Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10901 - 10916 of 10916 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,340 Posts
Odds and ends day. Bought a Mothers new type of clay bar and redid the car. Its amazing how much dirt gets inbedded in a new (two year) old paint job. Once I did that I put another coat of ceramic coating on the car. Babys butt smooth now. Also the steering wheel was ever so slightly out of center so removed the wheel and moved it to get it to center. Only took three different tries. I swear mercedes has a number of gorilla bolts (some that are very hard to undue and take the strenght of the gorilla) They are the harmonic balancer, the back half shaft allen bolts, the rear bearing crush washer bolt and the steering wheel center bolt. Probably more but can't think of them. Also traveled to the paint shop and they told me the extra trunk lid with the AMG spoiler will be ready next week so I followed Axels advice and took one of the springs out of the SEL hinge. I will try replacing one at a time. I hope I can do it in the car? I also started putting film on the side windows but after one done I found it was too dark so back to square one. Its really the back window that needs it but the kits simply are not large enough. That might be one I take it to a professional.

Next week I take the car back to the tranny shop. Its leaded oil since I had it done and its annoying. I did buy a new pan and its not that. I suspect its the seal. I also see a drip or two of engine oil and they were supposed to replace the rear main when they had it out. So a serious discussion will have to take place.

Then when on a long drive and was very pleased,

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,348 Posts
Earlier this year I had a center console box restored and ended up selling it on eBay for a nice price. I turned around and purchased another off eBay, but the felt was filthy and stunk to hell. Cleaning it took a lot of work. The wooden door/slats were hard to open and close so I removed the unit and lubricated with candle wax. Now it's nice and smooth.

If I ever decide to restore the wood on this box the total spent will end up being around $70 under what the last one cost me to buy and restore. I am in no rush since the wood on this looks nice and dark (there are some tiny chips). These suckers make great cup holders. :)

EDIT: I should add that last week I drove the SEC when the outside temp was about 96 with sickening humidity. For the first time ever I was not getting cold ac. It was just "cool" and therefore not really effective. This morning the humidity was high with an outside temp just below 90. The ac was nice and cold and stayed that way for my 20 minute drive.

Pierre Hedary tested my system last year and it was "contaminated." No doubt it needs to be purged and refilled with r12. The key is doing it environmentally safe.

·
Registered
1991 560SEL
597 Posts
I havent done anything to mine in awhile now. She's been sitting in the garage on the battery tender. I did take her out to dinner with the wife (outdoor dining at a nice little restaurant) in a neighboring town last weekend. Blistering hot day with 100% humidity. The AC was 100% effective/ice cold, with plenty of air blowing through the vents. After about 15 mins, had to raise the temp wheel a bit as it was actually getting too cold within the car. Engine temp remained steady as a rock the entire time. Took a few backroads on the way back and the car still runs/drives just oh so good. Even had the sunroof open on the way home with AC on, and the AC was still too cold at full blast.

Got home, took lots of damp clean microfibers and lightly wiped it down in back and forth motions to get any dust off. Same with the wheels. Also vacummed it out(Not that it really needed it). but I love to keep it fresh/ready to go. Still has nice coat of sealant/wax from a few months ago. Since she never sees rain and only sees sun when driven and is only carefully hand washed, condition of paint remains top notch.

Plan to take her to the next Cars and Coffee we have here, maybe a couple more, then most likely will start marketing for sale in the fall.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,057 Posts
Yes, there is a Mercedes found under natures camouflage i.e. green slime. Got the car running well, time to change all fluids, filters, brake inspection and some fresh fuel. As with most PNW cars, no rust or sunburn. Back to work on a couple w126 cars. Mike

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,312 Posts
So, after yet another week of only highway driving, she repeated her feat of returning fuel consumption better than 10km/lt.

And then the instruments died...

The warning lights are working, and the clock is ticking. So I suspect Fuse 2 or Fuse 6. The question is "why?"

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,340 Posts
Finally, one of the hens teeth (I call hard to find AMG parts) came home today. Its the rear spoiler for my SEC. Luckily for me I have a friend that has a number of parts cars so he gave me a rear trunk lid, so I could put the spoiler on. Since I have two I could in theory change back and forth between a lid with the spoiler and one without. The attached pictures kinda give you the idea. Its also the reason I have been working on changing the trunk hinge springs from a sedan to my coupe. I do have to drill a couple of holes for the spoiler (does anyone have a template, or measurement of the holes) and I have to figure out what I want to use as a gasket between the spoiler and the trunk deck. An interesting item came to light in that the new trunk lids emblems were all bolted on. All the other new ones I received when the car was painted were simply which stuck them on. My guess is MB changed sometime during the production run. Well enjoy the day and if its cool this weekend (no rain so I don't golf) I will install this and send out pics. Yes I do have the spoiler brake light but its kinda in poor shape so if anyone has a source let me know. I have not had any luck on that so far

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,762 Posts
Hey there Stutz,

After you paint that to Amandine Red, it won't really work with your car so needs to shipped here to Massachusetts!

Looks awesome, man!

Congrats!

MBL

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,340 Posts
Here its is mounted. I have new emblems coming so ignore what you see since my car is really a 560 not a 500, and I have to find a pristine trunk chrome but I am very pleased with the look. The spare trunk lid is now in the attic with what it seems at times a whole other car. Not sure if I will make the spoiler light a simple running light or a brake light. I did not change the trunk hinge springs yet since you have to remove the hat tray to get at one bolt. That job might wait til fall. I have to tell you though without the help of the stronger hinge springs that trunk is really heavy. You need a rod to prop it open.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1991 560sel 1969 280SL
1,309 Posts
Looks really nice John!! Coming along beautifully, congrats on the job :)

·
4,762 Posts
Totally what 1783 & gogi said above!

It looks awesome indeed.

M

·
4,762 Posts
For my teal '87 560 I topped off the A/C, adjusted the tire pressures, and had it washed for tomorrow's West of Larz car rally here in the greater Boston area.
We go from the Larz museum out into the hill country near the Quabbin Resevoir. Its soo nice to drive those rural roads, I can't wait!

Now the A/C is cold as proverbial 'ice' again, the fuel tank is now full of 2/3 new premium, 1/3 three-year-old premium, and a new container of SeaFoam added.
Last week I got a new safety inspection sticker & put the insurance to reasonable levels. Tomorrow morning I will wipe the tires wit 303 Protectant [Thank you Brian Carlton] to make 'em blacker without a shiny effect.

Real early in the AM, we go to the Larz Anderson Antique Car Musem in Brookline to get our COVID19 liability releases, prepaid lunches & tour maps.
Welcome to conscientious touring. I'm all for it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 5.59.13 PM.png

This is the first time K & I have been out socially since I think March.

The weather forecast is fabulous! I am definitely MB speeding tomorrow, in total comfort & with my honey!!

Woo Hoo M!

·
Registered
1990 300SEL, 2005 SL500
218 Posts
I painted a set of w126 wheels today. It's all about prep and laying down some nice coats. Mike
I think I need to recall old Nike slogan and
”Just do it”
I bet those wheels will totally transform the car.
What did you use to clean inside the holes?
And the finish, you achieved that from the can? No spray gun? Amazing.

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,496 Posts
Got a set of Euro SEC headlights for Rose. She has her original Euro headlight, but I needed the passenger side lense.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,057 Posts
I think I need to recall old Nike slogan and
”Just do it”
I bet those wheels will totally transform the car.
What did you use to clean inside the holes?
And the finish, you achieved that from the can? No spray gun? Amazing.
I use full strength degreaser with a red 3M scuffy pad to clean then follow up with a dry scuff to rough up the surface for paint. Apply the paint with a gun and follow with a clearcoat blend from the gun. 70-80% matte clear and 20-30% gloss. Happy using MB "brilliant silber" as the paint color. Looks great on bundts as well.

10901 - 10916 of 10916 Posts