Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10461 - 10480 of 10514 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 560SEC / 2007 S550
1,354 Posts
After all dust that's collected while doing this interior work, I figured it was time to get everything nice and clean :)

Just went through a touch-less car wash; still need to get a proper detail

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,094 Posts

dropped her off to get the new rebuild fuel dist and injectors placed to get the car back to proper performance

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
Hadn't driven the SE for a couple of weeks. Its been sat in a puddle in stormy wet weather but roared into life as normal as if it had just been driven.
So smooth, these cars are seriously relaxing aren't they. I turned the stereo off so I could hear it going about its business. Washed it and used this new thing we've got called 'Coat-It' by Autoglym. I think Meguairs have a similar product. I'm liking it, it's very shiny. Meant to mimic ceramic coating I think.

The other picture is of my SEC which is coming on slowly but surely. I visited it. The rear ledge is being reconstructed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
90 Posts
Changed the brake control rods balls or whatever whomever at the moment wants to call them. (Edit: guide rod mounts)

On this time capsule of a car, where just about everything looks pristine, the boots were broken and ugly. Still fairly stiff though, the rods didn't flop around and had no in and out play.

But they still made a noticeable difference in the way the car drives. I will find the writeup on the job and add my comments.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
8,930 Posts
Finally got to the point in the water pump job to light her off and check for leaks WOO HOO. SLS pump overhaul with new feed line from the tank, no leaks, flushed with new hydro oil. PS pump cleaned up and no leaks, refilled with new filter. Minor seepage from the smaller lower hose to fill tank on the fender, snugged the clamp a bit more. Ran her up to operating temperature while watching. Tomorrow I'll install the fan and shroud and charge the A/C, new compressor and dryer. Here's some pics over the last few days of putting her back together. The vacuum pulled held for 24 hours before I took the hoses off and I replaced both L and R sleeves for the transmission lines, rubber was gone from one.

Oh, while I think about it, to help anyone else that has to do this, the balancer does have to come off along with the lower pulleys. The 6 bolts have one off center. on reassembly first I slathered a little neverseize on the hub lip and the center holes of the balancer and pulley set. Laid the balancer on the pulley, lined the holes up, and marked where TDC was from the balancer. I had a spare exhaust stud in my tool box and screwed it into the hub as a guide (threads were the same but be sure and check yours), slid the balancer on and seated it with a tap or two from my rubber hammer then put the pulley in place and bolted it down. I chose NOT to pull the hub due to the enormous torque required and my front seal isn't leaking anyway
20191013_193701_HDR.jpg
20191009_154028_HDR.jpg 20191010_191401.jpg
20191010_191703_HDR.jpg 20191013_175122_HDR.jpg 20191011_205540_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
Well, for the most part I'm done with the water pump job, got the fan installed and fired her up. No leaks anywhere, topped off the transmission, lost about a pint or so while the radiator was out. Engine temp was right at the normal reading right at 80 degrees.

Scratch that -> I fingered out what the problem is and I can fiss it. The compressor wire got caught under the bolt that holds the SLS feed hose bracket. It's hard to see back in there and I hope the fuse did it's job protecting everything else. >Now I have a different problem (this was going along way too easy), while I had her running I checked the heater operation, was blowing good though not roasting hot (normal for this car, thermometer in the center vent was reading 100 or so). Now I switch to the A/C and run the dial down to cold and start filling, filling . . . . . no compressor kick yet. I checked inside and noticed the blower had stopped running. I checked the flat fuse, good. Found #5 fuse blown, replaced and checked again, again no blower and fuse blown again. I unhooked the wire to the new compressor, #5 blew again.

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,033 Posts
Wait, I'm confused: do you still have a problem with fuse #5 or have you edited the post to show the solution before the description of the problem?

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
Wait, I'm confused: do you still have a problem with fuse #5 or have you edited the post to show the solution before the description of the problem?
Sorry for the confusion :) the fuse problem has been fixed and I've got the blower back running. HOWEVER another issue has come up, the compressor now runs and won't shut off :oops: Climate Control off (far right button) it still runs, low pressure switch unplugged, still running (clutch IS engaged and spinning and bubbles in the sight glass. Possibly (?) an issue with solder joints in the dash control ? How difficult is it to open the CCU, soldering I can do (US Army spent $25K teaching me electronic stuff when I was enlisted as a radio repair tech). I haven't pulled it yet so I don't have the p/n for the unit (or if someone out there in BW Land has a spare for a 91 560SEC)

·
Registered
1985 300 TD 1981 300 SD
328 Posts
Got around to adjusting the valve lash today on the 81, so now I'm down to an oil change and bolting on the winter tires before the snow flies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replaced all 6 fuel injectors and injector seals....fixed the vacuum leak and now idles and runs as smooth as silk...well worth the time and expense. Try this before delving into k-jetronic unit. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
85 500SEC (Euro), 87 560SEC (now sold)
1,089 Posts
Last week I brought the 500 SEC for an alignment, but it seems front passenger side idler arm bushing is week so I will need to deal with that. Rotated all four wheels.

While the SEC was being detailed at the local Toyota dealership (they have the best guys in town) multiple people inquired about purchasing the car. That always happens.

On the way home I was pulled over by a local Sheriff depute. This happens a lot. They type in my custom plate using an O and not a 0 (zero). It comes up invalid and so they pull me over. I'll have to get rid of this plate when it comes up for renewal because it's beyond annoying and even dangerous.

On Friday I drove the SEC 2.25 hours to Raleigh to look at some cars to replace my aging Chevy Malibu (the driver's seat has completely collapsed, etc. etc.) and spent most of the time talking to people who wanted to ask about my ride. Met a fellow 2 door coupe owner for coffee. After the drive I calculated my mileage at 16.15, which is really quite good.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,882 Posts
Been working on a w123 the last few days. Throwing down some serious Magic.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
1,882 Posts
Good eye @ianrandom . Yes it is a Porsche 928, belongs to BW member CC and he asked me to prepare the car for market. It is a very nice car, 85-86 era with the factory larger engine, 5sp manual and beautiful interior. Very exciting car to drive. Slow&Rusty has a couple similar cars as well. An abundance of torque to say the least.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,432 Posts
I got a replacement parking pole since my little hit and run thing took out the last one. It's for an older MB so I had to swap brackets, proper pimping again now haha.

Also a grille badge that I love. It says Monaco Car Club on it. I like the colours against the kind of monochromatic Merc.

Then I drove it, and it was delicious. Everything about it, so smooth. I seem to have given up the stereo so I can listen to the smoothness instead. Aren't we lucky.

IMAG0755.jpg
IMAG0766.jpg
IMAG0756.jpg

·
Registered
1991 420 SEL
90 Posts
That parking pole is awesome!

After spending way more on fuses than I thought possible, I finally got what I needed to swap them all out. I cleaned all the box contacts to new metal, and treated all contact points on both pieces with CRC electrical lubricant.

Still have to do the relays.

But, oh noes! A grinding-ish sound from under the hood in gear or not. I think something happened to one of the timing guides. Dang it, it was on the list, but not right now!

Pete

10461 - 10480 of 10514 Posts