Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

This regards my 1989 300SE with 233k miles. I'm looking into upgrading my stereo and was looking near my battery for a place to run a positive cable for my amp. While doing this, I came across cut wire in the engine compartment, to the right of the battery, on the wall into to the cabin.

It is a red and yellow wire, wrapped together to make a black wire.

Any ideas as to what this is to?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Do not know what those are but as I had the hood up I checked if i could identify those. It looks like those could be the same as on my car which look a bit aftermarket thing. They are wrapped with electric tape and they are grounded to coolant tank bracket.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
Have you had a look at the other side of the firewall?

Where they lead on the other side should give you a clue to what purpose they served.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do not know what those are but as I had the hood up I checked if i could identify those. It looks like those could be the same as on my car which look a bit aftermarket thing. They are wrapped with electric tape and they are grounded to coolant tank bracket.
Thanks. My car does have parts to an aftermarket cell phone system. I have a microphone in my driver's side A-pillar. And a box in my trunk that based on the stamp is for cell phones.

Have you had a look at the other side of the firewall?

Where they lead on the other side should give you a clue to what purpose they served.
I appreciate the suggestion. I have not looked yet. But I will. I've been waiting to pull the glove box until I replace my S-belt tensioner system. I want to make sure the actuators work for the recycle for the AC. And I'm not running the car until I get that belt tight again.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion. I have not looked yet. But I will. I've been waiting to pull the glove box until I replace my S-belt tensioner system. I want to make sure the actuators work for the recycle for the AC. And I'm not running the car until I get that belt tight again.
You don't need to pull the glove box to access that conduit through the firewall. It's located below and to the outside of the glovebox area. You can get access by removing the mats in the passenger foot well and then pull the plastic cover underneath those. The hole in the firewall will then be visible.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't need to pull the glove box to access that conduit through the firewall. It's located below and to the outside of the glovebox area. You can get access by removing the mats in the passenger foot well and then pull the plastic cover underneath those. The hole in the firewall will then be visible.
Whoa! Now that's some serious useful information! Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts