Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't suppose anyone could tell me, with 100% certaintly, how the Werner Front butt plate (Polterschild) that lifts the logs up to stack them, is attached? is it a standard DIN attachment? Does it quick release? Could, hypothetically speaking, one remove the Polterschild, and attach a snow plow?

Reason I ask, is the ones with the front Poltershild all seem to have the front bumper missing the centre section. That, and I'M uncertain of what a proper DIN mount looks like on the 406.

more pictures: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/1445390-front-poldershild.html

Thanks

·
Registered
'88 U-1300L, '70 406, '78 406, '78 416 project, '82 406, '57 404, '65 404, '70 404, '68 Haflinger.
1,849 Posts
Hi Trev,

A few comments if you will ignore that "100% correct" pre-requirement :)

From those pictures it looks like the assembly connects to a "J" shaped mount on each side. These mounts are very similar to the brackets used for a FEL, if not the same. The brackets are connected by a big bolt at the top and a smaller bolt at the bottom rear, where the bottom of the workplate mounts. Those are somewhat quick connect but I think you are inquiring as to whether the front 'blade' portion of the log lifter could be quick-connected/disconnected, and if a snow blade could be mounted there instead.

From abundant experience with blades on the front of a 406, even if the snow plow could be mounted there, observe the angle the lifting arms make, very downward to the front. The effect is that the blade gets shoved into the ground upon contacting any obstacle. That's a desired trait to lift a log, but highly undesired to scrape a road. That's why a snow blade would ideally be supported from points much lower on the vehicle so tendency is for the snow plow to ride up and over an obstacle, not be powered down into it.

Bob

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

Thanks. But no, I was actually inquiring if that mount is the same as a DIN mount, and a person could just undo that whole kit (log lifter, arms, brackets, etc, right back to the mog) and quick mount the hoop and blade assy.

Basically, if I bought one of these, could I easily pull off double duty, snow clearing in the winter, log stacking in the summer/winter, without a LOT of work swapping stuff over.

ie, drive into the shed, put wood blocks under the Polterschild, detach, back up, drive up to the plow, hook up hydraulics, mount using hydraulics, and plow the driveway and road.

My worry would be the Werner forestry plates that are underneath, would those have to be removed for the arms that go back for the snow plow mounts? or is that style (the arms that mount into the eyelets on the frame) only an MBU/SBU thing?

I know truktor did a series on 406 plow mounts, and a series on the Werner Polterschild's, and I've looked at them both side by side, I think, they are vastly different how they mount to the truck, and not sure if it would be feasible to change from one to the other for different duties. Perhaps the Werner Forestry Spec is just too specialized to do its forestry task?

Looking at this plow mount, it looks to perhaps mount in the same pin and hole locations as the log lifter? but I hate to assume ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts