Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 429 Posts

·
Banned
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find the old thread.
So tell me, have you read or listened to any good books lately?

·
Banned
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's hard finding a good book.
I know there are plenty.
I want Fourcault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco.
I've read it and now want the audio version.
I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Shantaram was the last book that wowed me

Patrick O'Brien's 21 book Series is worth reading 5-6 times, that'll keep you occupied for a year or so

The Flashman Series as well as George MacDonald Fraser's other books are good for another 6 months

Charlie Wilson's War

A Dawn Like Thunder read simultaneously with Guadalcanal Diary (read this book July 25-21 then read that book at the same time frame and you will have an idea of both the land and sea engagements happening.)

These books are not so much "have you read them?" as much as "Have you had this experience yet?" as those have that have read these books are rabid fans after they read them, these ALL have IMPACT

·
Banned
23,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shantaram was the last book that wowed me

Patrick O'Brien's 21 book Series is worth reading 5-6 times, that'll keep you occupied for a year or so

The Flashman Series as well as George MacDonald Fraser's other books are good for another 6 months

Charlie Wilson's War

A Dawn Like Thunder read simultaneously with Guadalcanal Diary (read this book July 25-21 then read that book at the same time frame and you will have an idea of both the land and sea engagements happening.)

These books are not so much "have you read them?" as much as "Have you had this experience yet?" as those have that have read these books are rabid fans after they read them, these ALL have IMPACT
I downloaded the audiobook of Shantaram, it was very enjoyable.
I'm not sure I have the brain or memory capacity to read anything that's full of facts.
The Flashman series are about the level of my comprehension these days.
This is why I enjoyed Terry Pratchetts Discworld series.

I have a book on Vietnam titled 'Kill Anything That Moves.' by Nick Turse, it was shocking, everything was about daily head counts of dead Vietnamese.
Woman and children were all called Vietcong and no one cared.

'Dispatches', Michael Herr, is the only book about war that gripped me.
Michael Herr was a war correspondent in Vietnam, his articles from the fighting were the best I've ever read.
The last war where correspondents could move about freely, and attach to frontline units and firebases.
If you read a war book, read this.

Naomi Klein, the shock doctrine, is well thought out, I had to stop reading it, I was getting too angry. My blood pressure was going through the roof.

The Forgotten 500, about downed US airmen, rescued from Yugoslavia.
The biggest rescue of allied men from behind enemy lines ever, and it was kept top secret for decades.
The partisans were hero's.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
"the great deformation" by David Stockman...750+ pages so pack a lunch. I'm about 3/8 through it.

It will change your view of things and make some of you even more cynical. Though that is difficult to believe.

·
Always Remembered RIP
9,476 Posts
I think I'm going to re-read Steinbeck's Travels With Charlie.
I read it in 1966 and afterward built a camper in a bread truck and toured the east coast in it. Then I got drafted.
Last week, my wife and I bought a (used) Winnebago. By coincidence, we picked it up on Steinbeck's 112th birthday.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
I downloaded the audiobook of Shantaram, it was very enjoyable.
I'm not sure I have the brain or memory capacity to read anything that's full of facts.
The Flashman series are about the level of my comprehension these days.
This is why I enjoyed Terry Pratchetts Discworld series.

I have a book on Vietnam titled 'Kill Anything That Moves.' by Nick Turse, it was shocking, everything was about daily head counts of dead Vietnamese.
Woman and children were all called Vietcong and no one cared.

'Dispatches', Michael Herr, is the only book about war that gripped me.
Michael Herr was a war correspondent in Vietnam, his articles from the fighting were the best I've ever read.
The last war where correspondents could move about freely, and attach to frontline units and firebases.
If you read a war book, read this.

Naomi Klein, the shock doctrine, is well thought out, I had to stop reading it, I was getting too angry. My blood pressure was going through the roof.

The Forgotten 500, about downed US airmen, rescued from Yugoslavia.
The biggest rescue of allied men from behind enemy lines ever, and it was kept top secret for decades.
The partisans were hero's.
Disley, you might like "His Dark Materials"
a trilogy of fantasy novels, coming together to form an epic, by Philip Pullman comprising Northern Lights (1995, published as The Golden Compass in North America), The Subtle Knife (1997), and The Amber Spyglass (2000). It follows the coming-of-age of two children, Lyra Belacqua and Will Parry, as they wander through a series of parallel universes against a backdrop of epic events. The three novels have won various awards, most notably the 2001 Whitbread Book of the Year prize, won by The Amber Spyglass. Northern Lights won the Carnegie Medal for children's fiction in the UK in 1995. The trilogy as a whole took third place in the BBC's Big Read poll in 2003.

The story involves fantasy elements such as witches and armoured polar bears, and alludes to a broad range of ideas from such fields as physics, philosophy, and theology. The trilogy functions in part as a retelling and inversion of John Milton's epic Paradise Lost;[1] with Pullman commending humanity for what Milton saw as its most tragic failing.[2] The series has drawn criticism for its negative portrayal of Christianity and religion in general.[3]

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
The bit where O'Reilly goes on Jon Stewart's show to pitch one of those books is pretty funny. Hard to imagine someone I'd want to support any less...except perhaps, Cheney

1 - 20 of 429 Posts
About this Discussion
428 Replies
51 Participants
Teutone
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing