Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are bumpstops? Can you answer these questions?

After trying lowering on my 89 300ce, I've failed on the front sides.
I've asked to H&R spring and these are questions from them.
I need your help!!

1. Were the bumpstops trimmed, or left out?

(How do I figure out? I bought this car 7 yrs ago and car was already lowered by privious
owner. I have no idea if he followed a proper steps to lower the car.)

2. Do you know if the shocks have the same spring perch height as the factory?

(The only thing I know is I used bilstein HD which fits with H&R spring. How would I
answer to this question?)

3. Can he take measurements from center of wheel to lip of fender? The fingers for
measurement do nothing for us. Does he have factory right height measurement?

(I can measure the length btw center of wheel and lip of fender. What does it mean by
factory right height measurement?)

These are pics after install shocks and springs for your understanding.
Pic1. Front
Pic2. Installed spring
Pic3. Rear
Many thanks~~

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
Those are the stick bump pads. See those little notches in the 1st pic? That means you have a #3 pad on the front.

If you are looking to go lower, get a #1 pad and it will lower the front by 10mm. Each # jumps by 5mm.

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are the stick bump pads. See those little notches in the 1st pic? That means you have a #3 pad on the front.

If you are looking to go lower, get a #1 pad and it will lower the front by 10mm. Each # jumps by 5mm.
Thanks for your comment. Bumpstop means spring shim?
My problem is even though I go with #1 pad which means lowered by 1cm, it is still high as you can recognize from my first pic.

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bumpstops are an elastic plastic bushing that goes around the strut shaft that prevents it from hammering the bottom of the strut if your cars suspension goes full compression.

here's a pic of one:

So it is attached on the strut itself. Does it have something to do with the car height?
Thanks~

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,466 Posts
The bumpstop slips over the top of the strut piston *before* the strut is installed. It has nothing to do with car ride height unless the car is lowered so much that the suspension is in full compression position at rest and I don't think that's possible.

Here's a shot of the front suspension on my TE#2 immediately after I purchased it. With over 200k miles on the car, the owner (original purchaser!) hadn't had the struts replaced and they were shot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
you also do realise that the rear fender flares are not the same distance to the wheelcenter than the front ones are, by design? your 'finger test' will always have less in the rear and more in the front unless the car is 'raked'

take a look at a profile pic of your car, draw some lines over it... under the tire, thru the centerline, across the tops and you'll see what I speak of.

can you show us how it looks?
do CEs have SLS? optional?

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
You can always cut a single or 1.5 coils off the springs and that will take care of the issue too.

Did he replace the rear shocks? Maybe they are just sagging in the rear?

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can always cut a single or 1.5 coils off the springs and that will take care of the issue too.

Did he replace the rear shocks? Maybe they are just sagging in the rear?
I've replaced shocks and springs fronts and rears at the same time.
If I don't figure out the reason cutting would be the only solution.

·
Registered
300CE
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you also do realise that the rear fender flares are not the same distance to the wheelcenter than the front ones are, by design? your 'finger test' will always have less in the rear and more in the front unless the car is 'raked'

take a look at a profile pic of your car, draw some lines over it... under the tire, thru the centerline, across the tops and you'll see what I speak of.

can you show us how it looks?
do CEs have SLS? optional?
As I know of, CE at least mine doesn't have SLS.
Profile pic shows car lowered by previous owner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts