Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

10401 - 10417 of 10417 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
Drove the SEC 1,500 miles from SF Bay Area to Cedar City, UT and back via highways 108 (Sonora Pass) and 120 in CA and 6, 95, 375 (The Extraterrestrial Highway!) in NV. Checked out the little towns of Bridgeport, Tonopah, Rachel, Caliente and Panaca. I have a new favorite route through NV. Man, those long, open roads that seem to exist for me only are absolutely intoxicating. Miles of visibility, almost no other cars, the competent, solid feel of the SEC, and high speed. Didn't want the trip to end.

·
SuperModerator
13,202 Posts
I bunged an awful used £10 active sub into the boot of the SE. (Trunk for US peoples?)

Already had run switched power to the boot for whatever so it was easy.
Well, I wish I'd tried this before. Transformed the sound. Off I go to buy an Infinity Bass Link now or equivalent. Spotted one that has great reviews.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
I finally decided to put my wood/leather steering wheel in my car.

I was a bit hesitant due to its size. The wood/leather is a 40 cm diameter sedan steering wheel. The coupe's is slightly smaller at 39 cm.

I'll give it a try to see if I like it.

·
Premium Member
4,052 Posts
where did you get that one? Is it off a w220 and did you keep the air bag function operational
It's from a Turkish eBay vendor. It's a W126/W124 core (with the correct contact rings) that they modify locally.

The airbag is fully functional (I hope, haven't tested it...).

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
Greetings all, I know it's been a while since being here. I've been working on the boat up til early June (it's just too frickin' HOT outside right now to do much on anything, 110 in the garage yesterday doing oil changes). I was out piddling with the Benz last week and heard a noise :confused: I didn't like, the aqua pump, was told that since I recently replaced the fan clutch it might be straining the pump a little and likely on the way out, SO instead of being out on an upcoming road trip and it give out . . . , new pump and connector hose as well as upper and lower sitting my bench. I searched in the DIY and found where mclare did his (a while back, Thanks Mike) and gave me a short list of some other items to get as well, sensors and the other lower hose (to the fender tank) will be ordered in a few minutes. I saw on his thread why the distributor and harmonic balancer need to be pulled (this AIN'T your Daddy's Chevy lol :sneaky:) I also figured "while I'm in there" to swap out the SLS pump hoses and maybe even pull that pump for a reseal (seeping a little bit). If anyone has any other things they can think of to address let me know

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Drove the SEC 1,500 miles from SF Bay Area to Cedar City, UT and back via highways 108 (Sonora Pass) and 120 in CA and 6, 95, 375 (The Extraterrestrial Highway!) in NV. Checked out the little towns of Bridgeport, Tonopah, Rachel, Caliente and Panaca. I have a new favorite route through NV. Man, those long, open roads that seem to exist for me only are absolutely intoxicating. Miles of visibility, almost no other cars, the competent, solid feel of the SEC, and high speed. Didn't want the trip to end.
You can see for miles because you are driving on the Great Basin. Think "tilted plane".

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
That's right! I saw a sign for that but didn't put two and two together. Very cool.
In 1995, I drove a new Honda Accord from Phoenix and drove through all of Nevada, south to north. I had it up to (according to speedo) 113 MPH. That was flat out. There was plenty of time to slow down when I saw an upcoming (cop?) car.

BTW, the Accord was convulsing at 113.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
In 1995, I drove a new Honda Accord from Phoenix and drove through all of Nevada, south to north. I had it up to (according to speedo) 113 MPH. That was flat out. There was plenty of time to slow down when I saw an upcoming (cop?) car.

BTW, the Accord was convulsing at 113.
Convulsing, haha! I've looked at some of the south-north roads on Google Maps. Desolate!

Yes, if you want to go fast, NV appears to be a fairly safe place to do it. I can't give any names but someone hit 134 out there and it was effortless. As you say, plenty of time to slow down, no trees, no curbs, no fences, no ditches. It's perfect for high-speed cruising.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Convulsing, haha! I've looked at some of the south-north roads on Google Maps. Desolate!

Yes, if you want to go fast, NV appears to be a fairly safe place to do it. I can't give any names but someone hit 134 out there and it was effortless. As you say, plenty of time to slow down, no trees, no curbs, no fences, no ditches. It's perfect for high-speed cruising.
Driving south to north, the earth is slightly tilted up in front of you. That makes it easy to see farther than when flat.

The state partrol does use aircraft to partrol for speed. I have heard they can lower a megaphone from the airplane to your car to tell you to pull over and wait for a cruiser to come to you.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,935 Posts
Driving south to north, the earth is slightly tilted up in front of you. That makes it easy to see farther than when flat.

The state partrol does use aircraft to partrol for speed. I have heard they can lower a megaphone from the airplane to your car to tell you to pull over and wait for a cruiser to come to you.
Okay, that is terrible news.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Well another adds and ends day today along with finding out I can still do stupid things. First the stupid. When I put on the new euro front bumper I removed the headlights and the little valence panels. Well for some reason the headlights would not work after I put it back together. So yeaterday I started to tackle the project. I took apart the backs of the lights, took out the side markers and such. Well the first thing I found was the main plug on the drivers side headlight had come loose. Well that took care of the high beams but no low beams. WTF.... so my tester and I spent the next two hours tracing wiring down. This is no easy task since I had installed two separate relays from the battery just to get more voltage to the lights. (Daniel Sterns how to) well could not find the issue. Last night I researched the wiring diagrams and basically was centering on the light switch. Just then a light bulb goes off in my brain in that I installed in line fuses for each relay to provide extra protection. Check the low beam one and sure enough that was it. Now onto the other stuff.

Since I already had the front light valences off I decided to put on the onew with the wiper delete. We will see how I like that over time. I have the wiper delete valences, a euro wiper one and an American set now. Also the wiper brackets and wipers for each type. A yard sale soon!

Second, I put on a new cable for the hood release. The old one was getting tight and I did not want that to break and not be able to get the hood open. It was a relatively easy thing to do except the boot by the firewall. I left that til tomorrow since its so fiddley.

Tomorrow is steering sector day. I have help and a friend is going to let me use his ramps, and he has both the centering pin, and the pitman arm puller. He also has experience and told me its only a two hour job. Ya, we all know how those go. Once that is done I get it aligned and that should take care of the whole front end.

Besides a rear bumper spoiler I believe that is it..........

·
Registered
679 Posts
I bunged an awful used £10 active sub into the boot of the SE. (Trunk for US peoples?)

Already had run switched power to the boot for whatever so it was easy.
Well, I wish I'd tried this before. Transformed the sound. Off I go to buy an Infinity Bass Link now or equivalent. Spotted one that has great reviews.
I've got an Infinity BassLink, and I like it a lot. It's pretty efficient, and the sound quality is better than a lot of powered subs because it has a passive radiator instead of a port. There are options significantly better in terms of either size, price, or sound quality, but the BassLink is a great compromise between all three.

Anyway, I had to replace my other fuel pump a week or so ago. I replaced one I thought was leaking a couple years ago, but wasn't quite positive that was it since another leak sprung up shortly after. So, after verifying it was definitely the pump and not something loose, I swapped the old one back in out of curiosity. It leaked even worse, and I couldn't get the car to run, telling me it probably froze up after sitting on the shelf. Moral of the story, if you've got one fuel pump that starts leaking, replacing both might be worthwhile in the long run.

As for today, I dropped the exhaust, pulled the driveshaft, and replaced the flex disks, center support bearing, and carrier. When I dropped the exhaust, I discovered several holes rusted in the top of one of the pipes going into the "kidneys." I wasn't too surprised to find a hole – it's been noisier for a while than it should be for a bone stock exhaust – but it surprised me it wasn't louder given how big the holes were. I patched it by cutting a section from some 2" pipe, spreading it a little, and then welded it on while using a C-clamp to hold it tight. It seemed to come out pretty well, although I finished up late and didn't bother to fire it up. I hadn't used my little MIG in an age, but fortunately it worked great and I was able to get a decent enough weld (for some reason I felt compelled to take a flap wheel to it; kind of a waste since you'd never see it). The flex disks went well enough, but the U-joint has seen better days. It has a noticeable detent on center. It probably has some life in it, but I'll have to figure something out at some point. Too bad you can't just press it out and replace it with another one for $15 like my truck.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
This weekend was steering gear time. With the help of a friend it took only about 2.5 hours. Luckily he had the centering tool, the large socket and muscles. Best of all he had new hydraulic ramps which lifted the car about 24”. Snap crackle popand it was back in. I have all new front components now. On Friday its off the MB for alignment. I asked if they had someone old enough to do it and they laughed so I hope that means yes. They also said they would check it over so lets see what that means $$$$$.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
ordered injectors, air hoses, fuel filter for sel, waiting for the fuel dist to come back

received my new foglight lense for sec fog, just need to install

10401 - 10417 of 10417 Posts
About this Discussion
10.4K Replies
414 Participants
vdubpower
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing