Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With a little over 15k on my '02 '32, the stock Pilot Sports are about toast.

What are the suggested replacements? I figure now with some miles on, there might be a consensus or two? :)

Thx in advance!

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Define Best. What Criteria are important to you?

The best tires from a performance persepective are (in no particular order):

Michelin Pilot Sport 2's
Toyo T1s's (A newer version the T1R's are out but I have not seen any reviews)
Goodyear F1 GS-D3's
Falken Azenis RT-615's (I have read some good things about them but don't know of anyone using them on an MB)

·
Registered
SLK230
189 Posts
I'm trying out some Pirelli P-Zero Asim's right now. After toasting a set of Yokohama V102's.
Both the Yokos and the Pirellis are good. But the Pirellis are a softer compound, and have a better grip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My criteria is really just general purpose. It's a little frustrating to see the stock Pilot Sports worn out at 15k when my driving is pretty tame overall. I guess that's just a function of softer, grippier rubber.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Take a look at Kumho over at the Tire Rack site. They build a halfway decent tire that is cheap enough, even if you don't get the life you might want.
Look for: Kumho ECSTA MX, and Kumho ECSTA Supra 712.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have used the Kumho 712's in the past (the MX's were not out). It is tough to beat them in bang for buck. The Kumho's were much, much better than the Michelins I replaced and were less than 1/2 the price. When I say better I mean better all around, much better wet grip, better dry grip, comprable noise, and wear was about the same.

Many of us on the board are willing to take a hit on tread life for the extra grip.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you on the grip thing! I noticed major decline in traction last year. Anything but dry pavement is scary!

Will look at the Kumhos - thanks!

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I have noticed that the closer I get to the wear bars on the stock Conti's the worse the grip is, both wet and dry. Wet can entail some white knuckle driving.

·
Registered
1999 SLK230
112 Posts
Current tires on my 99 SLK (auto) are Yokohama Avid V4. These are reasonably priced, have very good wet and dry traction, are relatively quiet, and with about 25K miles on them still have quite a bit of tread left. My car is my daily driver and about half my miles are in Washington DC stop and go traffic. Most of the rest of the miles are 100 mile round trips to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay where I keep my boat. The car came with Dunlop Sports which were terrible - would hydroplane on the morning dew and they did not last that long. Then I got some Yokohama AVS dB tires and they were OK but only OK and not all that inexpensive. I do not run my car on any kind of track and do not care it the tires looks aggressive since I usually can't see them when I am driving.

·
Registered
2004 E55-1970 280SEC
2,026 Posts
Khumos are good tire for the price. Also check out the Yoko AVS-ES100s.

But if you want ultimate performance get the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's. Right now they are the best street performance tires.

If you do order from the tirerack.com, make sure you go to the benzworld sponsored forum and order from the guy theyre and tell him you were referred from benzworld. I just bought some tires this way. Helps out the admins with the cost of keeping up this site.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
Norb - 3/25/2005 1:39 PM

Khumos are good tire for the price. Also check out the Yoko AVS-ES100s.
Has anyone here tried the Yoko AVS-ES100s on the stock wheels? I have been considering a set of them for general purpose commuter type driving.

·
Registered
SLK230 Limited Editi
337 Posts
the goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3 is the best tire for this car....unbelieveable wet raod grip, no hydroplaning at highway speeds, and good tread life..i got my current set for 180 each through sears, and got 50k on my last set.

The pole positions wore in 15k, the michelins at 20-25k.

·
Registered
SLK 230
1,007 Posts
I run UniRoyals

I've been running on UniRoyal RainSports for a couple of years now. Good all round grip, and they seem to last a long time too. Slightly cheaper than the Goodyears, Dunlops etc. Not sure about availability in USA ??

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
RE: I run UniRoyals

BlueBenz - 4/12/2005 6:05 AM

I've been running on UniRoyal RainSports for a couple of years now. Good all round grip, and they seem to last a long time too. Slightly cheaper than the Goodyears, Dunlops etc. Not sure about availability in USA ??
We can get UniRoyal in the US just not sure about the RainSports.

·
Registered
2002 SLK32 AMG, 2006 CLS55 AMG
109 Posts
I'm running Pirelli P-Zero on mine, but they came on my car. They handle great in dry or wet. I've always used Bridgestone Potenza's on my other cars and they are well balanced. The Potenzas last the longest, my last set has 55k on the back and about 50k on front (on my 2002 Maxima SE). They are sticky enough, but bad in icy conditions.

The Pirellis are great and I'm hoping they will live at least 24k. The track well too, even on highway rain grooves.
TJ[:D]

·
Registered
2001 230 SLK
45 Posts
FYI,
01 SLK 230 with 17 sport alloy.
Just upgraded to Perilli P ZERO NERO M/S and wow! what a difference. Great tire, balance well with no probleming.
Good price from Tire Rack despite having to wait for 2 months while tire going through customs.
I am running Pilot Sport PS2 on BMW E39 and also highly rate the tire.[:D]

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
goodyear eagle f1 gs-d3
I love mine. Great tires, and they look good.

The P-Zero's I had on my car (SLK 32 AMG) were shot at 16K miles, and I thought I drove fairly mildly.

I'm hoping I get 20 K out of my Eagles.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Goodyear F1 GS-D3

they are the best in the wet, almost the best in dry, they have great wear resistance

check tirerack.com, everyoine raves about it and it has the highest % of people that will buy again

Etienne

·
Registered
SLK 320, E320 4_M
67 Posts
Just replaced Goodyear F1 DS 3s @ 30K miles on my 01 SLK 320 (18" wheels) with Michelin PS 2s. The DS 3s are a great tire for pure performance, but they are extremely noisy. Thus far the PS 2s are preforming just as well as the DS 3s, but have a much nicer ride and are quite. Either tire is a good choice--I prefer the quiter ride.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
The reviews for the Dunlop Sport Maxx tires are awesome. I've got a set on order. The Tire Rack has test results with them, do a search for the tire to find it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts