·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,354 Posts

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,930 Posts
Ok, I have a dumb question, now that I'm done with my water pump / A/C compressor change, what do I do with the cores ? Is there a company out there that can rebuild / overhaul a MB water pump (I read here that MB prefers you turn in a core when buying one of their pumps). The compressor has to be a factory unit as it has the Star on the data plate, it still works but leaks from the front seal, perhaps there is a kit to overhaul it here and I'd have a good spare for future use. Thanks guys for all the support and tips here

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,882 Posts
Although every day I face challenges, I do enjoy my work environment. Wish I had followed this passion 20 years ago when I had a lot more energy.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,089 Posts
My 500 SEC continues to be a pleasure to drive. I finally reached a NO MORE point with my 2003 Malibu and sold it off to someone who must want to self torture. Two days later I drove the SEC to Raleigh (a 2.5 hr drive that took almost 4!) to look for a new daily driver. EVERYONE wanted to look at the SEC and I was constantly getting thumbs up. I received two serious offers, declining both with a smile.

My intention was to buy a used, but well cared for LEXUS ES 330 or ES 350 in cash, as they are bullet proof (my mom has an ES 350 and I love it). The 350's I found were not clean enough, but I almost snagged a perfect 2006 Lexus ES 330 with crazy low miles. It was dark green with a light tan interior and NO WEAR at all on the leather. The car was babied. Unfortunately someone wired money over for it while I was on my test drive. Shit! :) Such is life.

I also looked at a 1995 Mercedes E300 diesel, but found evidence of a wreck and some rust. No thanks. There were some 123's that I took a look at but they all had rust, despite looking nice from a distance. Rust = cancer and I just can't stomach it.

I stayed overnight at a terrible Airbnb in Cary and the next day ended up deciding to lease a 2019 Camry XLE before driving back home in ludicrous Friday rush hour Raleigh/Cary/Apex traffic. I know, I know... A Toyota! Well, they are reliable as hell and the deal was insanely in my favor. At $255 a month it is chump change. $4600 came off the retail so if I buy it out in 3 years I will be making out.

Upon returning Friday evening I gave the SEC a gentle rinse while taking care of the bug massacres all across the front. I also calculated my gas mileage at 15.9, which is damn good for a gas guzzler.

Saturday morning I rented a car 1-way to pick up the Camry and while it certainly does not have the amazing feel of my SEC it is a nice ride with all the safety features one could want in a car today. Meanwhile I can continue to enjoy the SEC, which I will now drive a lot less. I put 8k on it over the last 12 months and that was not my intention! :) What's amazing is how much I prefer the seats in my SEC. I find them to be perfect for my arthritic prone back.

P.S. While I was in the Raleigh area I came across a stunning c123 coupe, some ratty w123 diesels, a lovely w123 station wagon in white with larger bundt wheels and numerous w140's, but zero 126's.

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
90 Posts
I know what you mean about the Camry, I've owned a lot of Grand Marquis and they're a nice car too, but the big Merc is no match for the big Merc :-D

I picked the leaves off the 420 yesterday. Back on the road soon.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
Wired in this bad boy experimentally. A Pioneer ts-wx70da.

OMG, it is rocking. Awesome bass and very clear even in the boot of the W126 with the fuel tank in the way. Driving home I diverted at the last minute to have a little extra drive because my mouth was slightly open in amazement.

Sorry for the bad photo, night time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
328 Posts
Pretty much finished winterizing the 81 SD, new Toyo snows on all four points, winter floor mats in, 5w40 in the engine along with oil and fuel filters, fluids all checked & topped up, winter kit in the trunk & snow brush inside, I even lubed the antenna mast to prevent sticking. All that's left is the winter grill cover, I have to repair some stitching before installation.

·
Registered
1987 MB 420SEL
58 Posts
I have "repaired" the 3rd brake light casing on my 1987 420SEL. Due to the years exposed to sunlight and the ray, the plastic case cover's locking tabs on both sides were broken off. I first used gray duck tap to keep the cover attached. It did not take long that it fell off again - the duck tap became "jelly" after exposed to sun ray and hot summer. I found 4 small screws and cut 2 strips off a nylon zip tie. I drilled large enough holes at the ends on the 2 strips, one at each end and the holes are just bigger enough that the screws could go through. Then I lined up the strips with the case at each side and drilled smaller holes so the screws can go in and "make" threads on the thin and easy-to-crack plastic.

The cover seems to hold on. My next task is to find color-matched scrap materials and replace the white nylon strips.

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,089 Posts
I tried to get an alignment on my 500 SEC a few weeks back, but was told my center-link might need replacing. Had it looked it and yup, it needed replacing. And so, it is now replaced. Alignment scheduled for Tuesday. I won't be driving the SEC much between now and next Spring. I've been spending more time cleaning it. :)

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,094 Posts
got the sec in for an insane audio system

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,882 Posts
got the sec in for an insane audio system
Looking forward to the results. You always get the kool stuff done to your car and being in SoCal there are some great audio shops as well.

·
Premium Member
1987 560 sec impala metalflake over cream
1,081 Posts
well took the car on a little run yesterday 230 miles.The temp was just above freezing, car started flawlessly every time & ran great. my heater did not ! but we had heat, just too much at first & through the defrost ( which dyed out my eyeballs ). This has been a problem everytime it is cold, ( i believe it could be related to low Freon in the air con. unit ) but usualy im not driving car at these temps. as the light is short lived at this time of year we had to drive home in the dark & no surprize to anyone these lights suck. i seen some very good aftermarket ones on a SEL & will be trying to source some for the SEC. (any information where i can get some would be appreciated.) filled it up with premium & a can of seafoam, got very good gas mileage which i attribute to driving slow due to over driving the headlights haha.got the car cover sewn up & after a wash she will be stored for another winter, unless the weather allows me to put my timing chain in.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,444 Posts
well took the car on a little run yesterday 230 miles.The temp was just above freezing, car started flawlessly every time & ran great. my heater did not ! but we had heat, just too much at first & through the defrost ( which dyed out my eyeballs ). This has been a problem everytime it is cold, ( i believe it could be related to low Freon in the air con. unit ) but usualy im not driving car at these temps. as the light is short lived at this time of year we had to drive home in the dark & no surprize to anyone these lights suck. i seen some very good aftermarket ones on a SEL & will be trying to source some for the SEC. (any information where i can get some would be appreciated.) filled it up with premium & a can of seafoam, got very good gas mileage which i attribute to driving slow due to over driving the headlights haha.got the car cover sewn up & after a wash she will be stored for another winter, unless the weather allows me to put my timing chain in.
I have Euro headlights in both the SEL and SEC. Put LED headlights into both and love it. So...if you need 80/100 H4 bulbs, I can help. The LEDs I liked the best of the two sets purchased were by LASFIT H4 LED Headlight Bulbs, 9003 High/Low All-in-One Conversion Kit, 60w off Amazon. If you are using the 80/100 bulbs already, make sure you have four clean (new) brass fuses for them. If you try to clean a Mercedes headlight reflector, all that I've seen are silver plated and very fragile. They can be cleaned but softly.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,094 Posts
i experimented with led lights off ebay, a few different and could never get the sec headlight to project well . was very scattered

ended up getting the 80/100 german brand bulbs...blanking out on the name

i do not have any relays...but everything seems fine so far

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
90 Posts
I've done the relay upgrade to a couple old Ford Panthers, it worked well, I'm looking forward to doing them on the 420. Do I dare use the old factory Motorcraft relays I have lying around on the Mercedes? :-D

Changed the antenna grommet. With winter coming I've been busy cleaning out the garage...

Pete

10481 - 10500 of 10514 Posts