Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The question is clear I believe. there is no air in the steering wheel and mechanic did not find any air in steering mechanism from the steering wheel itself to the front wheels. But sometimes (when the car vibrates due to the road condition) there is a clacking sound somewhere near the steering wheel and I am almost 100% sure that I can feel it (very slightly) on the steering wheel, but it can be heard clearly. what can it be?

·
10,293 Posts
The question is clear I believe. there is no air in the steering wheel and mechanic did not find any air in steering mechanism form the steering wheel itself to the front wheels. But sometimes (when the car vibrates due to the road condition) there is a clacking sound somewhere near the steering wheel and I am almost 100% sure that I can feel it (very slightly) on the steering wheel, but it can be heard clearly. what can it be?
the slip ring on your steering wheel...

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the slip ring on your steering wheel...
You mean nr. 41 from the attached picture? If yes, do you have your own experiences with it = is it necessary to just tighten some screws or should I replace it completely (the mechanic said he has tightened 4 screws under the air bag so I assume that's it, but the clacking goes on).

Attachments

·
10,293 Posts
You mean nr. 41 from the attached picture? If yes, do you have your own experiences with it = is it necessary to just tighten some screws or should I replace it completely (the mechanic said he has tightened 4 screws under the air bag so I assume that's it, but the clacking goes on).
maybe yes, maybe no...

take the steering wheel off, and look what is making the nise, it could be 41, 77, or 86

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Today I was forced to replace cluster illumination bulb and of course cluster had to go out. I checked the screws behind it and found out that all three 13 mm (head) screws were loosed (these screws are for fixing the part of metal which serves for tilting the steering wheel up and down). I hope that's what the culprit was.

But here is a new funny thing ... before the bulb died I made several kilometers and there was another new sound from the steering wheel or near it: like when somebody hits with a finger a light ribbon spring which is mounted in the wall and then the spring makes several moves up and down and "sings" during these movements (trrrrrrrrrr). I think that this phenomenon disappears after some time. It is not a consequence of bulb replacement (and corresponding acts) because it appeared earlier.

What might it be? Do I have a singing car?:surrender:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts