Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at pictures of the GTG at the man cave, I noticed two of the cars up front in the picture have these weird fender lights or reflectors. I circled them in red. Does anyone know what they are. Part numbers pictures????

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 560 SL, 1990 300E 4Matic
465 Posts
Good catch. Interesting too. I know that repeaters are required in GB. Today they are mounted on the front fenders ahead of the A pillar. Could these have been early versions for the GB market? I enlarged your pic to see if they were right side drive, but couldn't.

·
Premium Member
9,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of all the car you can see in that picture, those seam to be the only two with them.

·
Registered
1955 300 SL
684 Posts

Perhaps examples of Option Code 341 described as "additional turn signal lamps."

·
Registered
Too Many
1,054 Posts
Cars are LHD - and super early 107's - missing RH mirror. I expect the SA code is the additional overtaking signal lights SA 10439, however there is little to go on in the EPC, so this would be dating back to microfiche Parts index records.

EPC info and filters are not clear enough to make an exacting determination.

·
Premium Member
9,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Perhaps examples of Option Code 341 described as "additional turn signal lamps."
It does appear to be. See attachment on first post of this thread.

·
Registered
Too Many
1,054 Posts
I've punted this on to a few knowledgeable chaps who have deeper understanding of early production. There are some theories as to whether or not these units have a recorded part number or if they were so early in production that they were almost immediately discontinued.

The issue is that for it to be a 341 option code, the part number would still be in the EPC. The january 1971 factory illustrated parts catalogue (pre microfiche) shows no record of the lens, no wiring harness, no change to the fender sheetmetal or headlamp bowl recess, and bear in mind this is a parts catalog for factory workshop service that pre-dates the production run by at least 3 months (official production commenced april 1971 with only 3 units produced in 1970). So if it is anywhere, it really should have been there... but it isn't.

Having said that - it comes as no surprise really. It's not an unusual issue to find oneself 'up against it' when trying to track down these obscure parts and options. Not only that, but when SA Codes are shared across model types, the illustration often does not coincide with the model to which the SA Code is being applied. Anyone eho has looked through the EPC will no doubt notice from time to time pictures of w126, w114/5/6, and even w124 parts diagrams show up in the EPC when trying to identify a part, even when a 107 vin is entered into the EPC/WIS.

It's certainly believable that it is "additional" something - but it's more likely to be some obscure SA code which is adjunct to an option code, which will hopefully eventually reveal the part numbers.
Or it could be a case of special order, however unlikely.

Just like the filter search in the EPC can hide things, so can the illustrated parts catalogue and the EPC.

I have one last option, which is to look into the microfiche parts catalogue from 1970-1 and see if there is some kind of diagram pertaining to typ107 for an obscure SA Code, but I won't be able to do that for a while.

If anyone else has the microfiche films, and some time on their hands, feel free to investigate - I'd like to know as much as everyone else here what the part numbers are.

·
Registered
Too Many
1,054 Posts
There was a response on the ozbenz FB page some time ago - they are apparently row markers - back in the day the dealers would drive the vehicles from sindelfingen to the dealership or transport hub for freight forwarding.
Each row is a 'destination' there is a lead marker and a tail marker apparently.

·
Premium Member
9,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That makes sense. Explains why the only two in the group are at an end of a row.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,363 Posts
Where at the sindelfingen plant was that taken? Trying to get my memory bearings down.

Did anyone else get the spatzle at the factory tour restaurant?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts