Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

11341 - 11354 of 11354 Posts

·
Registered
1984 500SEL 1984 380SE
253 Posts
If that photo is supposed to show the cam off one tooth, it doesn't. It looks like exactly half a tooth. Are you sure all the guides are in good shape? Was the tensioner engaged? Have you cranked the engine over at least two revolutions?
Uh oh. Ya, the 4 upper guides are all new within the last few months, as is the tensioner. Yes, the tensioner was fully installed. Yes, I cranked the engine two full revolutions, and just did another two full revolutions to be sure. No change. I will stick the camera down the chain path tomorrow and check the upper guides again. Is there an easy way to inspect the lower guides? Can I see them from the bottom of the engine if I drop the oil pan?

·
Registered
1984 500SEL 1984 380SE
253 Posts
Got the timing chain project finished up and a 10 mile test drive under my belt. I had to remove the left side cam sprocket and back it off one tooth to get the timing correct. Once I did that, I cranked the engine through 5 full revolutions and hit all 4 timing marks perfectly. Put everything back together, crossed my fingers, turned the key and she fired right up! Idle is so smooth, acceleration is good the new suspension rides like a dream, didn't hear any tire rub at all with the new lowering springs. I did notice a hesitation shifting into 4th at freeway speeds, so gotta troubleshoot that next, but for the around town cruising I normally do, I am extremely pleased and so happy to be able to drive her again!

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,087 Posts
Round 1 of my SEC front grille restoration complete. I have three grilles and started with the one that came in my SEC This JBwelding and gluing thing is not at all easy, especially with my hand issues. Being patient and not rushing has been the key to not losing my mind. The painting of the slats/vents was easy by comparison.
You ARE using JB Qwik-Set yes ? If not, it saves on having to hold stuff together for an hour or more, it does have a few minutes of work time but don't push it for long

·
Registered
1984 500SEL 1984 380SE
253 Posts
Finished up a few small projects on the 84 500SEL today. Replaced the rubber trunk seal, a few light bulbs, finally got around to rebuilding the heater mono valve with the URO kit. Happy to report I have a working heater again! Also finally fixed the drivers side rear window. Got the door card off and found exactly what I suspected: a broken plastic guide. It had been repaired at some point as it was held in place with a small bolt and nut. Got the new part installed properly and after some fiddling got the door put back together. The door switch for that window is acting a bit finicky, so I'll probably track down a replacement.
Replaced some bulbs and a faulty door light switch in the 84 380SE. It's almost time to get her in the garage and start getting her up to snuff, as they say.
I love these cars....

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,780 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEC, 129,00 miles, in good shape, starting to do some small mods-steering wheel, exhaust
977 Posts
Like the back wheels here, 1 vote.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,608 Posts
Saturday I drove the 500 SEC to Raleigh to see Return of the King in IMAX (a true IMAX theater with a giant screen), but two accidents added 1.5 hours of drive time, which meant I didn't make it. (n):poop:

So I grabbed some Vietnamese food, a coffee, window shopped at watches and finally drove home. Averaged 16 mpg. Thank the maker the seats in the SEC's are so damned comfortable. They really and truly are wonderful.

Today I gave her a lower body and wheels bath. Later this week I will tackle some cosmetic issues and a few odds and ends.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC
29 Posts
I squished up a couple of H&R's and installed them along with 4 nib rubber, UCA's, brake rod bushing and Bilstein cruisers on the front of the SEC. Will install re-plated engine fuel/throttle components when cleared, go for a spin and get on the backside. LCA bushings are good to go and on stand by for resolution to sway bar mounts.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,667 Posts
Odds and ends lately but how many times have you emptied a box like this to find that one screw you now need? Story of my life lately

Spring is coming as well so have to get all these issues done. Tomorrow the other front spring and hopefully the final adjustments on the fuel distributor

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
597 Posts
Spring is here. Too nice to do the garden. Rather, I finally replaced the hood insulation pad which has been on my pandemic to-do list for about a year now. More cleaning than I expected, juggling the pad without the help of "she who must be obeyed" (she looks at maintenance with suspicion and I will not argue) was a bit dodgy but it all worked out nicely. No description because the community search is full of hood pad how-to's.

But, the old one lasted 200K miles and showed it. Probably too long. Changed the first one at 100K miles when I got the car. My indie shop in DC showed me great character when I said I needed it changed and he said "do it yourself, no need to pay me for that." As I recall a new pad from the dealer was about $40. I don't think they even have them anymore.

Reactions: luckymike

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,667 Posts
Well it has been nice out so some garage time in the last couple of days. I have been struggling with the replacement of the fuel distributor and all the associated tests and adjustments and I am now where I think we should be. I also adjusted the new potentiomenter for the throttle. Just be aware I think if you mess with that tower screw it changes the poteniometer setting, as well as other things. So....

I also finished taking out the front springs and installing an extra piece of a spring isolator. I added a 1 nub top to my 4 nub isolators just to raise it up a little. I had some rubbing issues.
I tried out the new AC system and found the reman compressor needs a clutch adjustment (sheesh) I think that is easy though. So far I can't tell how much colder the new system is, but one of the things I was pleased about is that it still has pressure, which means I don't have leaks. I filled that about 6 weeks ago.

One of the ornery things I have to do is get those seat belt springs on. You know, the ones at the bottom of the strap where it meets the floor. Those springs are behind a plastic cover and I always get them wound wrong.

Hopefully in the next few weeks the weather will cooperate so I can take this thing out and check it out. I know I still have a few oil and tranny leaks to deal with but no other major things on the to do list. Have a good day all.

11341 - 11354 of 11354 Posts