Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the correct procedure and what grit sandpaper to use when wet sanding something? I bumped my motorcycle with the lawnmower last night and left about a 1" scratch right on the front fender. Gotta love yard work!

·
Registered
2005 E500S4
351 Posts
slanford77 said:
Does anyone know what the correct procedure and what grit sandpaper to use when wet sanding something? I bumped my motorcycle with the lawnmower last night and left about a 1" scratch right on the front fender. Gotta love yard work!
Before trying wet sanding why not try some less risky solutions. If they do not work you can always resort to wet sanding but you can't go back without adding paint. Try some rubbing compound followed by glazing (3M imperial hand glaze) and then a good wax and see if it is acceptable. Don't get too perfectionist or you will end up with something that looks worse than what you started with. This is a time to be very conservative and take small steps.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, Slanford.

What kind of bike do you have? Mine's in my profile, where's yours? :)

JP has you on the right track. Whenever working with paint my philosophy is start mildest and move upwards.

That said, however, if you can easily catch the scratch with your fingernail, you may have to end up drastic. If not, I usually start with clay to see what that does, always working with the scratch direction, not across it.

If that doesn't work, I progress to SSR 1, then 2 and if it's really bad, SSR 3 (these are all liquid-paste scratch removers). Rather than the sponge-type applicator, I tend more to use a micro-fiber cloth or a soft terrycloth cloth folded over itself.

For all of the above, speed is more important than pressure, you want to move over the surface rather quickly, but don't press very hard. Speed and repetition, speed and repetition.

If those don't work, then you can think about sanding, but if you've gotten past SSR3 into sanding, it's likely you're then also talking about repainting at that point.

Take care and enjoy both rides,
Greg

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Greg,

I've got a 2003 Victory cruiser. I've looked at getting rid of it, but for what I can get for it, there's not anything that I'd rather have. It's got a 92 cube motor and a flame paint job. I've done some work on the motor and it'll run like hell for big bike! Anyway, I can definitely catch the scratch with a fingernail. It's about 1/8" by 1" through the paint. I know I'm going to have to use touch up paint and then blend it in. I'm just planning on wet sanding it to get the touch up paint to the same level as the real paint.

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
400 and 600 wet or dry paper, obviously wet sanding. If it's really bad start with the 400, if not use the 600.

Then shoot the lawnmower for being so disrespectful. :)

·
Registered
2003 E500 Sport
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gregs210 said:
400 and 600 wet or dry paper, obviously wet sanding. If it's really bad start with the 400, if not use the 600.

Then shoot the lawnmower for being so disrespectful. :)

Greg,

Shooting it would be letting it off too easy. It's actually dieing a slow, painful death right now. I think I'll let it suffer for this offense. I'm just waiting on it to die so I can get a lawn service. My wife won't let me hire someone to do the lawn for me while we still have our own mower.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts