Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine are:

• Rebuild driver's seat (have all the parts)
  • Install radio antenna switch
  • Buy new tires
  • Send Becker radio to Becker for auxiliary input installation
  • Have small dent removed from driver's back corner
  • Change side vent lights to unfrosted bulbs
  • Flush transmission fluid/change filter
  • Repaint wiper motor filler panels (some rock chips on there now)

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,546 Posts
I've got two.

* Replace drivers door subwoofer.
It blew a while ago and i've just played my music at a lower volume. I got one at a dismantler a few days ago but just need to install it..

* Install used hazard switch. Mine doesn't work any more and I suspect it's the switch. Same trip to the dismantler did yeild a hazard switch. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to remove it without damaging the surround. I damaged two different cars at the pick and pull trying to figure out how to do it. Admittedly, the second time was just for practice.

It's also due for a major service, but I normally take it to the mechanic for servive so he can stamp my book and give it a once over.

·
Registered
1995 e320 wagon
165 Posts
Replace central muffler.
Get a new passenger fender, have it painted and put it on.
Find some cheap, preferably steel wheels with hubcaps to put snow tires on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1996 E300D
84 Posts
1. Swap rear sway bar for a slightly stiffer one from a 1994 E420 (front done last month).

2. Install "limo wood" in the lower console (shift quadrant area) and add 6 more switches and indicators:
a) Antenna switch.
b) Daytime running light.
c) Lock/unlock all doors. Use a rear power window switch and paint out the arrows. Switch pins are perfect for Central Locking.
d) Trunk release
e) Garage Door Opener switch
f) Indicator light, A/C compressor clutch engaged

3. Change oil/filter, brake fluid

4. Block heater cord for trip to snow country this winter

Jeremy

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is "limo wood" exactly?

And by "daytime running light" do you mean the city lights?

1. Swap rear sway bar for a slightly stiffer one from a 1994 E420 (front done last month).

2. Install "limo wood" in the lower console (shift quadrant area) and add 6 more switches and indicators:
a) Antenna switch.
b) Daytime running light.
c) Lock/unlock all doors. Use a rear power window switch and paint out the arrows. Switch pins are perfect for Central Locking.
d) Trunk release
e) Garage Door Opener switch
f) Indicator light, A/C compressor clutch engaged

3. Change oil/filter, brake fluid

4. Block heater cord for trip to snow country this winter

Jeremy

·
Registered
80 280SL, 85 300SD, 87 300TD, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 92 300TE 4Mat
1,469 Posts
Install passenger airbag retrofit on my 3 124s without one.

·
Registered
1991 300E 2.6, 1992 400E, 1995 E320 sedan (RIP), 2001 E55, 2009 SL550
139 Posts
400E
Replace cat and motor mounts same project.
Replace atf and at same time K1, K2 and, B2 springs in valve body.
Rebuild engine harnesses top and bottom.

300E
Replace worn MBtex drivers seat cover (find passenger seat in Palamino).
Replace EGR valve.
Pass Cali Smog test!!!

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes Benz 300E
1,336 Posts
1. Rebuild entire rear suspension
2. Replace front and rear flex discs
3. Inspect center bearing and replace if necessary
4. Recondition rear hubs (well scrub all rust off and paint with phosphoric acid paint)
5. Reseal rear differential (radial seals) and replace diff vent

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,952 Posts
1. Replace B-pillar trim
2. Re-glue A-pillar vinyl
3. Dynomat rear doors
4. Replace plastic grill insert
5. New fuel pumps and filter

·
Registered
1996 E300D
84 Posts
Answers

What is "limo wood" exactly?

And by "daytime running light" do you mean the city lights?
You saw the picture Zeitgeist posted. The limo wood has every possible switch position punched out. I suspect that Mercedes is getting ready to NLA this part as the price seems unusually low, a little over $200. By comparison, the much smaller piece for the upper console (CCU and row of switches) is over $300 depending on which version and how many holes, Zebrano or Burl, etc.

Limo wood allows six more full-size switches, seven if you count the second "child safety" switch position. That latter switch will be used to turn off Central Locking. I want to be able to unlock the driver's door and only it (or the trunk, or whatever) for security reasons.

By "daytime running lights" I mean turning on only the headlights (fog lights, if you prefer) and none of the rear lights, running lights, instrument lights, etc. I like to drive with my headlights on in the daytime, which is most of my driving, and would prefer to avoid excess wear on the bulbs and load on the electrical system. I believe Mercedes sold a version of this in Canada with a special headlight switch; since I don't have that I can use one of the 'limo wood' positions for a special switch. Haven't worked out the details yet. I'm sure that the lamp-out module will stick its nose in and make things difficult.

I've found that the fog lights make excellent daytime driving lamps if you use a clear bulb instead of amber. The fog lights have a very wide beam and show up better to the side than do headlights, which tend to point straight ahead. By using the fog lights in the daytime, wear on the headlights is reduced so you're less likely to lose a headlight at night when you want them. Finally, you can flash the high beams with the "light horn" to get someone's attention. Your car goes from two eyes to four eyes and the difference is more observable than low- to high-beams, IMO.

"City lights" are too dim, more for parking than driving.

Jeremy

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
E420

Fix sunroof deflector
Fix front headrests
New O2 sensor
Just did plugs and tires
Maybe remove window tint

E320 Cab

Possibly replace harness
Install cover behind tonneau cover lock

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
My 6 month plan for the $300te:

Finish rebuilding the donor engine and install (the "bad" noises aren't getting any quieter!)

Reseal trans, reverse clutches, k1, etc.... in conjunction with engine swap.

Replace sls accumulators-- later this week.

Replace tandem pump---later this week.

Update the stereo---next few weeks.

Install the foam block bolster (whatever its called) in the driver/pass seats.

Repair central locking system.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Would like to figure out a way to do a stealth garage door opener mod
Replace headliner
Re-cover B pillars
Buy snow tires
Get cruise working
Figure out way to install cup holders
Replace rear window lockout switch

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
You can swap out your rear view mirror for a new, auto-dimming one with an integrated garage door opener.
Thanks, I'll have to check that out! My idea was to hide it so that if someone were to break into the car or steal it and find our home, they would not know there even was a garage door opener. But the mirror seems like a very good backup plan!

·
Registered
E550W4
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, I'll have to check that out! My idea was to hide it so that if someone were to break into the car or steal it and find our home, they would not know there even was a garage door opener. But the mirror seems like a very good backup plan!
Ah for stealth mode simply hide your registration so nobody will know your address.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Ah for stealth mode simply hide your registration so nobody will know your address.
Oh yeah, I did that too. And honestly, I almost never park anywhere that I have to worry much about the car being broken into anyway, but for those rare occasions I'd still like to feel that at least our home is secure. Yeah, you can just call me Mr. Paranoid!

For now I am just using the remote fob key ring for the garage door and that's fine, but I'd rather not have to have that attached to my keys, especially in the event that I end up adding keyless entry. I definitely don't want two remote fobs hanging from my keys!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts