Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10821 - 10840 of 10887 Posts

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
386 Posts
Rebuilt the fuel distributor. Runs and idles smoother. I have to check adjustments still and maybe compare how evenly fuel is distributed between injectors. I would screw the injectors to distributor with o-rings and put plastic pipes pointing up on the injectors. Jump fuel pumps and deflect the measuring plate to see how level is rising in the pipes.

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,216 Posts
whats the trick to getting this piece back in...im trying to slide it back but im getting jammed up, its tight where the rail of the car seat is down there... View attachment 2637378
Assuming you have the seats all the way back, grab the part of the panel that goes up against the firewall and bend it so that you can align the part that goes under the center console and slide it straight backwards and into to place.

Not fun, but doable.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,410 Posts
yeah seat is back...it just doesn want to slide anymore...and then thats when i stop finessing and using force which i know will equal cracking somewhere...

im wondering if unbolting the rails to get more room near the seat might be a good idea, but i dont want to open another can of worms if i do.

·
Premium Member
2009 CL63 AMG / 2013 GL550
1,405 Posts
whats the trick to getting this piece back in...im trying to slide it back but im getting jammed up, its tight where the rail of the car seat is down there... View attachment 2637378
You're trying to get the carpeted panel back into place that's under the center console right?

I think you're gonna have to loosen up the center console first (which I'm sure you know is a PITA; take out radio, loosen climate control, then screws at top). Trying to slide it under without loosening the center console is gonna be tough. Besides the screw that holds the carpeting in place, I believe there are some plastic clips that need to be set in place

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,311 Posts
Success, I blocked off the seat vacuum line (blue) at the distribution block (false firewall) and now the vacuum gauge reads almost to the left most of the time. It could be my imagination but I think the kickdown works better and I have better acceleration. Woo Hoo! I would not think that small of line though would make a huge difference in overall vacuum, just where the gauge reads but I would be wrong. I can sleep nights now on that one. I also received a set of AMG side skirts and a rear bumper lip this Friday. The lip is going to take some work but the side skirts are in good shape. I am debating whether to take them to a strip it place and blast the paint off (not sand) or use a paint stripper. There seems to be a lot of coats on them and I would like to start from scratch. As an aside, by now my guess is there are very few nos AMG bits out there and if one finds a used one they all will need some work. Just be prepared. Its either time, (your own) or money. I went on a ride today after the vacuum line was capped to test things and ran the AC at full tilt for a while. Its all R12 and full on it shoots out 65 degree air. So I think you could use that for a test temp since I see no evidence of the system being tampered with, and it seems to work correctly. I do know on very hot days it struggles but I believe that is the heat load from all the glass.

·
Premium Member
2009 CL63 AMG / 2013 GL550
1,405 Posts
I went on a ride today after the vacuum line was capped to test things and ran the AC at full tilt for a while. Its all R12 and full on it shoots out 65 degree air. So I think you could use that for a test temp since I see no evidence of the system being tampered with, and it seems to work correctly. I do know on very hot days it struggles but I believe that is the heat load from all the glass.
Awesome about the AC - especially R12 :) Even when the AC is trying hard, you're right - there is a lot of glass letting UV in. I got a quality tint done (Formula One Stratos, 70%) including the windshield... I think the windshield was key. It made a HUGE difference without being too dark (for me)

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,410 Posts
You're trying to get the carpeted panel back into place that's under the center console right?

I think you're gonna have to loosen up the center console first (which I'm sure you know is a PITA; take out radio, loosen climate control, then screws at top). Trying to slide it under without loosening the center console is gonna be tough. Besides the screw that holds the carpeting in place, I believe there are some plastic clips that need to be set in place

i just reinstalled the climate control. the center wood, the radio, the ash tray and put the two screws that hold the vacuum pods lines on the right side back in place....i am not taking everything apart again..

im going in complete reverse order i was going in first.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
292 Posts
Tried installnig the keyless entry everyone uses - it appears the unit is defective. I tested it per the sellers instructions. Oh well, at least the wiring's all done (what little there was).

Pete

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,350 Posts
Wetsanded and then buffed up the awful spray can job I had to do on the peeling lacquer that happened on the SE leading edge of the side of the roof.
If that makes any sense. My previous use of a cover caused this. And probably endless polishing.
A year or two ago I coated it up with MB aerosol cans with the correct code for my chassis, just to prevent more peeling. After an initial go at blending the horror in with polish, I gave up until now. Came up great actually, not the same colour really but shiny and not very noticeable now at all as opposed to WTF.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,350 Posts
Busy day with this one. Did the easy 1st gear start modification by Corellian Corvette. Kudos to them, works great and very easy.

Fixed my centre vent illumination lack of, again thanks to a post on here.

Wiped down the engine bay. Looked for anywhere that could be a vacuum leak because I seem to have one. Couldn't see anything, I should do a smoke check. Even those ones on the throttle body are OK, I checked with a pair of long nosed hemostat things.
Anyway runs great, just the dash gauge suggests a leak.

Machine finished a buffing job I did yesterday on a touch up area on the roof. Looks fine now.

Changed the glove box door, keeping the wood I already have so swapped that over. The original door gone back on now. For some reason the one I put on when I changed the dash, would catch open every now and then. It's not an exact match of black actually, but neither was the other one. Funny how they did different blacks isn't it. Anyway it works much nicer now.

A happy car day.

Attachments

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,350 Posts
Yeah it's great actually. Dual zone too, although that does mean duo valve instead of mono valve. It's very adaptable.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,682 Posts
Picked up my 500SEC from Winter + Covid storage today.. A glorious 29C/84F day here... drove great, engine temp a tad over 80C on the gauge, ACC ice cold.. sitting at idle the Aux fan kicked in on low speed. The acceleration at highway speed to supra-legal is just plain great!

I'd almost forgotten how totally fun this car is, not having seen it since early November last year!

The front directionals have a fault & I found a mouse nest in a bag in the right trunk well. Remembering one horrid winter storage with my 560, I checked the air filter element... was chewed some. Three years no issues. Uff!

Dangity-Dang DANG!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,682 Posts
NO 'renewed' evidence at all, never since I got it in early 2017.. 'til June, 2020.... Sooooo exciting! [the car! LOL]

I think they are gaining access using those cabin air 'one-way' 'extractor/exhaust valves' in the trunk located behind the bumper cover, pointing L & R, behind the rear wheel wells.

M

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,035 Posts
A few years ago I had a couple W126's at one time. Now there's 9, thinking my friends and family may be planning an intervention.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,311 Posts
I have had two warning lights on the dash lit for a while, one is the SRS light or air bag one and that is due to me installing a wood wheel which does not have an air bag. Shame on me but I leave the light only to make me look for the correct center of the wheel to buy. The other was the light out warning bulb. I had just put all new normal bulbs in after removing all the LED ones for the same reason, that is to get the light to shut off. I know I could remove the dash bulb but just knowing it was not operating would have driven me bonkers, so today I took the time to look at all the bulbs. You guessed it, it was the third brake light bulb. Seem I put in a 10 watt one to help reduce heat, but nooooo, those German engineers demanded a 21 watt unit. So put the right bulb in and success!. Problem is this is about the millionth time I took that third brake light housing apart and each time I glued it together. Its getting pretty ratty so I hope this is one of the things they 3D print. I also checked the temps of the AC discharge. It was 54F which is about 10F lower than maximum. I have R12 in it so its likely a clogged evaporator, expansion valve, or drier. NOt sure if I want to tackle that since here in Michigan the air is only on maybe 10 days. We will see. Nice thing was I took it on a 100 mile ride yesterday and everything was flawless.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,035 Posts
I've got a good feeling about Hugo's post about cleaning the condenser. That makes a lot of sense. All the air and other stuff entering the cabin goes thru that component. In 30 years it has to be clogged up. I can imagine how much air (cfm) came out of the vents when these cars were new. I recently picked up a 40k mile 84 SEL and noticed ample air coming from the vents. Appears to be a couple hour job to clean that coil. Have read threads with pics showing the coil nearly clogged up. Think of what an air filter would look like after 30 years and 150k miles? Mike

[IMG alt="hugo2648"]https://www.benzworld.org/d2/avatars/m/112/112589.jpg?1581901763[/IMG]
hugo2648

Reactions: ianrandom
10821 - 10840 of 10887 Posts