Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening,

Well, all was going well yesterday, my new Pioneer headunit came in, I installed it. A lot of pollen had massed on my 300SD so i decided it was time for a bath. I took it down to this automated car wash, I put in a $5 (the wash+dry was $7) what does the machine do? IT EATS my 5. I end up ripping it in 1/2 trying to get it out of the thing. So I busted out 6 dollars in quarters. I had to settle for the wash without the drying. Anyway I'm in the car wash the machine is going at it and then this nice little stream starts to flow from the back left (driver's side) corner of my sun roof!!! Today I looked at it and the seal that is in that area is cracked and comming off the sunroof itself. I was wondering how much work is it to put in a new seal and is this the correct seal:

http://www.autohausaz.com/catalog/lookup_parts.cfm?SubcategoryID=1430&VehicleID=1194016&Qualifier=Front%20Sunroof%20Seal&CFID=633656&CFToken=60549492

Depending on how much labor is involved I might do this myself.

I really appreciate your input in this matter, thank you.

Kris

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC
195 Posts
At least your clear coat wasn't blown off like mine was. There's a big circle on the hood without clear coat. How depressing is that.

·
BenzWorld W126 Host
NOW: '90 560SEL WALD & SEC front Conversion. EOL:83/500SEC 5,6l 86/300SE 86/420SE 87/420SEL 87/260SE
827 Posts
I dont think my "dunkelblau" DB904 420SE '86 has a clear coat, but my SEC did when I bought it. Or at least it should of hade one, lets just put it that way. I would NEVER EVER EVER EVER consider putting a car in they automated wash, dang!

We have some new automated high pressure systems "no touch" systems that probably work OK, but it's never the same as high pressure diy work

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
jdc1244a - 5/15/2005 11:04 AM

MBs of this vintage need to be washed by hand.
Absolutely... Plus, hand washing your car is a much more rewarding and pleasing
experience than, say, an automated car wash.

It’s very dicey taking your car to an automated car wash. Jeopardizing your car’s
paintwork and finish in order to save a few minutes is not worth the risk, imo.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I may be hyper-paranoid about it but I fear the high-pressure wash will cause a leak in the window seals or tail light seal.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anyone know how to replace that seal on the sunroof that goes around the front and stops in the rear corners of it? mine is ALL cracked and coming off. Is it hard to do?

Kris

·
Registered
300 SEL- 190D- 380 SEC
227 Posts
Performance Products carries the weather strip. Purchase it and look at how it is constructed,you should be able to figure out how it mounts by doing so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts