnown they require locking nuts. It also seems they tried to force the wrong size nut on the left shock. These shocks have strange threads - neither a standard nor a fine thread M10 works. I tried the nuts from Donkey’s shock, but that doesn’t fit either.
What a joke. It doesn't get much more basic than shocks.

11621 - 11640 of 11681 Posts