Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
07 E63 AMG Black on Black
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any GOOD sources for a Northern Calif wheel repair facility? I managed to hit a cavern of a pot hole with my E500, 19" Lorinser LM6 equipped and bent the outer lips on the left front and rear wheels. I already know of Stckton Wheel, just looking for others.

I am hoping to have them repaired since they are real pricey to replace and only two months old.

Believe it or not, this happened on a stretch of heavily traveled highway ... calif tax dollars at work! It blew the front tire and at 75MPH the stability control kicked in, safe return to the shoulder. Nice feature that probably saved a wild ride into the guard rail.

Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2006 E320 CDI, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2009 GL320 Bluetec
1,476 Posts
I say toss that rim or hang it on the garage wall for as a conversation piece.

Are these wheels machined from a solid billet? I think you know where I am going with that...repairs should not be attempted due to permanent loss of material strength of the original metal structures. The fact you lost tire pressure points to wide spread damage plus weakening of the rim which may not be visible to the naked eye until later on when it fails.

The last thing you need is a fragmented rim which departs the car after a repair is made...not worth it!

Even if you get a good welder to lay in a patch now you have an unknown metal strength of the original aluminum alloy due to heating in addition to varying alloy content of the weld metal.

Claim it on the insurance, depending on your deductable it will be money well spent.

DB

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drivbiwire said:
I say toss that rim or hang it on the garage wall for as a conversation piece.

Are these wheels machined from a solid billet? I think you know where I am going with that...repairs should not be attempted due to permanent loss of material strength of the original metal structures. The fact you lost tire pressure points to wide spread damage plus weakening of the rim which may not be visible to the naked eye until later on when it fails.

The last thing you need is a fragmented rim which departs the car after a repair is made...not worth it!

Even if you get a good welder to lay in a patch now you have an unknown metal strength of the original aluminum alloy due to heating in addition to varying alloy content of the weld metal.

Claim it on the insurance, depending on your deductable it will be money well spent.

DB
Lorinser LM6 wheels are two piece, thus the ultra light weight and much higher prices. The center section is CNC'd, however the outer rim is not. It is the outer rim that is damaged. They can be repaired, I have had it performed on my Ferrari twice. Unfortunately the shop that did the repair changed ownership and I understand the quality has taken a nose dive.
At $1,900.00 apiece, I'll explore options before scrapping them. In addition I use a FAA licensed shop that does all of my avaition related magna flux and xray work, I'll send the wheels to them before mounting.

Now .. back to a suggestion for a reptable shop in Norther caif!

DBW ... I do have a question for you, please don't take it personally. You impress me as being the type that hands out advice and opinions like a fire hydrant uncapped. Do you employ these skills in the cockpit? It must be a real bitch below 10,000 feet when on approach and conversation is sterile to the tasks at hand. I have followed your posts with utter amazement. The last on "diesels" was a real experience. I see another on "oil additives". Yet another on Fuel company profits. Is there a subject out there were you sit back and remain silent, or contribute specific information that is based on either experience or academic background? Let's keep this off the general post, since I am interested in credible advice, PM me.

Mind the fact that I was flying F4's when you were a babe in diapers, completed my degree's when you learned that ABC's were letters. You are not talking to a 30 yr old.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all

Thanks for all the PM's from the folks in the know. I found the Sacramento based company as referred and they said the repair would be fairly easy. For anyone elsr, the company is called Precision Wheel, based in Sac. They have all the equipment, I got the full shop tour.

·
Registered
2009 C63 AMG
137 Posts
lear31a driver said:
DBW ... I do have a question for you, please don't take it personally. You impress me as being the type that hands out advice and opinions like a fire hydrant uncapped. Do you employ these skills in the cockpit? It must be a real bitch below 10,000 feet when on approach and conversation is sterile to the tasks at hand. I have followed your posts with utter amazement. The last on "diesels" was a real experience. I see another on "oil additives". Yet another on Fuel company profits. Is there a subject out there were you sit back and remain silent, or contribute specific information that is based on either experience or academic background? Let's keep this off the general post, since I am interested in credible advice, PM me.

Mind the fact that I was flying F4's when you were a babe in diapers, completed my degree's when you learned that ABC's were letters. You are not talking to a 30 yr old.
DB sleeps at the Holiday Inn, maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts