Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just did some troubleshooting on a car that had similiar complaints as yours. These ol' MB's are old and the last couple weeks I am replacing lots of old rubber connections. Any place that seals or carries vaccum is about gone now.

Here is something I did to find some of my problems on another car. I have a little Mapp/Propane torch that has a hose setup for mapp gas and oxygen cylinders. The advantage of this is that I have a small torch head nozzle, so I can point in into tight areas. This is available at H-D and Lowes. Turn on a little trickle of mapp gas and run it around and see if you hear a RPM increase. I had some broken phenolic intake gaskets on a Toy LandCruiser it just found for me. I suspected it because I saw through OBD traces that my short term injector trims were way high and the O2 sensor was reading Lean at idle.

I'm sure when you got mapp gas around that leak, the motor would have revved.

This weeks fun was the IAC hoses, the injector seals, holders, and o-rings. Found a bunch of cracked vacuum fittings. Before tackling this, I had ordered a bunch of those custom vacuum fittings, knowing they would all have to go, and they were all soft and cracking.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts