Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just learning about ABC and what problems one can expect with it, what the parts costs are if I fix it DIY, and really just a feel for this whole thing before I buy an ABC equipped SL. I am in the UK so have the option of the SL without ABC, but I would prefer ABC if I can stomach the numbers.

So What at the main components to it?

ABC pump
Struts x4
ABC computer
A mono valve?

So I would eally appreciate if anyone knows more e.g.:

What these parts cost at the dealer (part only I.e. unfitted)?
Which ones are the most common problem?
What other parts have I missed off?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Off the top of my head you are missing:
Hoses, sensors, two valve blocks (which you called mono valve), pressure accumulators

Very rough estimates on parts are something like:
Pump: 1200
Block: 1200 x 2
Strut: 1800 x 4
Accumulator: 500 x 2

+ Lots of money on labor depending what breaks.

Things that most commonly fail are the pump, struts, hoses and valves. I think the biggest killer of these systems is lack of maintenance to be honest. If I could start over, I would take better care of mine but I simply didn't know that these things were that sensitive and MB doesn't even mention that system in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Off the top of my head you are missing:
Hoses, sensors, two valve blocks (which you called mono valve), pressure accumulators

Very rough estimates on parts are something like:
Pump: 1200
Block: 1200 x 2
Strut: 1800 x 4
Accumulator: 500 x 2

+ Lots of money on labor depending what breaks.

Things that most commonly fail are the pump, struts, hoses and valves. I think the biggest killer of these systems is lack of maintenance to be honest. If I could start over, I would take better care of mine but I simply didn't know that these things were that sensitive and MB doesn't even mention that system in the owner's manual.
Thanks

I went to the dealer before I had your reply. They quoted me for:
Struts x4 part numbers 230 320 87 13, 88 13, 230 320 02 13, 05 13 at about £1000 + tax per strut
And [022] valve unit 220 320 08 58/28 at £500 + tax.

I am not sure what the 'valve unit' is. He said that is the most commn part to fail (I'm not sure if he meant, the most common to fail apart from the strut?).

Someone will making a killing when breaking these cars for parts. £5000 for 4 struts new. Second hand... £2000? Do you think Mercedes will reduce the cost after some time? Otherwise all the R230s may be off the road! I don't think it's good PR for Mercedes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I recently replaced the rear valve block unit that the dealer said would cost $1800 without warranty. I have 2006 SL500, about 53k miles. Now i worry about the front valve block unit... The dealer also said thet struts were not easy to break down. True?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently replaced the rear valve block unit that the dealer said would cost $1800 without warranty. I have 2006 SL500, about 53k miles. Now i worry about the front valve block unit... The dealer also said thet struts were not easy to break down. True?
Struts are not that common to go and usually do it one at at time. Arnott in florida remanufactures the struts and one of mine recently started leaking so I'm going to replace it with a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
now, after my dealer replaced the rear valve block unit, the left side of the car body is half inch higher than the right side on a flat surface. is this normal with hydraulic pump? or i should ask dealer to check it out? or just me being ABC-phobia?

·
Registered
77 Posts
the dealer asked me to get it checked, saying it's not normal by that much. appointment is next week and I will report back to this group... thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts