Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 10415 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If this is duplicated, please let me know. I searched for a similar (what did you do to your 123.....) thread here, but did not find one, so I will start off:

The dash in my 300SD was so bad (even the Coverlay dash cap was cracked!), I decided to replace it with one I got a while back. I am replacing the broken console as well.
The good and bad:

The car waiting for the new dash:

The hardest part of the whole job is removing (or remembering to) the two vent cables. Also, I need to make sure all the vents line up before bolting everything down!
I will have a photo of the finished product later....Rich

·
SuperModerator
13,195 Posts
This is good, but there is another very similar running, may be worth a look. What have you done to your 126 this weekend, I think its called.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Affectionately patted its hindquarters.

Mine sits in wait until I find the time to tackle timing chain replacement.

Other than that I packed and shipped a pair of damaged euro headlights as a return to a guy off the swamp. Lovely experience...he threatened me with legal action and also threatened not to refund me, despite the fact that the case I opened against him has already been ruled in my favor.

I tell you...some 126 owners get all the luck :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
So, is it okay to keep posting in this one.. or? I guess me asking this question is already a post, so I'll just keep going. :p

I patted it affectionately on the trunk today before walking into the house. I feel so bad for it, as it's pretty much just been sitting on the street collecting dust. I occasionally start it up and take it for a short drive to get the electrical juices flowing so it doesn't just die on the street.

But, other than that, I finally sat down and formulated a game plan along with a more in depth research into the parts and cost of what I need to do for it.

I, not personally (through someone else), had a mechanic do a diagnostic on the car. My head gasket has a colossal oil leak, driveshaft flanges(?)* are cracked, check engine light threw codes 11, 17, and 18. And, I've known about the smog air pump slowly going bad for some time now.

I did some research on the codes, and 11 and 18 seems to be related to air. I'm guessing it's related to the smog air pump going bad? If I'm wrong in any of this please chime in and correct me!

Codes 11, 17, and 18
11. Air Injection System;
17. O2-sensor line shorted positive to ground
18. Current to idle speed air valve is implausible

So the game plan is to do these probably in this order:

1. Head gasket
2. Driveshaft flanges(?)*
3. Disconnect smog Air pump
4. Find the O2 Sensor line.

On the invoice/ service sheet. There's an entry that says "Driveshaft flange cracked." I did a search and could not find anything about a driveshaft flange. Perhaps the mechanic was talking about the flex discs? If those are cracked, it does worry me, and it'll become one of the top priorities for me to fix. If anyone can confirm or correct me on this, please do! :thumbsup:

But, yeah, that's what I did to/ for my Benz today. Patting, researching and game-planning. :cool:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Figuring out how to remove the fuel line hose underneath the gas tank. There is not much room to turn the wrench. Its for the 560sec.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Finally re-install my H&R spring after putting on old skol AMG OZ 3 piece rims. Looks way much better but had to find time to get the rear fender lip rolled. Now contemplating to change the front spring pads from 4 to 2 nub but worried about the undercarriage.

Attachments

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wife and I putted around town looking at yard sales. Followed a yard sale sign to one house, sale was lackluster, but across the street was a nice, shiny black SEC with a big, wide, euro-style license plate on the front...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Technically I did three different things.

1. Drove to breakfast and this happened:

2. Drove to the M-B Dealer and got the required signature for the M-B 500,000km high mileage award badge.

3. Pull the cruise control module BACK out and replaced the big fat caps as a precaution since I had the right sizes in my lab.

Diesel Purge is next on my long list.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Technically I did three different things.

1. Drove to breakfast and this happened:

2. Drove to the M-B Dealer and got the required signature for the M-B 500,000km high mileage award badge.

3. Pull the cruise control module BACK out and replaced the big fat caps as a precaution since I had the right sizes in my lab.

Diesel Purge is next on my long list.
You should fill your profile out so we know what model and year of car you have! Congratulations on your high mileage badge.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Dallied around with the trip computer cluster again only this time I was nice and cool working in an air conditioned garage. I cut the odometer face plate to except the digital clock transfer from the old TC odometer since I wanted to retain my original one in the 560.

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the dash finished today!

I finished installing the dash and center console today:

I got the dash at a wrecking yard for only $24.95. I think I paid $14.99 for the console. It looks SOOOOOOOOOOO much better!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also changed out the vacuum shutoff. It appeared to be leaking engine oil out of the ignition switch, and into the area between the knee bolster and the tunnel carpet. The old:

The shiny new one:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I addressed my ANTILOCK (ABS) light in my 300SD today. You can see the light was illuminated in my above post.

The previous owner is a good friend of mine (he had it since March and only put about 2,000mi on it) and he had checked both of the front sensors and they checked out so he thought it was the back but had never gotten around to that job.

Well I jacked up the Benz and the damn wire was completely cut. Just not even connected.

So I pull the sensor, cleaned it, chopped the remaining wire back and had to use an exacto knife to delve into the sensor plastic housing a bit to expose enough of the old wire (it had broken flush with the sensor) to solder more wire onto it. I then cleaned up the other wire and put some nice connectors on.

Also while I was under there I got to check out the condition of the rear end of the thing.

For 312k miles it doesn't look bad. Those boots have definitely been replaced and it looks like the rear end was done within the past couple of years.

The original owner definitely treated this thing like it was a luxury vehicle.

Antilock light is no more.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Nipple replacement

Technically I replaced my radiator today after the nipple for the overflow broke. Actually a lot easier than I thought thanks to all the sage advice on this forum. New Behr for $322. Considered a Nissen but felt safer with the Behr.

1 - 20 of 10415 Posts
About this Discussion
10.4K Replies
414 Participants
MT_Merc
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing