Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 forst
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 406 forestry Mog with two Werner PTO winches. I don't know exactly how they are supposed to operate. I don't know if they feed cable out as well as in.

I have a control on a plug in cord with 2 pair of lower and raise buttons and another button. I am able to raise the left winch by actuating the single button and a raise button. The right winch raises intermittently using a similar combination. However, the winches won't pay out cable.

I know I have some problems to resolve. After stopping the engine I can actuate the controls and hear some of the air valves actuate.

Is anyone familiar with how these winches are supposed to operate?

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
Are these the mid-mount winches also used on the Uni-Knicks ??

http://www.uniknick.de/uniknick.htm

If so, e-mail this guy:

D. Thane Cody: [email protected]

He's got a Uni-Knick with the mid-mount dual drum Werner setup.

·
Registered
87 300gd, 84 mog 406
57 Posts
WoW those uniknick's are really cool, a guy could gather some serious firewood with one of those babies. Koolmoose that setup looks a lot like yours if you bought the one on e-bay a while back, I was tempted by it...but my wife is still recovering from "our" recent g-wagen aquisition.

·
Registered
406 forst
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woohoo! I got both winches working today! I believe the Mog has been sitting idle since about Nov 2001 so I ran the Mog to get air pressure and then exercised the winch controls many times with the engine off to free things up a bit. After taking off the side panels and looking at the electric actuated air valves I guessed that the winches do not power out. The 'lower' button releases the brake which allows the drum to free roll. My wife held the lower button down while I pulled the half inch cable out 300 feet with a Quad.

There is still one push button at the base of the hand control isolated from the raise/lower buttons I don't understand. It is connected to what looks like a large capacitor in the hand control. The first few times I got the left winch to move was the result of holding this button down as well as the raise button. Now that the winches have seen some exercise this button doesn't seem necessary.

Yes, the Unimog is the one which was recently sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4530171942&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I hope to use the Unimog to move small trees from around homes (for fire safety) once I get the Unimog restored.

Our county has a chipping program and will chip whole trees or brush up to 7 inches in diameter for one full day for free, but homeowners must drag trees and brush to an area accessible to a large trailer mounted chipper and pile it in such a way that it can be hand loaded into chippers. I have found that cutting the vegetation is the smaller part of the job. Moving and piling vegetation requires the most work and I have been using a Quad to skid brush and small trees to driveway areas. This can be hazardous as I often have to move brush 200-300 feet across 30% grades.

To complicate things further, our state (CA) recently passed a law increasing the defensible space from 30 to 100 feet around homes in wilderness areas. This order of magnitude increase in defensible space requirements means a huge increase in my workload and makes my service affordable only to the wealthy.

I am hoping the Mog will allow me to move and precisely place much larger loads with much better efficiency and safety so that ordinary people can afford my clearing services. I live in an area that has very little flat ground. From my experience about 3 in 10 of the homesites have over 30% grade and thus will be candidates for skyline work which is three times slower than skidding.

I am going to have to learn skyline logging! Any Moggers with logging experience or tools out there please chime in.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,407 Posts
koolmoose - 3/31/2005 12:28 AM
Yes, the Unimog is the one which was recently sold on ebay.
Hah - small world. Guess you didn't need that e-mail address I sent you seeing it was his truck [:D]

I sat in that truck - cool accessories but lot's of TLC needed. Start of a nice project...

·
Registered
406 forst
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After tracing down various wires and linkages I found that the fifth button on the winch control connects to the throttle. It doesn't work but from the way it is connected it appears to rev the engine.

·
Registered
406 forst
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The throttle button sets a 'step over' type relay to the opposite setting. Press to go to full throttle and press again to go to idle. Relay goes to air valve which actuates pull cylinder which pulls throttle cable.

New Bosch relay cost $96. Works good now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts