Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380SEL
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent some more time on my 1981 380SEL today, and traced by oil leak to the oil pressure sender ( hot pressure washed the engine, ran it for a while, and looked for evidence of leak).

Looking online there seem to be several, if not many, options for oil pressure sender brands at many price points.

Anyone have a solid recommendation for an oil pressure sender for a generation 1 W126 that is compatible with the gauge (rather than a light).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

-D

·
Registered
1982 380SEL
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes- that is an example of some of the variety available.

I notice that the VDO has a recessed area for the electrical connection - does this make installation any easier do to limited space at the base of the oil filter?

Hoping someone who has experience changing these can comment on which specific part/brand would be the better choice.

VDO really any better in this application that a less expensive brand?

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes-Benz CL500
665 Posts
Just going by the percentage of warranty exchanges (which we allow for 1 year from the purchase date), both of these have very low and almost the same warranty return rate. Based on that, we can't say one brand is any better than the other.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,017 Posts
I feel VDO is the best. Spend a little more up front and get quality and dependability. That's what I installed in my 1989 SEC.

Mike

·
Registered
2012 Mercedes-Benz CL500
665 Posts
We do sell more of the VDO than of FAE, so the general customer belief is that the VDO is worth the extra cost. But when I look at the warranty returns, which are returns within the 1st year if the part doesn't perform correctly, both brands are almost at a 0% return rate, so quality wise, at least for the first year, I would guess they are the same.

1981 Mercedes-Benz 380SEL Oil Pressure Switch

1 - 7 of 7 Posts