Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

11081 - 11100 of 11156 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300SEL 158K;1980 450SL 31K
750 Posts
Whoah here. Yes I would like the details but also I see a serpentine belt on your car. So did the M117 change from all those vbelts at one time to serpentine later in the production year? If so please send me a picture of that setup. That is a huge improvement!
My car has M103 engine the inline 6, PM me and I will send you the details

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,063 Posts
Technically Yesterday..

We went to the Palmer Motorsports Park, a private club venue, as part of the Laps with Larz Event put on by the Larz Anderson Antique Auto Museum here in Boston.
I'd love to be able to take my SEC out on a track, we have Road Atlanta about an hour north of me and other than the wheels, discs, and Tri-Ys Mine is equipped the same. I don't know if they ever let "civilians" out on the track

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,386 Posts
I received my car back today from the prop shaft centre. The good news is that everything related to the prop shaft is now sorted: the vibration between 30-40km/h is gone, the constant shaking and rattling has subsided.

The bad news is that it's not over yet.

The car feels smooth and stable up to 130km/h, when a low frequency vibration starts up again. It is worst when I'm accelerating hard, and noticeably less at constant speed or closed throttle. Perhaps it will disappear when I have replaced the shocks. Perhaps the car has been standing for so long that the wheel balancing I had done before the prop shaft job is now null and void. Or perhaps there is something as yet undiscovered and unaddressed.

I also had one dead spark plug that has now been replaced.

Still, she doesn't frighten me, so I'm taking her to work tomorrow. A dose of hilly highway will do her good. It always does.

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
206 Posts
I have my second one now and wouldn’t dream of selling it anytime in the near future. I bought at a reasonable price for what it was with a load of history and a receipt from Bruce Mendel, that is to say there was an invoice from him for shipment to the previous owner. I had sellers remorse after selling my 91 560SEC in 2009 but bought this one in 20016 after missing that car. I lucked out because it had genuine amg Penta wheels and euro headlights and indicator lamps, also one touch window circuit installed. After performing all corrective repairs to suspension and oil leaks and installing tri y exhaust manifolds and down pipes and a few other details, the thing drives like a new car with impressive acceleration at any speed. Good luck finding one.
One touch window circuit? If that means you press the window button, and they go all the way down, then press it the other way and they go all the way up, I want it too! Is that an easy retrofit?

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,472 Posts
The one touch windows also close when locking the car. Sorry I do not know how hard it would be to wire up, as the one touch system was already there when I bought the car. There is a module you would have to wire up.

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
151 Posts
A few more things to consider regarding the vibration now that you feel that the prop shaft issue has been resolved.

What did the place actually do? Did they balance the prop shaft / drive shaft? Did they replace the center support bearing? Did they replace the Guibo on both ends if you have 2?

If yes to all, than look at wheel balancing or perhaps if it was sitting for a long time you may have flat spotted the tires. However, that you would feel more so during slow speed. Another thing to consider is worn out bushings and ball joints in the suspension. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,386 Posts
What did the place actually do? Did they balance the prop shaft / drive shaft? Did they replace the center support bearing? Did they replace the Guibo on both ends if you have 2?
Yes, yes, and yes. Plus they rebuilt the UJ, replaced the centering bushes inside both ends of the prop shaft and replaced / repaired the metal prongs on the front shaft. They also straightened the prop shaft after instalation.

If yes to all, than look at wheel balancing or perhaps if it was sitting for a long time you may have flat spotted the tires. However, that you would feel more so during slow speed. Another thing to consider is worn out bushings and ball joints in the suspension. Keep us posted.
Yup. But first, the wheel shocks and the transmission mount.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,446 Posts
Removing a vibration can be like finding a needle in a wheat field. VERY difficult. I have been dealing with it for 16 months. Each time we discover something it is reduced, but still there. At the moment I can hit 63mph and not feel it, but it starts to appear at 64+ and is more noticeable if I press the pedal to the floor in the 60's as I go up into the 70's.

My planned trip down south to Pierre Hedary has been scrapped twice due to covid nonsense and it now looks like maybe I won't get down to him until next year, which means I drive the car a lot less and not on the highway. :(

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
3 Posts
Removing a vibration can be like finding a needle in a wheat field. VERY difficult. I have been dealing with it for 16 months. Each time we discover something it is reduced, but still there. At the moment I can hit 63mph and not feel it, but it starts to appear at 64+ and is more noticeable if I press the pedal to the floor in the 60's as I go up into the 70's.

My planned trip down south to Pierre Hedary has been scrapped twice due to covid nonsense and it now looks like maybe I won't get down to him until next year, which means I drive the car a lot less and not on the highway. :(
What size wheels are you running? The reason I ask is I took a 1991 SEC with staggered 17"s for a test drive this week and experienced vibration at the SAME speeds you describe. I consulted Pierre through this process and he said the large wheels were definitely the problem. He's not a fan of 17s, saying they have a negative effect on suspension components.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,446 Posts
16 inch BBS RA's. I avoided 17's specifically to try and maintain a decent ride. Hopefully I can get down to Florida sooner, rather than later. We all know this year is pretty unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,485 Posts
Well, this will be long and I hope you enjoy the ride so to speak. I am not putting this post in the AC refurbish since there are just a number of odds and ends here and thought you might like some of the trials and travails of a parent. We will get to the Waldo part later! But today I decide to take apart the Denso Compressor since I want to add new seals and O rings. I already have it out since I am replacing the hoses, and I thought I would replace the front crank sensor at the same time since I have a new one (mistake thinking it was the important one) and the old ones wires are very brittle. At any rate I start to take apart the compressor using the video supplied by Century Air. Pretty straight forward except they tell you not really to remove the pistons. I did get a puller from the local parts store for the pulley and well when I get that done, have all the bolts out, the thing slips out of my hand and of course everything goes all over. There are pistons, rod bearing I guess you would call them etc on the bench on the floor!!!!!!. Stuff from hell to breakfast and back. So at that point I figure I might as well clean everything up very nice and wait for parts and go through the darn thing totally. See the pictures of all the parts on the bench. But wait, I figure while I am under the car, I might as well take the steering sector out. I just put it in in the spring but it simply was never correct. It made the car wander, which is not like a Mercedes should be. Mark and I at C&M hydraulics have been discussing things and we agreed it would be best to send it back to him to see whats up (great guy). Well if none of you have ever done this job let me tell you it is not an easy one. That sucker is heavy and its all overhead At any rate after much a tussle its out and boxed ready to go. My shoulders are telling me I am old. But after getting out from under the car just before I take a shower I look at by belly button and see a bump, GD a hernia!!! Never had one in all my life even after lifting engine blocks in my youth That moose I keep telling you I am feeding muffins to is certainly taking his today! I think he even ate my steak! Still not finished though with the car Before I clean up I also decide to look for Waldo, which is the missing bolts to remove the bracket holding the AC compressor. Nope not yet. I have to really get someone who has the engine out, and with a similar year to tell me where I am missing the bolts. On this one I am getting closer to giving up on this task and leaving that old crank sensor in. Of course by now I broke that wire going to it but boy that bolt or two is really hidden. Of course I have a stainless belly pan on keeping me from seeing things too. Before long the compressor will be out, the lines, the radiator, the condenser, the steering sector, the belly pan, the false firewall, and of course the wheel and tire. Dash has not even started

But two other things you might find amusing, which happened at the same time. My middle daughter, who is a registered mechanical engineer asked me to come up and help her with her house for a couple of days. Understand she saw my wife and I redoing a number of homes when she was growing up so she thinks she can do it all. I said sure, but she admonished me this time that if I start a project I have to finish it before I move onto the next one. I told her I did not work that way, that it was more efficient to get everything apart at once, then simply put it back together at the same time while you have the tools out. The only down side of working this way is you have to remember where a sh-- load of parts go. She was not swayed so we will see. I have envisions of much anguish but I chuckle not how daughter is turning into the parent.

Then on the same day, my youngest comes over and shows me that he was rear ended on the express way, not his fault and he was not hurt but since he does not have collision, could I simply help him straighten things out. You take a look. Well I can see I have some work ahead of me not even counting on removing the dash.

Sorry I hope you are not offended by the personal data, sometimes some humor on what we do on a daily basis puts things in perspective.

Have a good night all, aspirin anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
Where's the picture of the hernia?

What a day!
LMAO 🎬📷

Stutz, OUCH on the last pic but at least he walked away from that, if he was hit the other guys policy should cover damages. Looking at the bracket pic I'm wracking my brain trying to remember all the bolts holding it on as I did a compressor replace last Fall and pulled the nasty grungy bracket for cleaning. I still have the old compressor and while it was still working, it too was leaking from the front seal

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
I just looked through my pics, did you get that hidden bolt out under SLS pump/distributor housing ?
20191009_154028_HDR.jpg

Those on the helper bracket ?
20191002_214523_HDR.jpg

Reactions: AxelWulff

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,021 Posts
I drove the SE, hadn't moved for a while, I disabled it while I went away camping, all I usually do is unplug the fuel pump relay.
It started instantaneously as usual despite having sat in hammering rain for however long, almost as if it had already been running and was just nudged into play again.

Vacuumed it. What a car.

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
476 Posts
Spent the afternoon replacing the transmission mount and shifter bushings, always a fun job especially when you don't want to go through the bother of pulling the shifter to replace the one on it.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Oh, my. You're complaining about replacing the mount and all of the two bushes? I have to disassemble my W123 for the umpteenth time because the replacement transmission is in worse condition than my broken unit - I haven't even lowered that car off the jack stands, and I have to repeat the entire process again.

Reactions: kevdupuis

·
Registered
1990 560SEL
53 Posts
I replaced the coolant expansion tank, cap, and level sensor today. I'd noticed the coolant level seemed low in the expansion tank and a bit of dried coolant near the base of the cap. When I opened the cap, part of it was floating in the tank. The cap was done and the mating surface on the expansion tank was well worn. The replacement was fairly straight forward. Snap ring pliers make life easier as does a bit of silicone lube on the sensor o-ring. The hose coming off the expansion tank near the cap was cooked and had to be replaced. With new hose in hand after a quick run to the dealer (read expensive), I pulled off the fender liner to find the second expansion tank and the location of the missing coolant. There's not a lot in there and the second task looks brutal to remove, so it's going to stay there. I was surprised to see the fender liner is still available so I'll order that tomorrow.

11081 - 11100 of 11156 Posts