Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

11101 - 11120 of 11156 Posts

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
476 Posts
Oh, my. You're complaining about replacing the mount and all of the two bushes? I have to disassemble my W123 for the umpteenth time because the replacement transmission is in worse condition than my broken unit - I haven't even lowered that car off the jack stands, and I have to repeat the entire process again.
Yeah it's getting close to winter and I'm feeling lazy although I still have to get back under and Rust Check it before the snow flies.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,485 Posts
Getting ready for parts for the compressor and since it was such a nice day I cleaned the garage and attic. I am sure most of us squirrel away parts somewhere like this. For me I made storage in the garage attic. Hopefully if all the parts come in this week the compressor will be back on and then its onto the expansion valve

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
501 Posts
Sbpsu354

After seeing your extremely good looking white car (three posts up) says he modestly, I thought I should wash mine. Not good enough. Next step is a clay wash. Cheers.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,024 Posts
This afternoon, I finally got around to mouse-proofing the trunk of my red SEC.

Thats where they entered the car last Winter and made the grand tour up the righthand side & into the fusebox where they raised he** with a goodly portion of the wiring in there.

I learned on a farm products site that 1/4"galvanized hardware cloth would stop mice.

Having already removed the gas tank & left & right side panels from the trunk I measured the openings and cut & trimmed out a couple of 13.5" X 4.5" pieces. I wiped the area around each opening & applied a generous bead of 3M gasket maker around the fitted plastic vents.

Having a roll of black waterproof duct tape, I applied the wire screens and secured 'em in place over the gasket material. The idea is that the material sets up/hardens with a good amount of the wire mesh glued to the body .. all around each opening under the tape.

There is no way the the little buggers can squeak by & gain access back there again.

The next one will be at the fresh air duct under the right side of the windscreen, under the black plastic water guide, like I did to my '87 SEC a few years ago. I know that to be another access 'highway'.

I'll put the trunk upholstery back in the next nice day here as I want lots of light to do the job.

Gettin' there..

MBL

Screen Shot 2020-10-11 at 3.58.51 PM.png IMG_6248.JPG

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
328 Posts
Wow these cars look great in white.

Howdy folks, been a while - I had to sideline the car while I got a bunch of stuff done to the house. Fortunately I had already done all possible bad failure work to her as well as the suspension.

I just finished the last thing the house needed before the deck people can get started (relaid a paver sidewalk), so, yay. New deck just in time for snow :/

Changed the oil in the old gal. It turns out I'm just over a year ownership already, my how time flies. "We' (it's our 'good' car, I drive an old S-10 to work) put about 4K miles on her.

Still haven't got the sunroof to align correctly since the cleaning/lube, though it is a little closer. I now have an exhaust leak too, just after the mid mufflers. The whole exhuast looks GREAT. I had to find the leak by feel. It's on top of one straight pipe just where it exits the midmuffs (leading to the rear muffler). By feel the shape is like a snowman, 3 stacked holes that get smaller, with the biggest about 1.5" or so butting right up to when it's welded to the curved piece that goes to the midmuff.

I would've tried patching it but it is right up against that weld.

So, I'll see about a muffler shop patching it. If they can't do I remove the mid mufflers and patch in straight pipes, or get the aftermarket factory style replacements? Any thoughts?

Also I still have a vibration from the front pass wheel at highway speeds, an out-of-balance feeling. Not terrible but there. I thought the new shocks might fix it. They DID help a lot but it's still there, so no road trips or I'll end up ruining the tires (from experience).

I have charged tires, brakes, rotors, bearings, tried different rims. I've been considering picking up a used hub and swapping it in to see.

Other than that. she runs great. Living the Sclassy life :)

Pete

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
206 Posts

Howdy folks, been a while - I had to sideline the car while I got a bunch of stuff done to the house. Fortunately I had already done all possible bad failure work to her as well as the suspension.

I just finished the last thing the house needed before the deck people can get started (relaid a paver sidewalk), so, yay. New deck just in time for snow :/

Changed the oil in the old gal. It turns out I'm just over a year ownership already, my how time flies. "We' (it's our 'good' car, I drive an old S-10 to work) put about 4K miles on her.

Still haven't got the sunroof to align correctly since the cleaning/lube, though it is a little closer. I now have an exhaust leak too, just after the mid mufflers. The whole exhuast looks GREAT. I had to find the leak by feel. It's on top of one straight pipe just where it exits the midmuffs (leading to the rear muffler). By feel the shape is like a snowman, 3 stacked holes that get smaller, with the biggest about 1.5" or so butting right up to when it's welded to the curved piece that goes to the midmuff.

So, I'll see about a muffler shop patching it. If they can't do I remove the mid mufflers and patch in straight pipes, or get the aftermarket factory style replacements? Any thoughts?

Also I still have a vibration from the front pass wheel at highway speeds, an out-of-balance feeling. Not terrible but there. I thought the new shocks might fix it. They DID help a lot but it's still there, so no road trips or I'll end up ruining the tires (from experience).

I have charged tires, brakes, rotors, bearings, tried different rims. I've been considering picking up a used hub and swapping it in to see.

Pete
They sound so much better with a small exhaust leak, though....
Good luck with that vibration. I had a similar issue, but it turned out to be a flat spot in the tire, so a new one took care of it, but as you've changed the tires, I would suspect a slightly bent rim. Maybe try a fresh spin balance on all 4 wheels?
Good luck!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,024 Posts

Still haven't got the sunroof to align correctly since the cleaning/lube, though it is a little closer.
I now have an exhaust leak too, just after the mid mufflers. The whole exhuast looks GREAT. I had to find the leak by feel. It's on top of one straight pipe just where it exits the midmuffs (leading to the rear muffler). By feel the shape is like a snowman, 3 stacked holes that get smaller, with the biggest about 1.5" or so butting right up to when it's welded to the curved piece that goes to the midmuff.

Pete

'midmuff'. I totally like it man! Beats kidney beans by some distance I feel!

As I understand, the 'mid-kidneys' are leaking, yes?

If so, BONSAL & ANSA make a nice aftermarket alternative I think. This is what I used during the great exhaust revival on my 500SEC.
I wanted the ovoid shape [as original] and an aftermarket price point during replacement.

ANSA.png BOSAL.png

M

·
Registered
'90 560SEL Blauschwarz/Black
67 Posts
I bought a Bosal "midmuff" from PartsGeek and it looked NOTHING like the picture. I went ahead and had it installed as the existing were rusted/holed bad... But if I found a new set that looked right, I would buy it and wait.
Exhaust, Old Resonance Chamber and heat shield.JPG Exhaust, New Resonating Chambers installed.JPG

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
328 Posts
Very nice! ANd thanks as alwyas guys

A quick question, do I absolutely need to drop the exhaust if I ever need to pull the driveshaft?

Pete

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
206 Posts
Congrats,
I so want one. I did not drive enough this year though.
Thanks! When I heard about these high mileage awards, I was bummed out because the car wasn't running and had been sitting for many years. I really didn't think we would get it going and reliable enough to putter into the dealership so they could verify the VIN and mileage, but with the help of the amazing people in this forum, not only does the car run, it's almost back to daily driver condition. I seriously can't thank you guys enough for the help, tips, advice and above all patience with all my questions. Everyone of you has an ice cold brewski waiting in my fridge if you're ever in SLC...

Thanks, again!

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
328 Posts
Congrats that's cool! Hopefully some day....

I ended up having stainless straight pipes welded in where the midmuff kidneys were, with the bolt flanges, so I can still drop the the back part of the exhaust. $300. I pick it up this evening - here's hoping I like it.

As far as the vibration I did (do) have different rims - I have a set of snow tires on their own rims. It doesn't effect the vibration any. I'm still leaning towards swapping a hub.

Pete

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
288 Posts
I ended up having stainless straight pipes welded in where the midmuff kidneys were, with the bolt flanges, so I can still drop the the back part of the exhaust.
I can’t wait for your comments on the new exhaust. Wonder how much louder this will be?

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
328 Posts
On 50 mph state roads, it's very minor, but I can tell - it sounds like a little more wind/road noise.

I haven't heard it outside of the car yet. I also haven't taken it on an interstate. I'll comment again when I do.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,094 Posts
Finally got around to correcting the stance on my Euro 560SEL. Front was too high and with the AMG wheels it was driving me crazy. Still drove ok but not what I wanted. Cut 1 coil and the spring nub is a (1) or 8mm.

·
Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
501 Posts
I won't bore you with another pix of my too high front and I do understand Ian's advice that messing with springs does not have a sure-shot formula. Nevertheless, what you have done is about what I would like to end up having. It would be quite helpful for comparison if you had a "before" photo of that beauty. .and what size tires are those?

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,485 Posts
Stewpot, its going to be a number of factors that enter into this. First, what you want. It seems like you are leaning towards what magicdaddy did, but it depends on the tires you will be getting, the nubs you have, what type of springs, the wheels, etc. I would suggest you try to get your springs in the middle of where you would like the look to be, using your rims and tires, then to use the spring isolators (nice term for the rubbers) to finalize the look. Also when you do this you have to leave whatever you do in place for a little while just to let things settle. Good luck

11101 - 11120 of 11156 Posts