Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know? These are at the back right of the computer compartment and to the back right of the aluminum computer box. The black unit, not as visible, behind the black and white thing has two or three wire cables coming out of the bottom. Early this year after I took the car out of winter storage I had huge volumes of raw gas smoke blowing out of the exhaust and it was eventually fixed when I found that a mouse had chewed through some of those wires coming out of that black unit and I separated those bare wires and cleaned out a large mouse nest. Now I am having trouble again after messing around in that area, taping the wires etc. I realize the problem could be anything in that area in and around the computer but I would sure like to know what those units are. I'm not having the raw gas problem again it started running very rough and dies now after messing around in that area.

Attachments

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
Maybe you can look for some part numbers?
It looks like a connector you can pull, probably there is an inscription on the inside.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe you can look for some part numbers?
It looks like a connector you can pull, probably there is an inscription on the inside.
Hans, how are you ! I was afraid to mess with the black plugs behind. They are pretty tough to get to even though the pic doesn't look like it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hans, how are you ! I was afraid to mess with the black plugs behind. They are pretty tough to get to even though the pic doesn't look like it.
I am fine, but i thank you for asking my friend!

The connector itself is a sliding kind, that explains the (sorry don't know the word) guiding rail that you can see.
But they are very difficult to handle.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am fine, but i thank you for asking my friend!

The connector itself is a sliding kind, that explains the (sorry don't know the word) guiding rail that you can see.
But they are very difficult to handle.
I've already had that one off. I should have checked the number, you're right. Here is a better pic of the unit behind. It was that unit where the wires come from that I had to fix. Tommorrow I will probably unwrapped them again anyway and check them. I can probably do alot better job this time now that I figured how to get the aluminum computer box out of the way (other thread). You see dirt and junk from the mouse that I could not clean before because I couldn't get in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've already had that one off. I should have checked the number, you're right. Here is a better pic of the unit behind. It was that unit where the wires come from that I had to fix. Tommorrow I will probably unwrapped them again anyway and check them. I can probably do alot better job this time now that I figured how to get the aluminum computer box out of the way (other thread). You see dirt and junk from the mouse that I could not clean before because I couldn't get in there.
At least you have access to the modules inside now (indeed the other thread).
It makes things a lot clearer now.
For the wiring that is, the modules are still a bitch because complicated.
How on earth did you manage to get a mouse nest in there?
They must like your SL very much:D
Good pictures BTW

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At least you have access to the modules inside now (indeed the other thread).
It makes things a lot clearer now.
For the wiring that is, the modules are still a bitch because complicated.
How on earth did you manage to get a mouse nest in there?
They must like your SL very much:D
Good pictures BTW

one possible reason, lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, I think I found what they are. Since the nuts were alot easier on that black thing I took it off. The black thing behind simply appears to be a mounting for the cables coming in (pic below) and the white unit with a slide connecter (earlier pic) is a wiper relay, going by the part number. I guess it would not affect the running bad now or the extreme raw gas problem in the past.

Attachments

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
I'd say that everything that can be seen in those pictures should've been replaced years ago. Jmho.

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Like you said recheck the area the mouse chewed up and then check all the wires you can put your hands on and see if the mouse was dining somewhere else on your car. Beleive it or not for some reason they love to chew on wiring. Lots of homes burn down every year because of this.

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those units likely have nothing to do with my problem now or in the past, now that I know what they are. I intend to retape them and put it all back. I want to clean that light brown junk on the bottom what ever it is. Its hard to get off. I think its dried silt from dirty water overflowing from the drain hole in there because it was clogged with helicopters (maple seeds) and "mouse bedding." Its probably where the hood and windsheild are supposed to drain. Dumb mouse, if thats what it is, because it made a "dam" and soaked its nest.

·
Registered
1999 SL500, 2004 CLK500, 2006 Cadillac SRX
870 Posts
alchemy, although what you are saying makes sense, when I bought my car the driver seat would only move with the door open, as well as the outside mirrors, and the radio would not turn off when the car was turned off and the key removed. It turned out to be because the #13 fuse was blown - this fuse is for heated seat, cigar lighter, air bag indicator and rear window defroster switch. My point here is that these items are seemingly unrelated to the items that were not working, thus if you have a ground for you problem area in common with a wire or wires that the rat ate through and you are getting stray current, it could create your problem - but even this does not explain my problem - must be something else to do with common grounds? At minimum, I would attempt to fix any know damage before additional troubleshooting. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alchemy, although what you are saying makes sense, when I bought my car the driver seat would only move with the door open, as well as the outside mirrors, and the radio would not turn off when the car was turned off and the key removed. It turned out to be because the #13 fuse was blown - this fuse is for heated seat, cigar lighter, air bag indicator and rear window defroster switch. My point here is that these items are seemingly unrelated to the items that were not working, thus if you have a ground for you problem area in common with a wire or wires that the rat ate through and you are getting stray current, it could create your problem - but even this does not explain my problem - must be something else to do with common grounds? At minimum, I would attempt to fix any know damage before additional troubleshooting. Good luck!
Yes, I agree, I should not have made it sound absolute. I've seen 4 wires that had insulation eaten off and none anywhere else. They arent touching right now and Ill probably just retape them. I've looked several times for other areas where he may have been but I haven't seen any. At one time he was hiding peanuts somewhere in my trunk but I never did find where. He doesn't seem phased much by mothballs or drier sheets. He actually just removed the mothballs. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'97 SL500, 06 Subaru Outback, LL Bean 3.0
735 Posts
driver seat would only move with the door open, as well as the outside mirrors, and the radio would not turn off when the car was turned off and the key removed. It turned out to be because the #13 fuse was blown - this fuse is for heated seat, cigar lighter, air bag indicator and rear window defroster switch.

- must be something else to do with common grounds?
I don't think the fuse description given in the owners' manual is always accurate, or at least, always complete. You might scan the list and see if there should have been other fuses involved.

There is only one "ground". The ground connections for everything are all attached together at/by the ground.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts