Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering re-painting my G using an exclusive paint from Standox or Mobihel (463 G400CDI, currently it is Obsydian Black).

I am tempted by "green ocean" from Mobihel, a color which looks green or blue, in different shades, depending of the angle of view and the light (it is imposible to put it on a picture on the computer).

I have a doubt because I don't know how the new color will fit the G design.

I am wondering what color/colors best fit G design?

Christian

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
christian_g - 5/13/2005 7:42 AM

I am considering re-painting my G using an exclusive paint from Standox or Mobihel (463 G400CDI, currently it is Obsydian Black).

I am wondering what color/colors best fit G design?

Christian
I have Obsidian Black and like it. I'm sure you'll get almost as many different suggestions as responders.

Why the repaint? If it's a G400CDI, it still has to be pretty new.

·
Registered
G320,G-Cabrio,Brabus G300GE
781 Posts
In my opinion, white or metallic silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 MB G500 Black
1,175 Posts
If you go off-road, then get white (hides scratches the best but hard to keep clean) or silver. If not, then black always looks good on a G.

In general, silver is a good color for most cars.

·
Registered
1984 280GE Cabrio
255 Posts
We own one of the most unique vehicles in the world but most people own black or silver. Go figure!
A friend of mine bought a G500. Jokingly I asked,black or silver? Black he replied.
JMO, but be adventurous.

·
Registered
1987 300GD, 1987 300TD, 1991 300TE, 1992 300TE 4M, 1968 Citroen AK250, 1991 VW Syncro Camper
494 Posts
It pretty clear that the color you need is 6834 Moosgreen Metalic!

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
christian_g - 5/13/2005 7:42 AM
....I am wondering what color/colors best fit G design?....
The thing you have to be careful of with the G is that whatever color you choose, there's a LOT of it. I think that's part of why a lot of people like black, for the same reason that black is "slimming" in clothing, I think somehow a G in black looks like less of a big brick.

Silver has always been Mercedes racing colors (have to throw in my off topic plug here Thanks Mika for the F1 win last week!) I always think a mercedes looks good in metalic silver and the G's no exception.

I don't envy your task. Back when our friend Q was trying to decide what color to paint G-zilla, we had color discussions 3 or 4 different times, complete with Photoshop templates to get an idea of what it looked like in real life. We never did come up with anything that said, THAT'S IT!!! -so it stayed rattle-can black till the day he sold it.

Good luck!

-Dave G.

PS - Mine is a custom job by the original Saudi Arabian owner back in '81 that has carried through the two subsequent significant owners (Erwin and I). I like the uniqueness of the 2-tone, the practicality of the silver roof (reflect sun's heat), and the break-up that two colors offer (similar to black effect mentioned earlier). I wouldn't change it, but it's sure not for everyone.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Well, there is no real "best" colour, because everyone has his own taste. I've seen lots of G's and of course, those who catched my eye, had a special painting, because these are rare.
Cool is the colour from the Model 2000, changes between black and purple, some days ago I saw a Tectite metallic ( kind of grey ), normally it is not a real eye catcher, but this one had a 2 colour leather and interior ( black and light brown leather ), and in THIS combination it was ultra good ( Designo Fitted ). For normal life I prefer a colour which doesn't make me mad when no car wash is in my area ...[;)]

·
Registered
67 300 SEL, 85 500 SEL, 90 420 SEL
170 Posts
Hi,

Midnight Blue (904)
Obsidian Black (197)
Black (040)

I think these colors look the best on a G-Wagen.

For me, white is the WORST by far. It looks like
a big refrigerator on wheels. Horrible. [xx(]

Best regards

Hans

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
67SEL - 5/13/2005 3:20 PM

And the black makes it look like a big safe on wheels. [:D]

·
Registered
67 300 SEL, 85 500 SEL, 90 420 SEL
170 Posts
DUTCH - 5/13/2005 3:40 PM

67SEL - 5/13/2005 3:20 PM

And the black makes it look like a big safe on wheels. [:D]
Excellent comparison. I prefer to be in a big safe
instead of a big refrigerator when I'm on the road.

Hans
2000 Saab 9.5 Aero (black of course) daily driver[:)]

·
Registered
G400 CDI 10/2003
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like Obsidian Black. It is a matter of everybody's taste, but if it were only taste why will we need designers? At the same time, I am wondering who designed that white refrigerator on wheels? [:)]

The only thing is that it looks clean only the next day after washing it. Also the exclusive colors from Standox look great and I want to improve the look of the car.

Thanks for the tip Frode! I was worried what a scratch means on this king of paints. I will think again.

Christian

·
Registered
1980 300GD LWB
29 Posts
christian_g - 5/14/2005 4:03 AM

Thanks for the tip Frode! I was worried what a scratch means on this king of paints. I will think again.

Christian
Here in Norway the paint of my car costs approx. ten times more then regular paint. This winter a guy made some damage on a door. The repair was estimated to ~2500 US$ or 2000 euros. Around half of it was for the paint. It's only available in 1 litre boxes, so for a small scratch your workshop has to buy a whole box. Guess who's got to pay for it!

Frode

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Black Opal or Tectite Grey

I would keep the color close to what you have as well. It makes it easier to match the engine compartment and door jams.

Chuck

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Keeping it the stock or the original color makes the most sense to me. It makes a color match at a shop easy if there is some damage in the future and also retains the highest resale value. My truck is a grey anthricite that happens to be an exact paint code match to my wife's TD. Very convenient. Those codes are a worldwide system so if you change the paint choose an MB code so an exact match can be made. When I had the windshield area painted on my truck the shop I used dropped a paint chip sample on the truck and it disapeared. An exact match. Try to use BASF or GlasUrit paint with a painter that has a booth that can be heated to the temperatures that will finish the catalyst process.

-Dai

1 - 20 of 28 Posts