Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if other states / counties use different formulas, but her in Dutchess County NY, gasoline just doesn't smell like gasoline anymore.
It smells more like that clear Coleman camper stove fuel. I'm thinking it isn't better for my car.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
It's that blasted corn shit.

It's bad enough that we have to eat it in almost everything now. Now they are poisoning our cars too. I would blame it on the Commies if they were still around...

·
Registered
1985 500SL 130K (Horst)
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

It's bad enough that we have to eat it in almost everything now. Now they are poisoning our cars too. I would blame it on the Commies if they were still around...
Ah, but they are still around, they just dropped of the SR in the USSR.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,452 Posts
Stand by for sticker shock in the grocery store. The drought in the Corn Belt will affect prices on everything.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I used to drive to NY to fill up because Mass has Ethanol. It's runs ok but absorbed water like a sponge.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
PHP:
The drought in the Corn Belt will affect prices on everything.
I wonder if the drought and higher prices will lead to burning corn in humans in gas in cars. No, that would make too much sense and some politicians would lose kickbacks...

·
Registered
1989 560 SL - Signal Red & Palomino; 2011 C-300 - Black on Black 4MATIC
1,153 Posts
Anyone interested can search "Ethanol Gas" on the AACA forum, it has been discussed many times, but bottom line is it is good for politicians (both sides, unfortunately seem tied to this ludicrus idea) and farmers, but not as good for the environment as has been pitched to us, and downright bad for engines, especially older, carburated stuff. The two areas that are problematic are the destruction of rubber and gasket materials and the propensity for the gas to boil.

The only recourse for the deterioation of materials is replacing them - gakets, lines, fuel tank lining for older vehicles that have had the fuel tank boiled and sealed, etc. - a real PITA to say the least.

Also, the boiling or "vapor lock" can cause trouble, but luckilly the 107s have two things going for them in this regard, they are injected and the fuel is under significant enough pressure to avoid the boiling effect on a hot day. So far, this has not had the negative effect on my 107 that is has on the older stuff, but if they take it to E-15 or worse, that could impact a lot more people.

Incidently, both the new chainsaw I bought in the fall and the new VW my son just bought say to avoid ethanol gas right in the manuals, so manufacturers have not bought into this crap - they just don't have a choice - just like us...

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,168 Posts

Blame it on those damn Canadians. :eek:

·
Registered
1983 380SL
56 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like gasoline over there is tainted.

I'm fortunate here in Florida that there's a place I can regularly go to get non ethanol gasoline. My 380 used to get no better than 16-17 MPG combined and now its getting 19-20 MPG. Just like it was before ethanol started showing up at the pumps back in 2008.
After having to replace a leaking fuel line, I am never going to run it on 10% ethanol ever again.

·
Registered
'86 560SL 101,000 mi
71 Posts
Ugh. Corn is terrible for livestock, terrible for your waistline, and terrible for your engine. Anytime I have had to put ethanol containing gas into the 560, the gas mileage tanks. Unfortunately the state gov't subsidizes it, artificially making it cheaper than non-ethanol. It should be more expensive, since the cost of production to the amount of energy it releases is high. It is so far from being environmentally friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
'86 560SL 101,000 mi
71 Posts
That is one of the dumbest statements I have read in a long time.
What I mean is that cattle, for instance, really don't have the appropriate digestive track for the excess starch that exists in modern corn, and so because they cannot process it, they accumulate much more fat than they should. There are several documentaries out there that state this.

·
Registered
'86 560SL 101,000 mi
71 Posts
As it is, it does okay for how much corn beef is fed, since it is only fed immediately before slaughter. If it were fed more corn than it is now, you'd wind up with obese cows. Like how the fructose corn syrup in everything is aiding the rise in obesity.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Well, no one enjoys a "bad" fatty burger or steak with just the right amount of fat more than me, but I would go easy on PEP guys. If I am not mistaken she is one of our more youthful 107 pilots - while I am not a farmer and cannot speak to the best choice of fuel for beef, I will say she clearly got two out of three of the issues dead on. (OT but corn is really not that good for us human livestock..)

I am impressed a young person is that well informed about "Ethanol" - better than some I have spoken with who minimize the threat to engine operation/wear (yes, water content leading to wear another concern with this stuff) because they have been told by big brother that it is about saving mother earth and not back room politics... ;)

I bet this is someone who does not vote based on what Sean Penn or George Clooney tell her what to do, which makes her OK in my book! :D

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,452 Posts
Ugh. Corn is terrible for livestock,
This is what I disagreed with. A cattleman that regularly fed corn to his herd would not be a cattleman for very long.

The rise in obesity involves more than fructose and is more a topic for the OT forum.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Getting back on topic, another issue with Ethanol is a lower shelf life for stored gas. One product that seems to address the issue of keeping the chemical composition of the gas while in storage - especially in summertime is Marine Stabil brand gas stabilizer. The marine product is much more expensive, but it does seem to work in that regard as well as to some degree in helping prevent the tendancy for this stuff to boil at lower temps than true gasoline. At today's gas prices, you may find it is worth the investment if you keep any gas in cans around for any length of time.

As I mentioned, I think the 107 is able to cope with this stuff better than some vintage cars, but will likely use the Marine Stabil come winter anyway, you never know here in CT if it is going to be a long or short lay up over winter...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts