Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in college and have a budget. But check out this score I just got.
Original germany militery issue Galadewagen cabriolet from bout 82
It has:
4" body lift
35" tires on stock rims
Ford 460 w/ C6 and holley four barrel :D
Stock mercedes drivetrain (can't mess up prefection)
MSD blaster coil
K&N filter
Optima blue top

The car was imported by the department of Defense for the German Air Force but after the 460 swap it was impossiple to export it back. My buddy bought it off of him for cheap since it couldn't be retitled in the US. (yet :cool: ) My questions being a first time owner are.

1. Axle maintaince ! how hard is it, how often, where can I score the seals and benz lube for a good price. Where are those pesky Zerks.

2. Where could I get some new leathers. i would rather go OE than get a boat cover made.

3. Wiring diagram ? I have only found Deutsch re[air manuals. Are there any .pdf manual$ that anyone may know of.

Thanks for the help. I am a believer this is the only truck to own. Even if the motor swap was a lil sloppy. And the wiring is like older than my sister. This thing is a beast. Even without tags or a domestic title the only cop to pull me over did it to ask what it was.

·
Registered
98 BMW 528i
589 Posts
very jealous!

sorry cant really answer your questions. im sure more senior members here will be able to help you out! oh and welcome to benzworld!

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,095 Posts
Welcome!

Hipine has a GREAT pictorial "how to" axle service at clubgwagen.com and click the G-TECH tab. A wealth of knowledge on other topics as well.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
G55K, 360CS, F430
412 Posts
Hmmm......A Benz with a Ford motor. What is that??

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
You're on a budget? If it has the benz transmission in it you better drive it really gently until you have a budget to replace that tranny becuase it wont last long... that maybe why it's sold because it's already half dead. It was designed for strength with no more than a 2.8 liter gas motor in mind.

With 35's, others can answer better, but between 40-60k miles depending how you drive and maintain your stuff? I'd pretty much count on it needing a front axle service if it's that old and was for sale. It tends to work like that because people don't usually sell them right after an expensive or time consuming job. Another reason to drive it gently until you figure out the condition of the front bearings.

Cool that it's got a body lift (if done right) as opposed to a spring lift becuase then at least you don't have to chase down vibration issues...

You've got an interesting beast that's for sure. could be fun when all's said and done, but procede with a little caution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The German officer apparently already did the front axles when he brought it over. Main issues are the Ford C6 tranny. It slips, leaks like hell, and keeps it from seeing freeway time. Did get to drive it before the tranny went so far south and it was a tank on the freeway !!! The Benz Driveline is mostly intact and is doing very well. have been attacking the wiring issues that have plaqued it. German wiring doesn't age very nice. Need a wiring diagram for the dash. I seem to have no fuel gauge and the alternator light stays on. how would I post some pics on this forum ?? The 460 is kind of a big sissy with the slipping tranny. It is impossible to get it stuck. I drove through the Rio Grande at about half tide and made it all the way across. WOw. Thanks for the
guidance so far.

·
Registered
280 ge and 300gd
201 Posts
Wel the wiring problems are easy, the petrol level gauge will be a bad earth this is attached to the rear chassis tube just below the back door hinge on the round section tube and has acollection of earthing points all will have rotted away.

G wagon wiring is much better than later Merc wiring so thank your self lucky.

If the alternator light is on look no further than the conector block downstram by 3ft from the alternator this area can corrode heavily yet unnoticed. Remove all tabs and clean up or replace conectors.
If no joy the alternator regulator is probably at fault which is easy to replace in afew minutes. get agenuine one.

Check with amultimeter that there is 12v posative available on the red wire the heavy ones at the alternator either on or off failure here means abreak somewhere be carefull its live power and no fuses it will fry if shorted and will burn!.

Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts