Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have thoughts on the absolute plushest, deepest pile floormats available?

Making some headway on my restoration and putting the carpet back in is within site. Floormats are totally shot, obviously. I was planning GAHH but now I'm thinking why not upgrade. Like, Rolls or '57 Eldorado Brougham plush.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
479 Posts
Some places even offer wool carpets (like Rolls)--but you may get upset with maintenance (moths, stains, odor, etc). GAHH has Wilton Wool with rubber backing ready to go.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually landed on sheepskin. You can get a custom set for about $500. That Rolls lambswool looks incredible but not realistic price wise. Big thing I'm trying to figure out now is putting on the embroidered tri-star and heel pad.

Car isn't a DD so cleaning might not be terrible. Clearly more difficult than carpet but I'll pay for dry cleaning once a quarter. Here's the big thing though. I'm single. First time a girl takes her shoes off in that car... BAM! Locked down. Ask any woman. /s

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,538 Posts
I got some black sheepskin and got a seamstress friend to make covers that fit over the ribbed MB mats. Any well fitting mats would do though. So its almost like pillow cases with sheepskin on the upper face and backing cloth on the underside. So they can be slipped off for cleaning if needed.

The floor mats inside the sheepskin covers are necessary to hold the shape, like the original RR ones that have almost a solid backing. I had just sheepskin cut to shape previously and it wasn't ideal.

The heelmat was a challenge but I tried to copy the thick leather heelmat of a 60's Bentley we have, because even at this age the carpets and leather heelmat are great. It was hard to find leather thick enough but I got it on eBay after much searching. My friend then accurately shaved the area on the sheepskin using clippers and we aimed to stich velcro onto mat and underside of heelmat. She had a machine that did leather but it couldn't deal with this thicker leather so car upholstery guy I use did it for £20. I just wanted to be able to detach the heelmat for cleaning if necessary.

The end result is nice but doesn't photograph well because they are so black it's like a black hole 😂

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that is a really creepy statement. I can see why you're single.
Found the redditor /s

In Reddit convention you add "/s" to the end of something it means sarcasm. I thought it had become universal. I think it was kind of over the top enough for that to come across anyway but I have a hard time judging these things sometimes

·
Registered
2016 E400 Coupe
78 Posts
Even with sarcasm, please be aware that this forum is not limited to men. There are female members who read and post here, and I suspect that they would find this offensive.

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Even with sarcasm, please be aware that this forum is not limited to men. There are female members who read and post here, and I suspect that they would find this offensive.
My apologies. You're absolutely correct. Most of the women I know probably wouldn't be offended but communication is different on the internet and I see your point. To women MB owners please accept my apologies and assurance that it was supposed to be silly, not sexist.

Benzworld is such an incredible resource to keep these cars on the road. I wouldn't ever want to make any members feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. It wouldn't just be rude but would detract from the body of knowledge we're creating here. Keeping these cars running is the primary mission, IMO and sexism has no place here. Since I'm going to be on the forum a lot for the next year or so I've been trying to toe the line between fun and technical. I'll err a bit more on the technical side

·
Registered
1983 300SD
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got some black sheepskin and got a seamstress friend to make covers that fit over the ribbed MB mats. Any well fitting mats would do though. So its almost like pillow cases with sheepskin on the upper face and backing cloth on the underside. So they can be slipped off for cleaning if needed.

The floor mats inside the sheepskin covers are necessary to hold the shape, like the original RR ones that have almost a solid backing. I had just sheepskin cut to shape previously and it wasn't ideal.

The heelmat was a challenge but I tried to copy the thick leather heelmat of a 60's Bentley we have, because even at this age the carpets and leather heelmat are great. It was hard to find leather thick enough but I got it on eBay after much searching. My friend then accurately shaved the area on the sheepskin using clippers and we aimed to stich velcro onto mat and underside of heelmat. She had a machine that did leather but it couldn't deal with this thicker leather so car upholstery guy I use did it for £20. I just wanted to be able to detach the heelmat for cleaning if necessary.

The end result is nice but doesn't photograph well because they are so black it's like a black hole 😂
Is there any way you take some pictures of the black hole from a few different angles. Particularly the backing solution you have. I'm having trouble envisioning it. Obviously sheepskin is not period correct, but I'd like to have it look as period correct as possible.

The things I'm concerned about are 1) heel mat which I'd like to look as similar to the stock hard carpet 2) tri-star embroidery in corner 3) staying put. The place I'm going with has 7 shades of blue and is charging about the same ($500) as four pelts. They said the mats just stay in place but I'm skeptical. I'm getting them cut to the full length of the driver/pass carpet (not mat).

The solutions I'm thinking are
1) Embroidered MB-Tex; cut out heel pad from stock floor mat and sew/glue in; just go with thick leather and ignore the text
2) Find an saddle/tack shop that would ignore copyright and embroider it; find another cool embroidered vintage patch; cut out piece from stock floor mat and sew/glue in
3) Buttons (poppers) like on the carpet underneath; either one of a combination of two of the following: MLV, thin anti-fatigue mat, firm closed cell foam, anti slip rubberized spray, bendable but tough rubberized material

Do you have any thoughts based on your experience?

If it helps, I'm going with these. I can't find the vendor policy so let me know if this violates and I'll remove it. Figured since it's not an automotive vender it's alright -

1 - 9 of 9 Posts