Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10501 - 10511 of 10511 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
I've done the relay upgrade to a couple old Ford Panthers, it worked well, I'm looking forward to doing them on the 420. Do I dare use the old factory Motorcraft relays I have lying around on the Mercedes? :-D

Changed the antenna grommet. With winter coming I've been busy cleaning out the garage...

Pete
I've done the relay's, too. I would go ahead and use the Motorcraft relays. Although it's nice to have Bosch in there and they aren't that expensive. Nice, simple upgrade project.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,092 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,877 Posts
Wow! That is absolutely beautiful work. I've got some learning to do.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
yeah thats what happens when the audio cost is same as purchase price of the car LOL

i added up all my receipts on this car build....i know they say its a NO, NO, but i did...

audio, motor work, exhaust, tri y headers, suspension lowering, interior bits and piece, headliner, steering wheel, body kit, paint and install...

we love it...

but i do need a warm up regulator if anyone has one btw

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,877 Posts
Not only did you hit a home run, you knocked it out of the stadium. Stunning to say the least!

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
thanks, its been a pretty crazy past 30 months with these 126 cars

must give much thanks to fellow enthusiast here who have helped along the way

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,419 Posts
It's rained for months here now and my car sits in a big puddle in the gravel. It doesn't get damp much surprisingly but it's rained so much I was getting a bit of condensation on the windows.

Drove it 600 miles in very bad weather but it was good to give it some use and the interior smelled so lovely after that. (Car was an absolute delight, aren't we lucky.)

Returned home and proceeded to leave the drivers window open a little bit overnight in the rain. Oops, never mind only a bit got in. It dried out though even though its very damp here.

Then I proceeded to leave the sunroof not quite closed from tilted, overnight in the frost. Damp air inside, had to turn up fan.

Been meaning to lube fan for a couple years now. This extra work made it make horrific very loud noises so I had to turn it off. Car stayed damp.

Took fan out, lubricated. Proceeded to snap off the tiny wires to the little climate sampler fan. Great. I do have a spare, but my boss used to be a TV engineer, so soldiered the tiny wires back onto the little plug again. (I can solder but not nicely at all.)

So a busy car day with very little achieved 😂

On the plus side, I think the rubber tube had slipped off the climate sampler fan, which would explain why my interior temperature regulation didn't seem so accurate recently. So obviously its on now.

I did seal the paint with Klasse sealant and clean the wheels nicely to make me feel better 😁

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
85 Posts
Did MOST of the brake job, 4 new rotors and rubber pigtails (both Raybestos Prof), pads (Akebono ceramic front, Centric ceramic rear), front bearings (Timken USA w/ Swag grease), and NOS National front bearing seals (which don't work).

The seals are the thing. They are too small! But listed as correct. I had another brand too and they are too small. They both have the number 3794 on the box - 3794s DO NOT fit! One has # 147669715 with the 3794 as well. Somewhere I picked up that non-ABS hubs take a different seal, maybe that's what these are for? I don't know.

I am waiting on Elring 0059974447 seals from FCP Euro to finish the job.

My observations: 1st, the brake pigtails are so often neglected and these were no exception, they were certainly original on this 29 year old car. As long as the connection on the body breaks loose OK it's an easy job on these IMO. Next time (if ever!) I'll buy the European brand hoses, simply so they'll (hopefully) NOT say 'Sansung' or whatever the Raybestos hoses say on them.

Fancy green bearing grease! I've packed many wheel bearings over the years and wondered about the grease weights, 45g on the bearings and 15g in the hubcap - do I really need to be told?

Apparently yes, shame on me. I packed them well but still had some left, I thought, I'll try to pack them some more, and lo and behold it took them :rolleyes: +1 for MB.

Grease in the cap WAS a nono on domestic cars of old, but apparently a good idea too. The old grease was pretty hard but still riding on the bearing a bit, with 'greasiness' definitely still left. I'm definitely 1) using the Swag grease on my other car wheel bearings from here on out (if that grease was as old I think it is, 15+ years or so at least, regular wheel bearing grease wouldn't be in as good condition), and 2) putting at least some in all hubcaps.

I also found an issue. I don't have a dial indicator so for more installation info I counted the number of turns it took to get the retainer nut off.

I noticed the passenger side was TIGHT, I had to lean into it a bit to get it broke loose. It took 10 turns exactly. The drivers side was NOT tight. IT took 10 turns exactly. Hmmmm.... sounds like someone told someone they should be tightened by 10 turns.

So I'll reinstall by the old seat of the pants method and go by somewhere around ten turns as a possible suggestion.

I also cleaned and sprayed a mineral oil based undercoating on both sides of the backing plates and the pigtail connections. It happens to be 'NHOU' brand (story on that in my car thread soon) and I like it - I'll be using it a lot here on out.

If felt nice to be working on the old girl again. The college radio station was playing Christmas polka songs, and I was enjoying 'Half Acre Pony Pilsner' I picked up the last time I was in Chicago. Rate it you say? OK, the polka was only half bad lol. The Pony Pils was ok, say 6 or 7 out of 10, for comparison I'd prefer Pilsner Urquell (which is a little sweet, where the Pony was a little bitter). But it wasn't terrible.

Blah blah blah :-D

Pete

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
85 Posts
Darn it I'm getting belt squeak from my S-10 (my 'work' car) (another super reliable vehicle). Hope it lasts until the MB is done! Maybe I'll look at it this evening.

I forgot to mention, I found FCP 's prices very good on the small stuff. I bought 5 wheel seals, 43 valve cover crush washers, and 5 transmission plug washers for $17 plus frt. Frt could've been as low as $5.Second day air was $16.

Pete

10501 - 10511 of 10511 Posts