Will be getting a few more pics in when finished, but am doing some comfort upgrades atm. Heat and noise insulation. And installing an aftermarket aircon. Pretty chuffed with how this is going, no major headaches so far, which is not always the case.
The big ol' generator. Thing weighs a metric ton and takes up a massive amount of real estate in the engine bay.
That big empty void is where the generator sat. In the bottom right you can see the new alternator.
Now the compressor is in the spot where the generator sat.
Condensor is up next, sadly the one I got via the mail is a bit beaten up, I think it still works, and still airtight but lets see what the supplier thinks. Will just mount it in front of the radiator and forego the electric fan that came with it, I guess the radiator fan will pull enough air for both the radiator and condensor.
Can't wait to finish this job, it is too hot and humid here to drive without an aircon.
Managed to get an NOS air dryer at bargain price of $99. It is similar to the Bendix AD-IP.
In order for it to work autonomously I had to get a different unloader that has the required control output port (23). Fortunately, I was able to get a replacement free of charge - all I had to do was salvage the non-return valve from the older valve and install it into the replacement. No drama and it all works very well. Best $99 I have spent in a long time
Alternator clean up. There was a 16 gauge black wire that
was coming out from the back of the alternator and was
Haphazardly routed up to and through the firewall. It was on the ‘wrong side’ of everything….
Probably for the ammeter, I figured.
Because of my experience with the twisted wire connections wrapped with electrical tape, discovered during the archeological dig on the passenger side of the engine bay, I now unwrap any electrical tape I find.
This wire had three small tape wraps over its length from the alternator to the firewall. Each one hid a twisted wire
Connection. They were small and tight, and they had held
up, so there was some skill there, but they all
pulled apart without very much pressure.
They obviously did not have much wire to work with,
if they had to piece that short run together out of four pieces.
I originally thought that the gauge was added to the top of the dash by the German Railroad, as I have seen the same Ammeter, in the same spot, on other UNIMOGs in Germany.
This wiring points to Spain, however. The hole in the top of
the dash for the wiring looked more like a bullet hole, with
rusty, torn edges, than a drilled hole…. And no grommet either. That is all fixed.
The Alternator had a rebuilt/ exchange sticker from Spain
as well, so that is another clue. The same sticker, but with
‘Germany’ on it, appears on rebuilt alternators in Germany.
Cleaned up the Aluminum intake duct for the Turbo.
I’m searching for a replacement fan for the alternator, either plastic, as the original, or maybe a steel one.
I’ve found rebuild parts for this unit, all except for the fan.
Summit has one that measures up, and is a Bosch
Piece, but no photo, so I can’t tell if it has a keyway or
not. I’ll call…
Speaking of Keys…. When I pulled the pulley, this thing
did not have a key in it. The keys might have been coming with the spools of wire in the next order or something.
I’ve never had a charging problem, so lucky with that. How the pulley did not just spin on the shaft, I don’t know.
I’m glad that I’m finding these things now, rather than out in the Boonies.
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!