Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my coolant level this morning and noticed the coolant was blue in color much like my bmw. However I read online that MB antifreeze is supposed to be orange in color. I bought the car CPO last month from a MB dealer why would they CPO a car with unapproved coolant?

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,116 Posts
Most MB antifreeze you see will be yellow, not orange.

But, MB does sometimes install blue stuff at the factory.

In any event, W211 antifreeze is good for 15 years.

·
Registered
Supra Turbo, Maxima 6Spd, E500
65 Posts
Most MB antifreeze you see will be yellow, not orange.

But, MB does sometimes install blue stuff at the factory.

In any event, W211 antifreeze is good for 15 years.
I find that amazing, and yes, I've seen this in the maint. book (IIRC, it has some astronomical life like 15 yrs).

BUT, how can that be?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think i may b a little low on coolant i was reading the manual and i dont think the cold coolant is at the right level if i alrdy have the blue coolant in there can I add yellow coolant or do I need blue coolant?

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
The coolant is in fact blue/dark green, the coolant must remain in the cooling system for the specified interval. There is a silica pack in the coolant tank that maintains proper additive levels for the life of the coolant. MB uses "HOAT" coolants and have absolutely nothing in common with the "change the coolant every year" types (IAT/OAT) that went away with the Jurasic period of automotive technology :D

I strongly suggest NOT opening the system or adding anything to the system. If your engine tells you that the coolant level is low then add ONLY distilled water and always consult the owners manual.

Coolant changes are peformed every 140,000 miles and not any sooner. When the coolant is new it reacts with the engines metals forming a protective layer and achieving a balance in Ph. Adding coolant or changing it early throws off the balance and can cause increased corrosion due to the change in initial Ph of new coolant.

Glysantin G-05 spec sheet
http://www.univar.co.uk/downloads/Glysantin_G05_TDS1.pdf

DB

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I trust your judgement being that your a senior member around here and I'm a newb to MB (i was a BMW guy.) But you're saying I shouldnt open the coolant cap every 2 weeks to check the coolant level? What if I go on a roadtrip and halfway there I'm low on coolant and have no access to distilled water

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
I trust your judgement being that your a senior member around here and I'm a newb to MB (i was a BMW guy.) But you're saying I shouldnt open the coolant cap every 2 weeks to check the coolant level? What if I go on a roadtrip and halfway there I'm low on coolant and have no access to distilled water
Think about this, no leaks, no coolant light life is good.

The cooling system is sealed in other words it's not like the old Chevy you grew up with that required the water to be checked.

If the coolant drops below a "Predetermined Level" another way of saying you don't need to know any more than that, then the coolant light will trigger a warning.

If you have a leak while driving down the road and that light goes off, you blew a hose or water pump and no amount of water is going to cure it. Bottom line is if that light goes off you have 20-30 seconds to shut that motor off or you risk destroying the engine.

Again the point in all this is the light indicates when the system has lost coolant by way of a leak, in either case you are more than likely going to need a tow.

My experience with these systems is that the coolant level will not change for the life of the coolant. When it comes time to change the coolant, you should also replace the water pump at the same time (minimize the fluctuations in coolant additive levels).

There is a reason why the coolant tank is black and there is no indication for coolant level...it's another way of saying don't mess with it.

I would suggest checking tire pressure rather than the cooling system before any road trip, that right there presents the biggest risk to your safety and fuel economy above all else on these cars.

DB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts