Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take tour of the mountains and valleys surrounding Death Valley. The likely path includes some historical mining sites and ghost towns. Most of the wheeling will be pretty easy, some difficult spots. Two nights of camping in the outback.

http://www.deckowski.com/next trip.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
300GE Cab, 6.9
556 Posts
You're Killin' Me!

I would LOVE to go to DV. I have a baby due in mid April, and I think my wife would pull a Lorena Bobbit on me if I even broached the subject.
——————————————————————
From a recent article in the L.A. Times:

Brief Ressurection for Death Valley

Brief resurrection for Death Valley

With the snowcapped Panamint Mountains in the background, Cole Fulwider wades in a lake 282 feet below sea level left by recent storms. Record rainfall has transformed the normally bone-dry desert with flowers and pools, drawing tourists before withering heat returns.

Photo by Genaro Molina / LAT

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
RE: You're Killin' Me!

Captain Spalding - 3/14/2005 7:43 PM

pull a Lorena Bobbit on me
Captain, get rid of all the knives in your house. Say no to bobbits and yes to love.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
I had to ask my wife who Bobbit is and she knew immediately. Yipes. For some reason all of the rain that falls on Oregon in the winter has gone to CA and Death valley. This has started the season for me about a month and a half early. I'm not amused. I would love to attend with the Boonester and the rest of the family but it's not in the cards this time. An incredible time to go there. I'm envious.

-Dai

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
Can't wait!

I can't wait for this trip! Death Valley is one of my favorite places. Certain sections are very remote and you feel like you are REALLY away from civilization. The winter weather has probably made the terrain even more interesting to cross, so it should be a great trip.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
what days...

How are you managing the drive to and from? Are ya'll taking friday through tuesday off?... I'm a little short on vacation this year so that might be tight.

I don't have a 2-way radio. How big an issue (or purchase) is that?

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
RE: what days...

So from my end...I'm heading down either late Friday night or VERY early Saturday morning. So I will be at work on Friday. Heading back the plan is to leave DV on Monday by 2-3pm on the north side and take 395 north and across via yosemite. So back to work on Tuesday.

As far as radio...you can use a cheap FRS.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: what days...

I'll most likely be starting off from Santa Barbara very early Saturday morning. I might go the day before though. As far as radios go, I can loan you a radio modified to operate on the MURS band. I'll have to test it as it hasn't been used for a while. Failing that, my truck has a cross band repeater, so it can route radio traffic between various bands.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
ohhh... tempting...

Shoot, if only taking one day off, that's much more manageable... o.k... i might have to do this...

Oh, what about taking extra fuel? I've got a 25 gallon tank... you guys think i need extra fuel cans or i'll be alright?

Any chance i should bring my mountain bike?

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
RE: ohhh... tempting...

ewalberg - 3/17/2005 1:57 PM

Shoot, if only taking one day off, that's much more manageable... o.k... i might have to do this...

Oh, what about taking extra fuel? I've got a 25 gallon tank... you guys think i need extra fuel cans or i'll be alright?

I'm a bit of a boyscout. I always carry at least an extra 5 gallons, but there will be one spot about 1/2 way to refuel.

Not sure you'll have much time to ride the bike, unless we have an extra person to drive the truck and you can follow.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: ohhh... tempting...

ewalberg - 3/17/2005 1:57 PM

Would be great to have you there!

I carry my own 10 liter can of diesel. Never needed it (yet).

I'll be bringing my mountain bike. Bikes are limited to existing roads in the National Park.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Where are you planning to camp, Alan?

Just curious. I won't be able to join you, but if I know where you're going and what routes, I can live vicariously with the maps. [:)]

-Dave G.

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
I might be able to answer

Hipine - 3/19/2005 11:23 AM

Just curious. I won't be able to join you, but if I know where you're going and what routes, I can live vicariously with the maps. [:)]

-Dave G.
Hi Dave!

So our route is still a bit in the air. Highway 190 is still closed in a couple of spots, so echo canyon is not accessable. Titus canyon is still closed due to flooding. I'm hoping that one or both open in time for the trip....otherwise,we might do a north to south route, which would mean Eureka dunes, Saline Valley, Lippencott rd, Racetrack, Ubehebe crater, mengal pass, south loop, Pleaseant canyon.

Hope that helps!

Take care,
Tom

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RE: Where are you planning to camp, Alan?

Hipine - 3/19/2005 11:23 AM

-Dave G.
Dave, didn't mean to leave you hanging. The unusual weather (6+ inches of rain, 2 is normal) has thrown the park into disarray. I imagine that an enterprising group of 4-wheelers could get through most of the mess, however the park service might have other ideas.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
some details...

well, let's just assume i'm going because i've wanted to hit the valley for a long long time and this fits my schedule well, and the flowers are supposed to be amazing right now... gettin' jealous harald?!?!?!

I've invited my dad but he'll be in vegas until saturday morn, but there's some chance he can meet me somewhere.

A couple of questions then...

1) i know locations are still in the air but in which-ever scenarios how far will we be from vegas on saturday?

2) Oh, will we be doing (or will there be any time for any hiking?... or hot springs for that matter?

Then some practical stuff...

1) so i don't have the radio... Alan you said you had something you could rig up to work?

2) Cabin air filter... alan, you've got something rigged in your truck and i'm thinking this is a fine time to implement that on mine... what hardware cloth did you use? You just bought cloth, made folds by hand, and stuffed in in somewhere?... i just searched the picture you posted a while back, but i wasn't sure if the new one is shown fitted completely or in process.

·
Registered
1980 LWB 280GE
3,504 Posts
Sounds like a great trip.

All the best ones are made up as you go along. That's a great general route plan, and flexible enough to be able to just have fun, dependingon what you find along the way.

-Dave

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RE: some details...

ewalberg - 3/22/2005 8:11 PM
<snip>

1) i know locations are still in the air but in which-ever scenarios how far will we be from vegas on saturday?

2) Oh, will we be doing (or will there be any time for any hiking?... or hot springs for that matter?
The closest we would likely get is ~140 miles (or 2.5hrs according to TopoUSA). That would likely be Saturday Evening. But as stated the route is up in the air.

I am certainly up for hiking and will most likely have my mountain bike along as I am transporting it back from an adjoining vacation. There are lots of opportunities for hiking around.

1) so i don't have the radio... Alan you said you had something you could rig up to work?

2) Cabin air filter... alan, you've got something rigged in your truck and i'm thinking this is a fine time to implement that on mine... what hardware cloth did you use? You just bought cloth, made folds by hand, and stuffed in in somewhere?... i just searched the picture you posted a while back, but i wasn't sure if the new one is shown fitted completely or in process.
I'll need to test the radios, but I have several operating on different bands. One will surely work. The cabin filter would be easy to do in person. The basic design is to use some metal hardware cloth (~1/4" weave) to provide a floor to keep the element from falling through onto the AC condensor. Then cut a pleated filter element such that it is 1-2mm larger than the rectangular opening. Pleats should run front to back for maximum air flow. OK, so I'm not an English major ... now you've made me go and shoot a picture ...

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
RE: some details...

AlanMcR - 3/23/2005 1:37 PM

<snip>

The closest we would likely get is ~140 miles (or 2.5hrs according to TopoUSA). That would likely be Saturday Evening. But as stated the route is up in the air.

I am certainly up for hiking and will most likely have my mountain bike along as I am transporting it back from an adjoining vacation. There are lots of opportunities for hiking around.

I'll need to test the radios, but I have several operating on different bands. One will surely work. The cabin filter would be easy to do in person. The basic design is to use some metal hardware cloth (~1/4" weave) to provide a floor to keep the element from falling through onto the AC condensor. Then cut a pleated filter element such that it is 1-2mm larger than the rectangular opening. Pleats should run front to back for maximum air flow. OK, so I'm not an English major ... now you've made me go and shoot a picture ...
We will have time to hike (see some petroglyphs) and take a dip in the hot springs.

·
Registered
'05 ML500, '85 300GD
466 Posts
weather and conditions

While the weather in the lower elevations will be VERY nice, some of the trails like Pleasant Canyon are still under snow.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts