Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings AMG drivers--<br>
<br>
It's been a pleasure to lurk a while on your forum--it seems every bit as knowlegable and friendly as the Viper forum. <br>
<br>
But I have a question: <br>
<br>
Where would I go on the web to find postings of Mercedes for sale by owners? <br>
<br>
I ask because, although I love my Viper, and it has been a blast, I'm considering something a little easier on my back. Damn, I must be getting old, huh?<br>
<br>
Anyhow, when I want a Viper, I know where to go, but I have no clue where to find good postings on E55's.<br>
<br>
I'm attracted to the E55 because I've learned over the years with my experience with modifying cars, then driving the Viper, that power isn't the most important thing. (It took me a while to figure this out--not very bright)<br>
<br>
What makes a car for me goes beyond the pure horsepower and torque numbers. Not way beyond them, mind you, but beyond them. More important to me is how the pieces come together to make a truly perfect machine to attack the road.<br>
<br>
For me the Viper ACR succeeds breathtakingly well, but falls down in a few areas:<br>
<br>
1) Comfort. The ACR Racing seats, are, well, racing seats. You will never forget yourself and think you are in your lexus. Ever. lol.<br>
<br>
2) Noise. 10 Cylinders. 470 horsepower. Detroit fit and finish of window moulding. It ain't pretty. Luckily, the stereo is LOUD.<br>
<br>
3) That thing on the center console sticking out. What is that? Oh! It's a shift lever. Didn't those go out in the 1900's? Damn I hate manuals. They are so last millenium. I would like to do my part to make stick shifts and clutches a thing of the past. Although I've seen one message about someone's E55 tranny blowing, it seems like, all-in-all, the E55 auto is pretty tough. Perhaps as tough as the Viper drivetrain and tranny, though I've never heard of anyone on the Viper forum burning out a clutch (that's right! Not even once! And we all drive with our hair on fire).<br>
<br>
I'm 35 now, and it's time I chose a ride that reflects my style a bit better than the Viper, perhaps. <br>
<br>
Anyhow, greetings again, and I'll continue to lurk...<br>
Todd <br>
<br>
p.s. Jamie C, your postings are classic! I read every one! Your rants on Porches especially get me going, making my point about the 'total package' better than I could.<br>
<p>proxy2.lsil.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are a variety of places to look and the good news is that there are a lot available now.<br> <br> I usually start at Autotrader.com to get a feel for the market. Forget the bozos who are asking $80,000...they are living in the past.<br> <br> There are now three years of used cars (99, 00 & 01)out there. The market varies and the 99's really are not any different than the 01's. The market for a 15,000 mile 99 should be $50-54,000. 01's with 5-10,000 miles at $60-65,000.<br> <br> There are a variety of new 02's on Ebay Motors (search E55)that will sell below MSRP especially now that winter is coming. I'd contact the dealers directly MB of Houston, MB of Oklahoma City, etc.<br> <br> For used cars look at Isringhausen.com in Illinois and rpmsportscars.com in Houston - both very reputable and have cars. I bought a Porsche Turbo from RPM sight unseen and he was true to his word. He has a nice '01 and Isringhausen has two '99's that look good. If not those dealers there are many others available around the country. <br> <br> Hope this was helpful. E55's are great cars.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Here's one ...

I would be very careful about price guide numbers for the E55. Values are changing and I do not find them to be either realistic nor reflective of actual sales.<p>host5.wabash-mgmt.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advice ...

<br> ... just trying to 'steer' the guy in the direction of an E55 for sale ...<p>fl-del1c1a-292.pbc.adelphia.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I may have a 99 E55, Blk/blk, 19Kmile car coming in...

Nice car. Obsidian black,all black interior, cd changer, 19,000miles, no winters, no road rash, priced in the high 40's shipped to you. It's a Canadian car but they can cross easily into the U.S., no epa/dot needed.<p>trt-on79-047.netcom.ca

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
someone from my office is selling his, email only if serious please

2001 silver E55, 4600 miles, he wanted something a little slower and more mellow. low $60,000s<p>b0hx10jmy5qe.bc.hsia.telus.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Good advice ...

Drew, are you still alive. Have not seen any recent post from you. How is the car? Hope all is well. Had to change my dash recently, had a hairline crack around the passenger airbag, apart from that nothing else to report.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I'm still alive ...

<br> Mike,<br> <br> Sorry, I've been a little preoccupied ... just had my first child ... and trying to understand how anyone can carry-on a normal life with a newborn in the mix.<br> <br> Also sorry to hear about the cracked dash ... glad it wasn't more serious ... and I assume it was fixed under warranty. <br> <br> Other than a curbed wheel ... I've not had a single solitary problem with my '01 (that sound you hear is me knocking on wood).<br> <br> Drew.<p>fl-del1c1a-292.pbc.adelphia.net

1 - 10 of 10 Posts