Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was doing some spring cleaning and lifted the spare tire cover to find the wheel and wheel well to be wet. Not damp, mind you, but wet. The hard cover that serves as the floor of the trunk was wet on the underside just in a perfect circle around the area of the tire. The trunk itself and the rest of the underside of the floor is dry as a bone. Makes me think water is coming in from underneath. Definitely something for the dealer to deal with, but was wondering if anyone else out there has the same problem and, if you haven't looked there in a while (I never lift the floor of the trunk), maybe you too should check.

·
Registered
'06 SLK 350
192 Posts
that cover was a source of surprise for me as well. I decided to remove it to see how difficult it would be to get to the spare tire. I discovered that my spare tire arrived w/o air. You'd think that for $60,000 they could throw in a little free air. [|)]

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
I still can't get my spare tire out, so I guess I'll go searching with a flashlight. [;)]

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
Shiny_side_up - 4/15/2006 10:32 AM

that cover was a source of surprise for me as well. I decided to remove it to see how difficult it would be to get to the spare tire. I discovered that my spare tire arrived w/o air. You'd think that for $60,000 they could throw in a little free air. [|)]
The spare tire is an inflatable one. It is supposed to be inflated after removing from the floor of the trunk. An air compressor is supplied. I better check the trunk tonight to see if there is moisture, after rain and car wash.

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
I just got my car yesterday and now days they don’t supply a spare tire just some other solution to fix the flat tire (don’t really know what it is [:I])

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
A call to TeleAid? [;)]

·
Registered
2009 C350
30 Posts
Could it be that you drove on the rain or car wash, and afterwards put the top down before it dried out?

The moisture or water would drip to the bottom of the trunk and remain trapped?

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
NewMB - 4/15/2006 11:27 AM

I still can't get my spare tire out, so I guess I'll go searching with a flashlight. [;)]
I checked the trunk tonight. The floor cover comes off easily. The spare tire is inflatable but it is to be inflated after it is mounted and before you let down the jacks.

To remove the spare tire after unscrewing the large central retaining screw, one has to push the spare tire towards the front of the car, and lift the spare at the part nearest the rear of the car. It is a fairly tight squeeze to remove the spare tire and it will rub against the plastic that houses the locking mechanism for the trunk, but it can be removed.

There was no moisture in the spare tire compartment after 2 consecutive car washes (prior to Zaino treatment)and the moderate rains we had in Southern Calfornia in the past 2 weeks. I also removed the molded styrofoam that holds the jack, wheel wrench, air compressor, etc. and the metal floor was completely dry.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
Hey etyu - Thanks for the tip. Never thought of moving the tire toward the front. I tried to simply yank the tire out by yanking backwards on it. I'll have to give it a try. [:)]

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
NewMB - 4/15/2006 9:46 PM

Hey etyu - Thanks for the tip. Never thought of moving the tire toward the front. I tried to simply yank the tire out by yanking backwards on it. I'll have to give it a try. [:)]
You're very welcome.[:)]

·
Registered
06 SLK 350, 03 C320
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
casperslk - 4/13/2006 8:00 PM

Could it be that you drove on the rain or car wash, and afterwards put the top down before it dried out?

The moisture or water would drip to the bottom of the trunk and remain trapped?
Hmmm.. don't think I did that. But its a good point. With a Zaino treatment water does just run right off. A wet top would have some water on it and, once in the trunk, it would run all over. But I didn't do that. Good creative thinking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts