Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the wagon had it's rear suspension sorted (very nice), it's front shocks are OK for now, and the steering box was adjusted...

However, even after the adjustment, steering is a bit sensitive at the points where the car just starts to steer when turning the wheel (i.e. a little initial input at speed will make the car veer (not excessively) in the direction of input but a rather uncomfortable amount for my ham fisted dad--I just drive with a lighter steering touch now)...

So, I was wondering if a steering shock might have something to do with this. At minimum, I did a search, yet still need to know what exactly a steering shock can do for me, and what it was designed to do in general...

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just to note, I haven't checked the tire pressure yet, though it just came form the shop and they set it to factory specs.

Also, it's gone just three oil changes since its last alignment, so I'm not really sure if that's a cause... however, it might just be due for an alignment at the new shop where they now how to align a MB properly.

Other than the initial 'bite' when steering, everything else steering-wise is great now that they adjusted the steering box... (how much does one of those things cost anyway?)

·
Registered
'09 E350 4-matic sport, '83 240D 4-speed (sold), '77/'78 450SLC (junked), '81 500SLC (junked)
845 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the caster adjustment has a lot to do with steering stability during straight-ahead driving...

And the steering shock tends to dampen out sideways forces that might otherwise cause your front wheels to jerk sideways when you hit a bump at a certain angle.

·
Registered
EURO 280CE
1,689 Posts
the stuff i read about it say all it is a strong shock that protects the steering wheel from large pot holes and dips that might throw the driver off, its not for little stuff, ive also heard they arent too expensive, since they are out of spec very often.

i can tell you i had a HUGE problem with my 17in wheels and worn out shocks, my car would shake violently after the smallest bump for about 2-3 seconds(the most obvious signs were the front speakers shaking along with the steering wheel). now i have new gabriels and my alloys back on, but every bump my car still shakes just not earth shattering. i think its the $17 shocks doing there job
because when i first put them on my car was solid for 2-3 weeks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts