Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sportline Suspension and 500E wheels.

I finally decided to put on the 500E wheels that I bought a little while ago and all I had to say was "WOW". The ride comfort suffered slightly, but now I see how the Sportline suspension was really intended to handle. The stock Sportline 205/60ZR15 size tires made the car feel a little wobbly around corners at any speed above 30mph. Now, with the 500E's 225/55/16 low profile tires, that wobbly feeling is gone. Long gone.

The car stance has been widened by an inch. The car appears to have lowered itself about a 1/2" or it could be that the tires have filled up most of those ugly gaps needed for suspension travel (who needs a suspension anyway).

I did fear, however, while on my driving escapades, that I would have a rubbing problem. I didn't. No rubbing whatsoever. Have taken corners with bumps, dips, and went over everything just to see if there would be any rubbing. To my satisfaction, there wasn't.

The only thing I found slightly irritating was the noise. Fatter, meatier tires meant more noise. It is something that I will learn to live with. If not, I'll go back to the original Sportlines.

Now, to hopefully source a nice set of 500E front fenders to encompass these meaty tires. If anyone has any... :)

Just thought I'd share my Easter adventures. The family was pretty impressed with the aggressive stance of the car when they were behind me. :thumbsup:

Happy Easter,
Allen

Attachments

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Nice :)
Tires are slightly tall. I believe you want 225/50/16. With 55 you should be off on your speedo.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires are slightly tall. I believe you want 225/50/16. With 55 you should be off on your speedo.
That will be something I'll think about when I'm going to buy new tires for them. The Firehawks on the wheels now should be good until winter comes. Thanks for that bit of info. :)

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
check your speedo with your gps, but I like running 225 50 17s on monoblocks.

I've run a pretty wide range of choices, and for me I like the tradeoffs with a stiffer 2 inches of rim (17") but still some added / soft tire height.

Your white coupe is beautiful, great look :)

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes Benz E320
121 Posts
+1. 50 tires are the ones you should have. But no harm with 55; your speedometer and odometer are probably just a little off, but more sidewall equals smoother ride. If you do get 50 tires, just wait and see how those improve the handling characteristics of the car (especially performance tires). BTW, your coupe is nice.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
check your speedo with your gps, but I like running 225 50 17s on monoblocks.

I've run a pretty wide range of choices, and for me I like the tradeoffs with a stiffer 2 inches of rim (17") but still some added / soft tire height.

Your white coupe is beautiful, great look :)
I'm probably one of the few people that don't have a GPS. :p

I don't know if I'd like to go any bigger than a 16" rim. Atleast on the suspension that I have it sure stiffened things up. I like the feeling, but I don't know how it's going to be for any longer trips. I've taken it for a few hour cruises with the new set up and it hasn't been fatiguing. Hopefully it'll stay that way, because I'm planning on a trip around Lake Michigan's shoreline over the summer. :)

And thanks, I try keeping her out of the elements as much as I can. I have to find a white convertible, it would probably be the rattiest one on Benzworld, but I'll try. I've seen more pictures of yours in particular and have been drooling over it ever since. :)

+1. 50 tires are the ones you should have. But no harm with 55; your speedometer and odometer are probably just a little off, but more sidewall equals smoother ride. If you do get 50 tires, just wait and see how those improve the handling characteristics of the car (especially performance tires). BTW, your coupe is nice.
Yea, when I eventually get new tires I'm going to go to the smaller 50 size. Looks like I'm going to have to. :D
Thank you for the compliment as well. Nice wheels btw.

·
Premium Member
Black on Black S124 Estate and White A124 Cabriolet
1,719 Posts
I think the 50s on my 17s are larger outside diameter than your 55s on 16s. The diff in rubber sidewall is only maybe 1/5 of an inch. Not much stiffer. As we are all agreeing, personal taste rules.

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After school today I went ahead and was looking at the tires. Low and behold, 225/50/16 size tires!

I was wondering why the spare Pirelli was rubbing, it's a 225/55/16.
So looks like I'm in the all clear. :)

·
Registered
1996, A124, E320 Sportline Cabriolet x 2
1,555 Posts
Thanks for that bsmuwk,

Do you have a "side on" shot on the flat? This is something I have thought of doing for a while.

What offset are the rims.

Regards, Inspector.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks bsmuwk,

My wheels have a 34 mm offset. Does this mean the centreline of the tire on the ground will be further from the cars centreline by 10 mm when using 500E wheels with a 44 mm offset? Or is it the other way around.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Ok,

The extra width (I make it 18 mm OA) must come from the wider rim, 8J vs 6 1/2J.

My car likes to wear the outer edge of the front tyres, and I was wondering if having a little extra width would tend to accelerate this tendency. Experimentation may be the only way to tell for sure but how is the tyre wear on the edges on your car. Any noticeable change.....

There will also be a tendency for the centreline of the wheel to change position with respect to the wheel bearings. Does this cause any alignment problems or any extra loading on the bearings or stub axel I wonder.

Had a Stag many years ago and wheels with a non standard offset would regularly break stub axels on friends cars. Is this a concern for the Benz??

Do the 500E guards bolt right on and fit. I wonder if the sills below the guard on the 500E were flared beyond the flare on the E320 making some alignment between the guard and the lower sill necessary to complete the conversion. Also I imagine the plastic panels need to be 500E ones. Picture attached but it is not as clear as I would like.

Regards to all, Inspector.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I couldn't get side shots today for you. Chicago has been having thunderstorms and downpours all day.

If your car is wearing out the outer edge of the tires, that to me is saying that something is out of alignment on the front end of your car. Before even putting any new wheels and tires on my car, the entire front end of the car was basically redone. Idler arm, idler arm bushing, left and right tie rods, and center link. After a few hours of work, I put on my 500E wheels and tires and went to the dealership to get an alignment for $50. I'm very detailed about the condition of my car, if something is happening that shouldn't be happening, I'm going to make sure it's right.

As for tire wear, it's too early to tell for me as I've driven on the set for about 400 miles now. I can tell you for sure though, my car is perfectly aligned.
I myself am now looking for a set of 500E front fenders. I know a few people around Chicago who would sell them too me, but not at the price I'd be willing to pay.

I'll get you a side shot as soon as I can.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yes I have to say your car looks very clean, I guessed you were looking after it pretty well. To me there are only a few cars that look better than a 124 or 126 Coupe lowered slightly, with an inch increase in wheel size. Slight tinting really makes the lighter colour ones look serious.

Do you think you will need the plastic panels and maybe mod your sills to make it all fit together. I would say it would be a most attractive mod if it is done correctly, and to be honest I think it would be the only one I would have seen. Might need to do something to the rear to keep it in proportion though.

On the alignment front, I can remember reading up on MB alignment on w124's and the general consensus was that the wider you go the more camber you needed to stop the car from chewing out the outside edges. This is why Sportlines have more camber up front than a non Sportlines. I was wondering if you might need a little more camber now that you are a little wider.

Please keep us all posted with progress as I am sure there are other people who would appreciate what you are doing.

I am looking forward to seeing a side shot or two.

Best regards, Inspector.

P.S. Do you have orthopaedic seats by any chance?

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I can't remember how much exactly, but I am running with a very slight negative camber on all 4 wheels. It was done this way per suggestion of my Benz Service Tech friend who has his own W124 of 13 years (94 E500), so he knows what he's doing.

For the 500E fenders, the plastic side panels do need to be updated with a correct 500E flared set. You could most likely heat and bend the ones on your car previously, but for fitment quality and originality, I would keep all the original parts original just in case. The 500E also has an extension of the wheelhouse liner. It's for better aerodynamics. The fenders use the same liner, except for the 500E extension (don't quote me on that).

And no, I don't have orthopedic seats. I wish I did though. At my young age I already herniated one of my spinal disks playing lacrosse a few years ago and it's never been the same. I'm also on the search for a decent set of Recaro Classics or Idealsitz.

·
Registered
93' W124 E36 AMG ; 71' Cadillac Eldorado
1,008 Posts
The 500E also has an extension of the wheelhouse liner. It's for better aerodynamics. The fenders use the same liner, except for the 500E extension (don't quote me on that).
I couldn't resist myself to ask if those wheelhouse liners (I think EPC calls them partition panels) from a 500E will fit a 300E?

You are talking about what is numbered 29 in the pic, don't You?

If they are good for 500E's aerodynamics, they would be good for any W124's aerodynamic :)

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
1,935 Posts
Wheel/Tire calculator

Check this wheel & tire calculator out, it's an awesome tool.

Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - BIGCUSTOMWHEELS

You'll see a place to compare two wheel/tire combo's

Plug your stock wheel/tire size in one of them and then plug in the desired wheel/tire sizes in the other.

You can play with all the sizes and it shows you what the speedo error will be, and if the wheels/tires will fit.

It makes the whole thing extremely easy....

Your CE is looking great...

·
Registered
Depends on the week
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I couldn't resist myself to ask if those wheelhouse liners (I think EPC calls them partition panels) from a 500E will fit a 300E?

You are talking about what is numbered 29 in the pic, don't You?

If they are good for 500E's aerodynamics, they would be good for any W124's aerodynamic :)
Yes, those are the panels. (29, 77, 41, and a few others)
I don't know for sure if they will fit a 300E. They might, but I can't say that I know.

Check this wheel & tire calculator out, it's an awesome tool.

Wheel / tire size calculator / comparer - BIGCUSTOMWHEELS

You'll see a place to compare two wheel/tire combo's

Plug your stock wheel/tire size in one of them and then plug in the desired wheel/tire sizes in the other.

You can play with all the sizes and it shows you what the speedo error will be, and if the wheels/tires will fit.

It makes the whole thing extremely easy....

Your CE is looking great...
Thanks for the compliment and according to that calculator, at 60mph on the speedo, I'm traveling 0.8% faster. Which to me, is a sacrifice enough.

Inspector,

I got your pictures. It was raining cats and dogs again today, when it stopped, I went to recharge the A/C for the summer and took some pictures. Don't mind what looks to be like a sagging rear end, it was parked diagonally on a decline. There is no rubbing and they fit like a dream.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
To me it looks like this is what MB should have specified for the Sportlines. Looks well proportioned form the shots you have taken.

Regards, Inspector.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts