Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10541 - 10560 of 10581 Posts

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
172 Posts
AreVee: Won for the win! :)

Finally getting over a cold/flu/whatever and got back to the mighty 420 Saturday.

Drained the transmission and converter and installed a new Wix filter. Refilled with Chevron MD-3, plus I always add a slug of Lucas trans goop with each change.

The pan was remarkably clean, amazing. I couldn't see any schmutz with my naked eye (whoo baby) - there was a very little silver on the rag I wiped it out with. Yay.

The old fluid color was also nicely red, but getting darker, and not watery. One filter screw was tough to break loose. I used a hand impact screwdriver and it loosened right up. That is one useful tool, when you need it you really need it.

I did have to run out to HF and buy a 1/4" click torque wrench as my beam didn't go high enough. As I told the guy at checkout, it's my fault for not having one already!

Sidenote, I checked it against the beam and it seemed calibrated OK (though it feels really cheap - and it was). You can't hear the click though, you have to feel/watch for it, it's pretty obvious.

Sidenote #2: On my car the 02 sensor wire runs though a clip on the side of my tranny pan, that is held on with the tranny pan bolts. I had a new Bosch sensor on hand so went ahead and changed it. If you're flushing your tranny and it needs the sensor, might as well do it together. It added less than a half hour to the job (mine came our easy though). Maybe you don't have to remove the clip though? I dunno.

Result: A difference you can feel, quieter and smoother. How much is the fluid, and how much is the Lucas (which always does something)? Again I don't know. I use less than 1/2 a quart of Lucas. I feel better for the change though :-D

The engine seems smoother too. The old sensor was very sooted and probably original.

Lastly, to add to what everyone says, the whole change did use almost exactly 8.5 quarts of fluid.

I would've changed the diff oil Sunday but, 15 degrees F! :brr:

Pete

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,659 Posts
Moved my parts car again. Pretty hard work, but it got evicted from where it was.
Guy i booked for transportation arrivedwith a trailer towed behind an SUV. It had a little manual winch to haul the car up onto the trailer. "You'll need to do that bit, young fella me lad" he said. I can see why, it took a while. 😂

Poor old thing is under a cover at my house now, at least I stand more of a chance of getting more bits off it. I never want to let it go though, parts cars are the best thing ever.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
"I never want to let it go though, parts cars are the best thing ever."

Especially true as our cars age and parts supply dries up...

I know the feeling, Ian.. Many, many years ago I had another 5 or 6-year-old rusty 3.8 Jag saloon parked under an apple tree at my parents' house for parts. My mother raised a jaundiced eye towards it as she ran her real estate business from her office in the detached garage. Looking back, I don't blame her one bit.

M

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
172 Posts
If I had a place for a parts car! How awesome it would be. I'd have a pole barn with a lift too ;)

Changed the diff oil with Mobil 1. Both plugs came out OK. Old oil was not watery but a little brown - it was time.

Still smelled pretty nasty though.

There is gear oil out there with a grape smell.

And kudos to MB for giving one enough room to add the new oil without a pump, so much easier.

Pete

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,910 Posts
Just started refreshing a wonderful 91 300SE. PNW car so no sunburn, no rust and well loved. Great color combo with simple elegance. Shorty's are really great cars. Gonna make someone a wonderful DD. The color of the instrument cluster needles says it all. Mike

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,154 Posts
1. Okay so I lovingly washed the 500 SEC and applied lotion to the leather seats.
2. I ordered a rear differential mount (mine is beyond shot).
3. It arrived this morning and I have an appointment to install Feb 11 (as soon as they can fit me in.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
172 Posts
I finished up / closed the repair & maintenance log on the old gal for 2019.

$4100+ in receipts since bought in September. In fairness though it should be the majority cost of the total refresh.

Pete

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,659 Posts
Had a day off with not a lot to do so I tended to some small things on the SE. Took the interior fan out and lubed it again, did it the other day too. I've given up on silicone spray and managed to get some machine oil onto the noisy bit using a curved syringe. Quiet now.

Realised there was a split in the hose going to the little sampler fan for the sensor has a split in it where it slips onto the fan. So basically it slips off. Put a little screw clamp on to keep it in place securely. Now the climate sensor overhead will get a proper reading.

Cleaned the carpets a bit and then rubbed on some protectant that brings back that lovely velour feel.

Detail cleaned the dash and consoles with a little brush and everything. Like a person with car OCD might. (Obviously not me then haha.)
Quite satisfying getting all the vents so clean.

Polished the exhaust tips! And emptied and vacuumed the carpets in the boot. One well was slightly damp but they other bone dry. I'm considering that's a win, since it's hammered down with rain here for months and I also jet washed the car.

I've been collecting FPR units out of nerves cos they're NLA and the car depends on them. Didn't realise I had four of them in the boot.
Tried all and they all worked perfectly. Accrued from ebay and chucked in the boot I guess!
Also bought a knock off one for emergencies, put that one in and found it still has kickdown function and the unspecified rev limit on it still enables 6k rpm.

A nice pottering W126 day.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,283 Posts
I didn't have nearly as much fun as you, Ian.

I just went down to the storage warehouse and paid the rental for the 560..

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
Well, this weekend was fun. First went to Chicago to be with a friend that has a number of these and is parting them out. Got to see lots of AMG parts, ricarros, and wheels, and helped him in the shop. Everything goes better with beer and Chicago Pizza! But the special part was I was invited to a guys house that spent five years putting together an SEC. It is the best non wide body I have seen, even the one original sold recently on BAT did not pop like the one I saw here. The car was decked out all in black, with all the chrome black except the trunk star, the trunk 560, the small chrome piece on the bottom trim, and the front grill star, with one chrome slat. Three piece chrome staggered wheels, with centers black, lightly tinted windows, AMG side skirts, an AMG rear bumper lip, front dog ear lip, very small AMG rear spoiler, and of course it was a Euro car. I am telling you I could not find a flaw. Oh yes it had black ricarros, and the guy did all the wood himself in carbon fiber. Interior roof done in Acatara? Guy used to work for a Mercedes dealer, and was a painter just to give you an idea of his skill level. He told me he spent over a month just fitting the front dog ears!!!!!! I did not take too many pics since it was inside a garage but you can bet this summer I am going to ask for some outside ones. But I have attached a few. Problem is I now see I have a long way to go to get to this level. I think my engine bay is better, but wow....... small little details!!!!!! On the positive side I did pick up a rear Lorinsiser bumper, a rear spoiler with an extra trunk lid so I can take it on and off depending on likes, and a few other bits. I also picked up some GEN 1 cladding but more on that later

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,234 Posts
is this the fellow who has a diablo too?

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2013 GL550
1,372 Posts
Been a while since I shared an update- I know I was going through the whole interior of my car during the heat of the summer. Work got a bit busy and update-wise, I fell off the face of the earth. Good news is: most everything is back together.

I captured a video showing where things are as of today- questions and comments very welcome :)

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC, 2005 E500, 1988 300SEL
15 Posts
Been a while since I shared an update- I know I was going through the whole interior of my car during the heat of the summer. Work got a bit busy and update-wise, I fell off the face of the earth. Good news is: most everything is back together.

I captured a video showing where things are as of today- questions and comments very welcome :)
Beautiful interior and wood panels. Nice work!

·
Registered
59 Posts

Nice job! Yeah, if anyone has a trick for keeping the door courtesy light in place, that would be helpful. I have the same issue.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,159 Posts
Out with one on with another. Actually just fitting the bumper on. Have to get it painted yet but this is the one I ended up with. Will put the other rear euro bumper in the fs section.

Also going to try this spoiler. I have an extra trunk lid so no harm no foul. Just a lot of prep work

Attachments

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,154 Posts

What a gorgeous example. I added some comments to your video. Any plans on doing a custom exhaust? :)

10541 - 10560 of 10581 Posts